80-81 1196 Big Bore piston kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
    You crazy kids have a serious need for speed, talking about big bore kits and lopey cams and port/polishing and such. I thought this bike was beastly enough as is, especially with the tractor gearing.

Then there's the turbo bike that got posted, for God's sake.

You guys are nuts! Thanks for the good read, it's facisnating to see what you can do with these little engines!
    You know what they say... If it aint broken, modify it!

So I called up an old Yamaha dealer near my home town to see what NOS parts they might have on the shelf and found they have an entire crank bearing set! All of the brown color bearing were gone from the kit but all of the others were present. The guy I spoke to was like "we haven't rebuilt one of these in about 20 years!". I asked real quick what they can do on price and said the bearings still sell from Yamaha for about $18 a half! but he said they could take 10% off. I asked if they could do better and he said likely but his manager was busy with customers at the moment and I told him not to worry about it until I know what I needed and was ready to buy... From what i can see, bearing halves are selling for about $13 on ebay. There are a few auctions of guys selling an entire set but I dont know yet if there is a savings over buying then individually (from ebay). I might be able to convince the dealer to cut me a really good deal...

Any of you guys ever replace con rod and crank bearings while installing your big bore kit?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
      You know what they say... If it aint broken, modify it!

Any of you guys ever replace con rod and crank bearings while installing your big bore kit?
      hey marshy, if ur going to buy new bearings go for the
      blue coloured ones they're the thickest u can get
      and will suit better on a used crank.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
        The con rods are unobtainium but I've never really seen any worn too bad, you can still get main bearings. Those are the ones that usually go bad in these engines.

The over bore kits I've seen running really don't make that big a difference. The oversize pistons weren't intended to increase performance anyway. They were to repair engines with worn cylinder walls.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
          hey marshy, if ur going to buy new bearings go for the
          blue coloured ones they're the thickest u can get
          and will suit better on a used crank.
          From the way he explained it, the crank has a number on it and each con rod has a number on it. There is some math involved and the resultant number you get will tell you which color bearing you have to use to achieve factory spec clearances... I will have to wait to get it apart to determine what shape the crank is in and if it needs a clean up (doubtful but need to check). Too tight of a clearance will starve your journal of oil so, tighter clearances are not always better. I will have to wait for disassembly..

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          The con rods are unobtainium but I've never really seen any worn too bad, you can still get main bearings. Those are the ones that usually go bad in these engines.

The over bore kits I've seen running really don't make that big a difference. The oversize pistons weren't intended to increase performance anyway. They were to repair engines with worn cylinder walls.
          Same idea, they will be check upon disassembly. Hopefully I wont need any but if I can get my hands on them for reasonable price I would like to replace them. It looks like the crank bearing were used in the early FJ motors so they can still be found.

Regardless, increasing the bore will result in increased power. As mentioned prior, significant gains wont be made without changes to valve/cam timing. Cams will have to wait but I plan to slot the cam sprockets... My plan it to use the later model head these pistons are made for b/c I want to take advantage of the bigger valves, but use the '78 cam (s) like Mr. Hodges did. Its going to be a long project so I'm going to talk to my Dad and see if he is willing give me his old E that needs an overhaul. I cant give up the bike I ride daily.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

mate u dont need to go to all that trouble,
            those figures are for a brand new crank,
            the thickness between the bearings isnt much,
            this was all covered well on the uk site, maybe
            1 of them mite chime in.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I've ridden and do ride with people that have both the 1179 and the 1196 and the difference is really insignificant.

If you want to spend the money though poke around in HERE you'll find what you want.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I found THESE on fleabay too Wade.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  I found THESE on fleabay too Wade.
                  Greg go back a page, I purchased the cheap 1196 kit this thread was started about... $178 delivered to my door...

I'm inquiring about the bearings b/c the motor has 48k miles and ai would like to make sure the bottom end is fresh.
                  Last edited by WMarshy; 06-02-2012, 07:01 AM.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

Comment

Went back and missed it again, but good.

You can come across some con rod bearings once in a while on fleabay if you watch. Generally though they are OK.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Marshy,

When I did my rebuild, I did just the top end because the bottom had been working fine when I had parked it 10 years earlier. My odometer had crapped out ~900 miles after I got the bike with 17 on it, just used the tripometer for gas monitoring and trips. I calculated that I had at least 50K miles on it before the rebuild. That was in 2000, I've put some 15-20k miles on it since then with no signs of con/crank bearing problems....no knocking or such. As stated, there is a bit more power due to the increased cc displacement, but not earth shattering, and the reports of these engines going 100K + miles I figure it'll be good for a while, especially the way I ride it only putting on a few k miles a year!

But it's your $$, time, labor, and eventually peace of mind!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I received my piston kit today and everything looks like good quality. Shipping was FAST! Came all the way from Japan and didnt take but a week, seemed pretty reasonable. I also found a seller on ebay that is selling crank bearings and con rod bearing sets for $50 each.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

Comment

So, how well does the dome fit in the SF head? Will they work without pushing the compression to high? May be getting a set as well for my SF since my cylinder got messed up.
                          1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                          1981 XJ650 Midnight - Black Betty
                          Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

BB Kit

Don't waste your money or time installing anything other than a forged piston(s). And as everyone has stated, Wiseco is best. Cast pistons are "NON-PERFORMANCE" pistons.

You have to be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that the piston you are putting in your engine has the correct dome cc, compression height, pin location, etc. The Wiseco kits are engineered to these exacting tolerances.

You get what you pay for.

My Two Cents, MP
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                              Don't waste your money or time installing anything other than a forged piston(s). And as everyone has stated, Wiseco is best. Cast pistons are "NON-PERFORMANCE" pistons.

You have to be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that the piston you are putting in your engine has the correct dome cc, compression height, pin location, etc. The Wiseco kits are engineered to these exacting tolerances.

You get what you pay for.

My Two Cents, MP
                              At some point ya have to ask yourself if what your paying for is worth what your getting..? For some it may be but for others its not. Although I believe the Wiesco pistons are high quality, I personally cannot justify spending $700 for pistons on a 33 yr old bike that I paid twice that amount for. Just keep in mind, the stock pistons are cast ...

You are correct, cast pistons are not performance parts nor do they claim to be. The set for $150 on ebay were engineered to resemble the 80-81 engines with the higher dome pistons. If used in the 78-79 engine, should be good for a few more points of compression. There is a member right now working on installing a set on his rig and he is going to cc his heads and clay the pistons to make sure no interference issues exist.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

Comment

The Wiseco piston domes don't match either the early or the late model domes. More of just a happy medium between the two, so I wouldn't call it "Exacting". And as stated, most of us have gotten some pretty decent performance from the stock CAST pistons. I wouldn't really call an engine that redlines at 7500 "Performance" though. If it was a modern sport bike and was expecting them to turn 15-18k rpm.. then maybe. There will always be some nay-sayers with anything new tried.
                                Last edited by trbig; 08-28-2012, 05:57 AM.
                                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100
                                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working...
                                X