Clutch slipping in 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping in 3rd

I have noticed my clutch slipping under full power. I havent had it slip in any other gear. Do i need to get new springs. It doesnt really matter a lot because i know it will do it so i got plenty of power in other gears and it does good except at full power. Are the springs an easy job? I am sure i could do it, just wondering how long it will take. Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

I had the same problem, slipping in 3rd and 4th gear at high RPM. Especially getting on it up interstate onramps. I adjusted the clutch first (which you should try), but that didn't solve my problem. I actually just put Barnett clutch springs in today, with new bolts, and it's amazing. Full power at all RPMs. Solved all the slip, and seems like it makes the bike put more power to the ground. It grabs HARD.

So, adjust first, then I'd try springs. It was an easy, easy job. The biggest pain is removing and replacing all the bolts on the clutch cover. Make sure you have a small range torque wrench for the star plate bolts, and I'd buy new bolts because mine were stretched a little, and it seems to be common. Bolts cost me $8ish shopped, Barnett springs $24 shipped, Toque wrench from Harbor Freight, $20. You could probably do it in an hour. I did it on the sidestand without draining oil, all behind my apartment.. No issues at all, and it was my first time touching the clutch on this bike.
    Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM.
    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Good advice on the bolts! Here is some more useful info on your problem... title sound familiar?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=clutch

Failed bolts...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=fatigue
      Last edited by WMarshy; 05-20-2012, 12:22 AM.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Well, i havent adjusted the clutch yet, need to do that. Where is it supposed to start letting out? I can barely pull in on my clutch and it will start to activate. Yesterday I was riding in 5th and put just a little pressure on the clutch and made it slip. Are you suppose to be able to pull it in farther before it activates. This is my second bike but my first one i only rode about 5 times and then found this monster so the xs750 stays in the garage, cause the 1100 is so much more fun.
        Jeff

Comment

Well ideally the clutch should start to engage just as the handle is getting let out, just like in a car/truck would be close to the floor (or bar in your case). If yours is at the 'top' then you need to adjust it. You need to follow the manual on correct adjustment method (I cant recite it off the top of my head like some here)... The correct method might be in the repair thread under clutch repair...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Thanks marshy.
            Jeff

Comment

Before tearing into springs and all the other things a clutch should have if you're in there, I'd check the adjustment at the arm on the clutch. I suspect it's too tight...
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I will definately try the adjustment first. Going on a ride with xsivebiker and hiss brother in law Steve today, they are cool guys and Greg has been to a few rallies. I am hoping to get his old 80 xs1100g.
                Jeff

Comment

clutch

make sure you have a little play at the clutch handle, .25 in. or little less. if you dont have any that is probally your problem unless it has been sittin for awhile.
                  79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

At the risk of repeating myself and scratching open an old sore spot, what oil are you running in the engine?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

the oil is Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil 10w-40, I actually just changed it. It says superior wet clutch protection. The bike sat a long time, the last inspection sticker was 97 until i got one last week. I have put about 500 miles on it since i got it and it has exactly 13003 miles on it. How many miles do the clutches usually last. The guy who owned it since 1988 was an older guy who never rode hard, he was the 2nd owner, i am the 3rd.
                      Jeff

Comment

I highly doubt the clutch is worn out. I don't remember ever seeing one that was.

Order a set of THESE and install them. It's a fairly simple job.

I'll almost guarantee that'll take care of the problem.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks greg, thats what i was thinking.
                          Jeff

Comment

I would recommend using the heavier 20w50 that is recommended though. JAT
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Could the oil cause it? I just got back from a ride with xsivebiker and his brother in law steve and it slipped in 4th under a lot of power to pass. I dont think it did this before i changed the oil. It slipped a little when i first started riding it but quit and it had sat for years. I think the oil is causing it, or maybe the clutch is coming unadjusted. I runs good and has good power until you really hammer it.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X