80-81 1196 Big Bore piston kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,

New user here as well as "new" 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special owner. I just took my Cylinders into a shop and the guys said I had 2 that were egg shaped and that he could bore them out to 72mm. From what I found, stock bore is 71.5mm. Problem is I can only find the 74mm or 74.5mm pistons. My question is... are there any overheating issues related to these bigger bores that you have noticed. I will most likely go with the cast pistons from Japan as well.

Also, if 71.5mm is stock and the mechanic said he only needs to go to 72mm to resolve the issue, How bad is it really? Should I go ahead and bore them or should the piston rings take care of this issue by themselves.
    80 LG

Comment

I do not know the measurements, but check into the over-sized rings. They make them 1 -2-3-and even 4 IIRC sizes over stock. Should / May work wiht your bore.

On the flip side, I have not done it, but there are several long time members here who have installed the big bore set up. None have ever complained of overheating or anything like it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by keatingww View Post
        Also, if 71.5mm is stock and the mechanic said he only needs to go to 72mm to resolve the issue, How bad is it really? Should I go ahead and bore them or should the piston rings take care of this issue by themselves.

The "egg shaped", (does that mean oval?) of less than .5mm (apx .020in), means that the mechanic figures that .010in off each side will clean them up. A more pertinent question is, how much ovality is there?
        An oval cylinder is not a deal breaker, if it is only a thousandth or so. What will break rings is a tapered bore.
        Ring side clearance is another critical factor.
        The following site will give you a basis on which to make up a list of questions to ask the mechanic. If he stumbles, hesitates, or tells you he doesn't need to know "that" to be able to tell you that you need to pay him a lot of money, you might want to get a second opinion.
        The manual will give you the factory suggested dimensions for most of this, although it might require you to actually read the engine rebuild portion of the manual, since the table of limits, as it is called, is not listed in some manuals, but rather spelled out in the list of step by step instructions..
        If you have questions as to numbers, ask here, and someone will get them for you. Good luck,

http://smallengineinformation.com/?page_id=500

Comment

Originally posted by keatingww View Post
          Hey guys,

New user here as well as "new" 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special owner. I just took my Cylinders into a shop and the guys said I had 2 that were egg shaped and that he could bore them out to 72mm. From what I found, stock bore is 71.5mm. Problem is I can only find the 74mm or 74.5mm pistons. My question is... are there any overheating issues related to these bigger bores that you have noticed. I will most likely go with the cast pistons from Japan as well.

You can buy a cheap big bore piston kit on ebay, the bore will be 74.5mm. The kit is cheap because the pistons are cast, unlike the expensive Wiseco pistons that are forged. Any good engine builder would not bore the cylinder without having the new pistons in hand. Somewhere there should be tolerances for cylinder wear, you should have him verify your cylinders are outside that spec before you spend $600 or more on your bike...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-81-Yamaha...7486d7&vxp=mtr
          Last edited by WMarshy; 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Ok, Have read through all info here..........very helpful. Have had the head in for some valve, seat & guides inspection & new seals. Turns out all good, trust the mech. whom I worked with back in the '80s.
            Had bore checked...........002-.0025 taper & out of round. Yes, had little more piston slap than I liked.
            Have been looking hi & low for some 0.50 pistons with no luck. Did come across the 1196 kit. Just concerned of quality and thin skirts. Mech says he can punch 0.050 x 4 = 200.00 1196/74.5mm = 300.00.
            Guess my question is has any one had any issues with these 150.00 kits?
            Will do a re-read of all searches..........
            Opinions welcome!!
            "Elvira"
            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

I dont think anyone has any run time on this kit yet. I haven't heard anyone that has... of course Im away from the site for a short duration during the winter.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Great thread. I'm guessing that unless you are racing (which I doubt) these pistons will be fine. The next repair you bike will need will most likely be something else anyway. I'd plastigauge the bottom end for sure while it's apart. I'd have to look at the mm specs but in old tractor motors .003 is the max clearance so I'd think you want around .002 in the bottom end max. Plastigauge is cheap. I bought a complete set of external Mics from HF a couple years back along with some used Starretts off ebay with Standards, the HF mics were right on. At least there is something out there for a reasonable cost that keeps these bikes from the recycling yard a little longer.
                Last edited by WSL91; 04-12-2013, 03:59 AM.
                1970? Honda Z50... gone
                1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                1974 Honda CB200... gone
                1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  The kit is cheap because the pistons are cast, unlike the expensive Wiseco pistons that are forged.

