think i may be screwed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they would work......Greg??
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It will bolt right up Nick.

YICS is something Yamaha did in 82 to the XJ engine. Some engineer decided that the intake ports shold be connected to smoth out the idle and low end acceleration. It worked but it made it a pain to sync the carbs and sorta hurt the top end. Most people have them blocked off.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

if you can let me know what shipping to 49646 will be i'll let you know if i can do it this week or not. thanks again guys.
        80 MNS; 81 Venturer

Comment

Some people have swapped heads around with varying results. Common concensus is that if you swap heads from early engines to later engines or vice versa, keep the cams and timing components that belong with the head with the head. that means changing out the centrifugal and vacuum advance components too. different timing curves for different conditions.

There is som question as to piston to head clearances with putting the early head on the later engins because the later pistons have a hiher dome and the early head has a smaller combustin chamber.

Scott (3phase) is working on that as we speak. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37453
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You'll want to check piston-to-valve clearances if you swap heads. A early-head-on-a-late-motor combo puts the valves closer to the piston....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I wouldn't think the valves would be a problem, Steve, as long as the cam timing is correct the valve will be closed when the piston gets there.

However, the higher piston crown and the smaller combustion chamber could be. That's what Scott will be checking for us.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

let me know about shipping on that head greg. post code is 49646.
                80 MNS; 81 Venturer

Comment

Working...
                X