No announcement yet.

1980 Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George, no there isn't an o-ring, there is a thin fiber gasket ring under the screw in seat shoulder. They do go bad sometimes and one could be made from gasket paper. Some newer kits have metal rings instead of the fiber ring. Be aware that the thickness of this fiber gasket will affect the float level and will need to be rechecked when replaced.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

carb thread jacking

The floats are in good shape they were floating nicely in the carb cleaner...lol..also there was no fluid present in the floats after taking off the bowls. I haven't got a chance to get back at the job, because of work. I want to check that gasket overlap for sure.
      80 SG

Comment

Thread Jacking 1980 special Carb Help

OK i know it has been awhile. Been busy with school and been tinkering here and there with these floats. Still pouring out of the overflow vent like crazy.
        So far I:
        1. Measured the 8 floats to the stock specs...3 and 4 pour.
        2. checked bowl gasket for overlap...good
        3. Bent the float tang more so the floats would close sooner..still floods
        4. changed the needle seat to old ones just in case the new ones were defective....still flooded
        5. I blew into the supply hose by mouth and tested the floats and they open and close by mouth air pressure, as if they were working properly.

Just a reminder this is a 80 special with 79 carbs with brass floats and threaded pilot screw cover and threaded float needle seat.

PS: Maybe I bent the float tang the wrong direction...I pushed the tang down closer to the needle valve, with the carbs standing on the diaphragm covers.
        80 SG

Comment

Are you connecting the fuel to the lower of the two T's or the top? Should be connected to the lower T.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

yes it is connected to the lower fittings
            80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by Jay60465 View Post
              OK i know it has been awhile. Been busy with school and been tinkering here and there with these floats. Still pouring out of the overflow vent like crazy.
              So far I:
              1. Measured the 8 floats to the stock specs...3 and 4 pour.
              2. checked bowl gasket for overlap...good
              3. Bent the float tang more so the floats would close sooner..still floods
              4. changed the needle seat to old ones just in case the new ones were defective....still flooded
              5. I blew into the supply hose by mouth and tested the floats and they open and close by mouth air pressure, as if they were working properly.

Just a reminder this is a 80 special with 79 carbs with brass floats and threaded pilot screw cover and threaded float needle seat.

PS: Maybe I bent the float tang the wrong direction...I pushed the tang down closer to the needle valve, with the carbs standing on the diaphragm covers.
              Can't just bend a float tab to whatever and call it good. Getting it running correct just throwing guesses and no actual measuring of floats WILL get you and the bike nowhere. On top of that, you went the wrong direction with the float. Cooperation as to what we suggest here is needed, or we can be of no help. Important that only ONE change at a time be made and test results before moving on. Your gonna have to remove that carb bank, bowls, and start all over by first putting the new seat needles back in BEFORE float settings are measured and then re-adjusted. FWIW, when you remove those float pins, chuck them up in a drill by there ends. Take a file using the narrow flat end of it up against the base of pin where the stop on it is, spin the drill and lightly file that short larger diameter area so the float pins JUST will slide in and out easily. If not, the next disaster that may follow WILL be a broken float pin post, as you will be removing and installing the floats several times till the MEASURED setting IS correct. The MOST important part of that float setting IS that they ALL need to be exactly the same,....to a T.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

When I rebuilt the carbs i set all eight floats to 25.7mm from the gasket base (no gasket). I will modify the pins the next time thanks for the heads up. So, i guess my next question is:

If I decrease the float height, will that close the valve quicker? Because I have a height around 28mm right now, and earlier the 25.7mm had flooding results too.
                Again I am not trying to short cut anything, this is a project. I have time to make attempts at several things
                80 SG

Comment

Changing the float heights to something other than stock as an attempt to stop flooding will not help. Set them back to the 25.7 and figure out why the flooding is happening.

Is the gasket under the float needle seat there?

Is the needle in good condition?

Is the spring on the needle pin part still functioning?

Is there crap holding the needle open?

Are there holes in the floats?

Are the float bowl vents clear and open? If you are using the 80 airbox the nipples for the vent lines are on the box but they are not drilled open so it would be like sealing the vents closed.

Something is causing them not to seal.
                  Last edited by natemoen; 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

flooding fun

yes I have the gaskets installed along with the seats....this a complete brand new rebuild kit. all new brass and gaskets

Needle and seats are new

springs on the needles push in and rebound like new

there is no crap in the new seats and i cleaned the old ones when testing them

The floats floated fine in the carb cleaning solution and pine sol and there is no sound of fluid when i have been taking them out

Now good question WHAT are the float bowl vents is that the brass tube in the bowl...or the vent on the face that pees the gas out?
                    80 SG

Comment

Float bowl vent is the upper T between the carbs.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

float flood

ok gotcha...I have the float vents hooked up to a open hose.....how can i tell if these vents are blocked? If these vents are blocked can that cause the carbs to flood out that little hole.
                        80 SG

Comment

Working...
                        X