xs1100 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon

Just kidding about the Harleys ,there are some that are damn fast.I like all bikes.

Comment

The yellow and black block would look rad! For some reason everyone I know plans one of those, and then never actually goes through with it. The CF look would be hard to pull off, IMO, and the XS11 just isn't the right platform for that look anyway.

I'd put money into rear shocks too. The front is everyone's focus on the 11, but the old saggy rear shocks, and most of the cheaper aftermarket ones don't do you any favors on a bike as heavy as the 11. If you really want to make this thing shine, lose weight, and beef up the suspension. That's where your edge will be over HD

I love these 'stripped performance' builds! Kinda remind me of my old 11
      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Carbon

Thought you all might like a up date.Put shocks,new disks,Progrssive front spings,lowered the front forks,coils on the way.just sent the parts off for paint.Going with yamaha racing yellow with black blocks.Kind of a kenny roberts tribut to his 750 dirt tracker.I added a couple of shots from the shop.One of a midnight special that we fixed.And we fix them right.Lets hear what you think?

Last edited by crazy steve; 11-05-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

i think a carbon fiber wrapped tank would be sick, but only if there was other parts that are cf. and i think the tank definitely should be raised or the seat lowered (probably too late for that i suppose...) over all a very sweet looking bike thus far, great job!

oh, and any more info on that front brake job would be greatly appreciated. i love the look and modern functionality of the new discs (and new calipers?)
          1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
          progress thus far...
          http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

paint

Got the paint back.Thought I'd give you all a look.

Comment

It looks great.

I would be interesting to see what it weighs when your are finished compared to a stock bike.

Nice job.

Comment

paint

Thanks and yes,Ill be comparing the two weights and letting everyone know. Seems though no matter what I take off the bike that engine is still there and it's heavy.

Comment

The original bike weights aprox 650 and the engine weights aprox 200.

I know I could get rid of 50 lbs going on a diet, but I think removing stuff from the bike would be more realistic.
                  I have been searching past threads for weight reduction ideas, but have not had much success.
                  Glad to see your are planning on a weight comparison.

The build looks great.

Thanks for posting your progress.

Comment

Don't expect to get a lot of weight off the bike as there really isn't that much weight in the 'extra' stuff. The stock exhaust is fairly heavy (particularly the standard exhaust) so going aftermarket will help there, same with the brake rotors (although aftermarket rotors are big $$$). A few lbs here, a few there but fifty might be pushing it. If you strip to the bare nothing (no fenders, turn sigs, gauges, centerstand) you might make it, but utility/legality starts getting iffy....

Motor weight is around 260 IIRC, add in the shaft drive bits and you're at 300. Not a ton of wiggle room....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the info.
                      Rather than to hihack this thread, I started another about a light build.

Thanks JG

Comment

Carbon

Finally got bike off of build stand.Pics coming soon.

Comment

Glad you went with the yellow with blocks, it looks great. You going to go with black for the seat?
                          Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                          1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                          2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                          2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100carbon View Post
                            Oh yea,the trunk and bags.That will be a back pack and tank bag. - - -
                            Hi Terry,
                            nice bike, some nitpicks:-
                            How effin' tall are you? Folks of a normal height want to lower the seat, not raise it.
                            Truncated front fender means you can't see in the rain because of that fan of water thrown off the front wheel.
                            Lack of a rear fender won't affect rainy rides but the mud ridge up your back will NOT enhance how cool you look.
                            Last but not least, negatory backpack. The last thing you need in a collision is a 20lb counterweight strapped between your shoulderblades.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

nice idea

Very good look there man. I've had the idea of using a GSXR 600 tail section and a Standard tank on a frame i have. Good to see this is possible!
                              At this time:
                              1985 Goldwing Innr.
                              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                              2007 vtx 1300
                              81 sx 1100 s h
                              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Project

Here's the pics.Not done yet but almost!!!. 1 1/2 year build so far.This is a fair weather bike only.Seat height is acually shorter.

Comment

Working...
                                X