1980 Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Carbs

On the 1980 carbs, is there supposed to be a plug in the pilot jet passage? I have been in to the 79 carbs where there is a screw (plug) there and am uncertain about the 80 carbs.

Thanks in advance, MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

The 1980 carbs are a split year. Early ones had the crossover passage and use a rubber plug over the pilot jet, late ones, no passage, no plug.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

80 Carbs

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      The 1980 carbs are a split year. Early ones had the crossover passage and use a rubber plug over the pilot jet, late ones, no passage, no plug.
      Thanks for the info Phil. Just bought a set on Ebay (for spares/parts). Got them for $36.00. Thought they would go for more.

MP
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Thread Jacking 1980 special Carb Help

I recently got a 1980 MFG date of 08/79 Special with the case and frame #'s match. My problem is that my carbs are needing a deep cleaning. So I need help finding the correct parts for these carbs for a correct rebuild. After reading dozens and dozens of threads and posts, I still need some help with replacement parts. I swear looking at these carbs part of them look 78-79, just not sure.
        80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by Jay60465 View Post
          I recently got a 1980 MFG date of 08/79 Special with the case and frame #'s match. My problem is that my carbs are needing a deep cleaning. So I need help finding the correct parts for these carbs for a correct rebuild. After reading dozens and dozens of threads and posts, I still need some help with replacement parts. I swear looking at these carbs part of them look 78-79, just not sure.
          Carb identifier....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...arb+identifier

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...arb+identifier
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

1980 carb parts needed

ok going through the pictures, I guess what I truly want to know is there an actually a true 1980 carb kit. Or does it depend on what bodies you have is what kit you have to get.
            80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by Jay60465 View Post
              ok going through the pictures, I guess what I truly want to know is there an actually a true 1980 carb kit. Or does it depend on what bodies you have is what kit you have to get.
              Okay, so you've got the later (80/81) carb style. (plastic floats and pressed in float needles)
              Like some have said the 80 year went thru a modification mid year and some have the pilot passages pluged and others don't. To give you an idea, my G does, while my SG does not. But that's the only difference between the two.
              So any kit(s) for the 80 G,SG,LG or 81 H,SH,LH will work.
              Most swear that GeorgeFix (on Ebay) is the best guy to go to to get carb parts/kits. I haven't gotten anything from him, so I can't testify.
              You may just want to open them up and see what parts you need before deciding on ordering a bunch of parts/kits that you may not need.
              Carb cleaner and some brasso/polish can work wonders on some of these brass jets. Follow the carb cleaning tech tips and be thoughtful and careful when removing really stuck jets. They WILLl come out with the right persuasion, right tool and some lube/penetrant.
              About the only thing you may need is some new gaskets, but even those can be cut from generic gasket paper/material.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

From the pictures and testimony from everyone, I think I have the early 80 carbs. Screw in float jet, brass floats, and the pilot jets had a screw on the top of them. Along with adjustable idle screws. So does this mean I have to buy a 1979 kit or do I look for a early 1980 kit. I have been looking at various sites and I only see the 79 screw in float kit and 1980 press in float kit. I admit this is my first xs1100 and learning from scratch, the closest thing I ever worked on to this was my 82 Seca 550R. So again I want to thank everyone very much again and again in advance.
                80 SG

Comment

You need the 79 kit if you have brass floats, screw on top of pilot, and the exposed type mixture screws. It sounds like you have the early type 78-79 carbs.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Yup, 78/79 carbs. 80+ will have a press in float valve and plastic floats. So you need a 78 or a 79 carb kit.

Keep in mind that you need to jet your bike according to the year of the carbs and NOT the year of the bike.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just clean the carb parts you have. No kit needed unless something is messed up. You can buy a nitrile oring box at harbor freight and replace the rubber orings if worn but thats it.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I want to do a complete cleaning and some of the pilot jets were jacked up by the PO. I just need help on which carb kit to buy. I am stuck between 1979 and possible early 1980 kit if it exists. I want to minimize any major carb problems before i begin the rehab project.
                        TAKE A LOOK PLEASE

[IMG][/IMG]
                        80 SG

Comment

Jay, those are the 78-79 model carbs. I would say you want the 79 model carb kits for it. 78 had different jetting, I would think the 79 jetting would work best with an 80 motor.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Thank you so much, I just wanted another opinion (a more qualified professional one). Again thank you for the help everyone!!

A XS1100 Newbie
                            80 SG

Comment

If you don't need gaskets or float needles then just buy individual genuine Mikuni jets. That will save you a lot of cash instead of buying kits.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X