Just remember that your original pistons are cast as well, and they seem to hold up just fine. If I had to rebuild another motor, I'd definitely try these out. Looks like you can get your cylinders bored and the piston kit bought for less than just the Wiseco pistons.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    Just remember that your original pistons are cast as well, and they seem to hold up just fine. If I had to rebuild another motor, I'd definitely try these out. Looks like you can get your cylinders bored and the piston kit bought for less than just the Wiseco pistons.
                    Thats why I bought a kit, figured its too good of a deal to pass up.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

Further to these big bore kits, I did a little looking while my head is off and I was cleaning up the gasket surfaces. Here are a couple of shots of the steel liners we have in these aluminum heads.

They measure out at 8mm thickness which is pretty good, much like my old bigbore VW performance stuff. Now if you bore these out to 74.5mm for an 1196cc engine you are in effect removing 1.5mm from the walls, so you STILL have 6.5mm of wall thickness. I think that is pretty good myself.
                      As to cast pistons vs. forged, well there are significant gains to using forged, but I've run both in HP VW engines, and to be honest, with a redline of 7500rpm the cast were always good enough. I even ran cast pistons once in a Ford 390 Y block engine with a 428 SCJ cam and huge Holley toilet bowl (can't remember the size now) double pumper, and abused the **** out of it. Never gave me any trouble.
                      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Question. Did you just measure the top lip or did you measure the cylinder wall down lower? I just measured it at the lower end of the cylinder and got 3.5 MM.
                        I had a set that were bored to 1204 cc's and they were heat checked beyond help and were very thin. I do not have them now so I can not measure them. Just asking.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          Question. Did you just measure the top lip or did you measure the cylinder wall down lower? I just measured it at the lower end of the cylinder and got 3.5 MM.
                          I had a set that were bored to 1204 cc's and they were heat checked beyond help and were very thin. I do not have them now so I can not measure them. Just asking.
                          Just across the top Ras, are these lipped then, and what you see on top is NOT what the thickness is?
                          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Compression Ratio Calculation

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            Hey Steve,

The Wiseco web site does NOT have photos YET of their products for the xs11. It's been 12 + years since I put my 1179 kit in, but I don't recall them being FLAT TOPPED, they did have the indents for the valves. IIRC from both previous discussions....they rate their obtained comp ratio per their use in the earlier model engines where the comb. chamber is shallower, and so the 10.25:1 ratio is obtainable. But with the later 80-81-82 engines, the comb. chamber is deeper due to the larger valves and reduced OEM comp. ratio for the emissions changes..9.0:1 vs. the 9.2:1.

Stock comp. is listed as 142 +/- 10 at sea level, and I'm at sea level, and after my breakin, I obtained values of 180+ psi, I don't know how to convert that value with our known bore/stroke to determine the comp. ratio that I got with the 1179 kit in my 81SH. I use Premium fuel, but because I didn't want to take any chances of burning holes in my pistons by "trying" to use regular and listen for KNOCK...but I might be able to run regular...just never tried it! YMMV, but I don't think he would need to worry about having to use racing fuel!

I haven't looked at the ebay ad yet, but I can't see them limiting themselves to marketing to just the 80+ year models vs. the 78-79, if they have the valve indents large enough for the 80-81 models, then there should be plenty of room for the smaller 78-79 valves.

T.C.
                            There are many "free" compression ratio calculators on line. But to get an accurate number, you do need a good bit of information - Bore, Stroke, Combustion Chamber size, Piston Dome CC, Head Gasket thickness and gasket bore, etc. If you can get these numbers, the calculations are dead on. Some times the piston manufacturer has to be contacted.
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                              Just across the top Ras, are these lipped then, and what you see on top is NOT what the thickness is?
                              Hi! Check this topic :

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35223

XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                              MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                              Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                              Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                              Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                              Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
                                Bloody hell Mathh, I am just going to shut my mouth from now on; a lip. Would have NEVER dreamt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X