No announcement yet.

Help, Gas coming out of Airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your suggestions, My brother in-law was able to get them out using the steel point from a pushpin with a pair of vicegrips. The rebuild is done, hopefully I will get to install them in a couple of days(weather permitting).

Thank you all for you help so far.
    79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Glad they came out easy! Sometimes it doesn't go well.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Carbs are back in and the bike is running again. I had to adjust the Pilot screws in some as it would not hold an idle, kept stalling. Just waiting for Air Filter and I will be doing a Carb Sync while the Tank is just set on.

Thank you all for your help on this.

Steve
        79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Carbs still leaking

Carbs still leaking - gonna take them off this weekend again and actually replace the float needle and seat - also going to check float levels.
          79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
            Carbs still leaking - gonna take them off this weekend again and actually replace the float needle and seat - also going to check float levels.
            Check the little hemispherical filters that sit under the float valve assemblies too.....
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              Check the little hemispherical filters that sit under the float valve assemblies too.....
              The 79 SF did not have those screens in them in the US, those are specific for the 80 model and up carbs...
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Just curious, when are they leaking now? Is it leaking while it sits and idles or just when its not running? Did you check your installed float levels with clear tygon hooked the the bowl drain? Did you check for a bad float?

Sorry, didnt review the previous posts but you still have two issues here, leaking petcocks and float valves not sealing for whatever reason.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Oops, duplicate
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

Comment

I am not sure if my petcocks are leaking, I will set the tank on some saw horses with cardboard underneath to see.

My carbs do have the screens under the valve assembly - I remember seeing them the first time we took them apart for cleaning.

It seems to be something that leaks overnight if I leave sitting.

I don't have a way of modifing the bowl plugs to try the hose check.

I inspected the floats, but will sit each one if them in a bowl of water to check once I get them out tonight or tomorrow.

I also am going to be installing additional fuel filters inline between tank and carbs this time to rule out any crud in the tank getting through.

Any suggestions on easy ways to measure the float height and what the measurement should be?

Thank you,

Steve
                    79 XS1100 SF

Comment

hose check

unicorncomputer,

There's a post in this thread by JeffH showing you how to check the fuel levels in the bowls. Photos are included. You might have to make a $3-$5 investment in materials.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...380#post371380
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                        The 79 SF did not have those screens in them in the US, those are specific for the 80 model and up carbs...
                        Those screens were in my '78 carbs when I first opened them up.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Two sets of 79 carbs both had the screens.
                          One standard, and one off the bike, so don't know what they were on.
                          CZ

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Those screens were in my '78 carbs when I first opened them up.
                            What were you main jet sizes? If they were 115 or 120 then they are the 80-81 style...

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                            Two sets of 79 carbs both had the screens.
                            One standard, and one off the bike, so don't know what they were on.
                            CZ
                            I could swear the screens were only on the '80 and up models...

The 3 banks I've been in were a '79 F, SF and a '78 and neither had the screens.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

Comment

I am not sure if my petcocks are leaking, I will set the tank on some saw horses with cardboard underneath to see.

My carbs do have the screens under the valve assembly - I remember seeing them the first time we took them apart for cleaning.

It seems to be something that leaks overnight if I leave sitting.

I don't have a way of modifing the bowl plugs to try the hose check.

I inspected the floats, but will sit each one if them in a bowl of water to check once I get them out tonight or tomorrow.

I also am going to be installing additional fuel filters inline between tank and carbs this time to rule out any crud in the tank getting through.

Any suggestions on easy ways to measure the float height and what the measurement should be?

Thank you,

Steve
                              Put a piece of white printer paper on the cardboard b/c the gas might evaporate if its a slow leak and you might not see it...if you put a piece of white paper it might stain it.

To check you floats (I assume they are brass) fully submerge them in in water that is about 120 degrees or so (as not to burn yourself) and if there is a hole in it it will blow bubbles as the air expands in them, if it doesn't have gas in it already. If they are plastic then this approach wont work b/c I believe they are solid...

Check the tech tips on setting float height, let us know if you have brass or plastic as the setting is a little different from what Ive read...
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                                What were you main jet sizes? If they were 115 or 120 then they are the 80-81 style...

I could swear the screens were only on the '80 and up models...

The 3 banks I've been in were a '79 F, SF and a '78 and neither had the screens.
                                No they are certainly early model carbs.
                                Nathan
                                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                                K&N Filter
                                OEM Exhaust
                                ATK Fork Brace
                                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X