former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Should i add the washer or buy new springs? The bike just turned over 13000 so maybe just the washer would work and i would not have to wait for parts. That would be nice.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I would just buy the springs, the washer or the extra steel is just a temp fix.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
          Should i add the washer or buy new springs? The bike just turned over 13000 so maybe just the washer would work and i would not have to wait for parts. That would be nice.
          Ive never needed to replace the springs once ive added
          the washers, all with over a 100 000 k's on the engine the washers used are from a spark plug, u don't
          need to add them under all the springs u just have to add
          them equally and opposite each other, that is do either
          2, 4 or 6, the last time i did this i used 4 washers which
          worked well ive also used washers under all the springs
          this will give u a stiffer feel at the lever tho.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            I would just buy the springs, the washer or the extra steel is just a temp fix.
            +1!!!!!!!

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
            Put the $18 springs in and it won't be cobbled, it'll be done right.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It may work, and I do not doubt you Pete, but it my mind the washers and extra steel thing is a bandaid for weak springs.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So, this is what i think i will do since i wont lose much if any oil. I will put the washers in and order the springs and when the get here then i will put them in. I dont want any down time. Actually i could ride the bike with no issues now as long as i am not wanting to act like a rocket. But it like being a rocket sometimes. The acceleration in these bikes do impress me and i bet i am actually missing a little power in all gears because of this clutch issue, i just cant tell it cause its not bad.
                Jeff

Comment

That's fine but it seems a little silly to take it apart twice. The springs usually don't take more than 2 or 3 days to get to you.

But, your bike,your time.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well it will probably be a week before i order them and then if the washers and cleaning work, then i wont put them in till later someday.
                    Jeff

Comment

You may want to get some gasket material to make a new gasket or a new gasket as most times when they have been on a while they tend to tear comming loose. You can lube the new one to help prevent it from sticking. A new one may save some time during the process and you'll have everything.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Gasket? Who needs a gasket? Get some Yamabond or some ThreeBond 1194 (what I use) and clean off the old gasket and just use that.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I got back from a ride a little bit ago, while i was riding i was at a stoplight and was seeing how far i had to let my clutch out before it started pulling and it didnt start pulling until almost all the way out. Could it just be out of adjustment? I know it is out for sure but would that make it slip? I probably wont adjust it until the weekend cause i go back to work tomorrow.
                          Jeff

Comment

Yep, that's out of adjustment....
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Jeff,

The Engine side clutch adjustment does NOT require taking the crankcase cover off, just the small inner cover that's held on by 2 phillips screws. Then you use a Phillips driver along with IIRC a 12mm box end wrench. First, use a pair of pliers to loosen the handle lever and provide a little slack in the cable, then perform the engine adjustment. Unlock the center lock nut, then use the screwdriver, turn it OUT a full turn or so...then while holding the lock nut with the box wrench so it won't yet turn, screw the philips back in until it just makes contact with the inner throwout pin....you'll feel the extra resistance then back it off a 1/4 turn, and then LOCK it in place with the box wrench. Then test readjust the slack at the handlebar, and then test the feel and see how it behaves or if it still slips! Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to do this with just a few tools.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, If i get off work on time today, i am going to do this. I was planning on riding to work today but not sure yet. If i have time before i leave, that would be a good time to do it so I could "test" it on the way to work.
                                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X