No announcement yet.

Valve noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery has been solved, and it could have been very very bad.

Whatever idiot that removed the cams last (I am withholding names to prevent further shame and embarrassment to myself ) didn't get the bolts on the intake cam sprocket tightened. They backed out and were skipping off the case.
    I was very lucky that the bolts are long enough that they weren't able to actually come out all the way or get snapped off.

The biggest lesson I think Ive learned through all this is to work with the garage door closed so people don't distract me. Seems I lose all focus the second my mouth opens.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

A very large bullet dodged there....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Noise

That's the way to keep at it until it's found and fixed, CONGRATS !!!!!
        Some back aches, head aches, sanity and hair loss but what a good feeling !!!
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post

Whatever idiot that removed the cams last (I am withholding names to prevent further shame and embarrassment to myself ) didn't get the bolts on the intake cam sprocket tightened. They backed out and were skipping off the case.
          I was very lucky that the bolts are long enough that they weren't able to actually come out all the way or get snapped off.

The biggest lesson I think Ive learned through all this is to work with the garage door closed so people don't distract me. Seems I lose all focus the second my mouth opens.
          Good to hear you caught your error!..........Distractions doing top-end work could of been disastorious! Hope the caps didn't get 'egged' out.......but, then again, I would not even consider removing cam caps for valve shim adjustment.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Holly chit man, I cant believe how lucky you are that it didnt eat itself up. I think there are some valuable lessons to be had, not just for you but on every ones behalf... Ever heard the saying measure twice, cut once? Not trying to be am @ss but next time someone suggests verifying torque of everything that was touched, its usually worth the extra time. Before I put any covers back on I like to take a 10-20 minute break, drink a beer or shoot a game of pool then come back and do a final torque check on everything. Glad it worked out for ya, now get out and enjoy that thing.

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            OK, two suggestions....

1. Check the rest of the nuts and bolts you installed or didn't during your evening of working on the bike in a drunken stupor.

2. Do not work on your bike in a drunken stupor anymore!!

Seriously though, does sound like you might want to slow it up a little bit on the assembly processes. But yes, if your compression numbers all look good I doubt seriously you have any bent valves.
            Last edited by WMarshy; 04-26-2013, 06:23 PM.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

WOW.
              So glad you found it and it wasn't a disaster.
              Good thing those bolts didn't fully back out because the cam sproket would have turned, but the cam wouldn't and that would have been real bad.

So, the bolt head was hitting the case as the cam spun? Any real bad damage to the case? Pics?

Stuff like this is why I read this site all the time. By reading about some hiccups that others had, it may help me not to repeat the same.

Thanks for sharing.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                WOW.
                So glad you found it and it wasn't a disaster.
                Good thing those bolts didn't fully back out because the cam sproket would have turned, but the cam wouldn't and that would have been real bad.

So, the bolt head was hitting the case as the cam spun? Any real bad damage to the case? Pics?

Stuff like this is why I read this site all the time. By reading about some hiccups that others had, it may help me not to repeat the same.

Thanks for sharing.
                The bolts must have just lightly been kissing the case. Just very small scratching on the case and one side on each bolt looked like it was buffed or lightly ground.

I didnt take any pictures and with all the times I had to take that valve cover off in the last two weeks theres no way Im going to do it again lol. I read on here that a lot skip the valve cover gasket and just use RTV. Im sure it works great until you need to clean and redo it 7 times.
                Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

The bolts must have just lightly been kissing the case. Just very small scratching on the case and one side on each bolt looked like it was buffed or lightly ground.

I didnt take any pictures and with all the times I had to take that valve cover off in the last two weeks theres no way Im going to do it again lol. I read on here that a lot skip the valve cover gasket and just use RTV. Im sure it works great until you need to clean and redo it 7 times.
                  You can typically reuse the valve cover gasket if its not damaged. Ive had my cover off I believe twice and have no issues with leaks. It works nice because its stuck to the cover. Eventually it will need to be replaced, no telling how long/how many times you can reuse it.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Unfortunately the first time I took it off it came off in pieces. When I tear the bike apart this winter it will get all new seals and gaskets.
                    Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Unfortunately the first time I took it off it came off in pieces. When I tear the bike apart this winter it will get all new seals and gaskets.
                      I heard a little bit of PAM cooking spray on the side you dont want it to stick and it will come right off.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                      X