kinda stuck valve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinda stuck valve...

so i was adjusting the shims on the valves to get them all within spec, and the #4 exhaust valve is stuck. it will rotate if i take a screwdriver and bump it with my hand, (i assume i couldn't make it any worse, but i was still pretty careful...) but it will not go up or down. there was no clearance on the valve when the cams were on, and it will go down and come back up (using the cams to push it down),but it will not come out or rotate as easily as the other valve buckets. anyone have an idea as to whats causing this? and will it be a serious problem when riding?
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

There is something in there causing it to bind. That somethign is going to wear a groove of some sort into the bucket and eventually that bucket will bind up and no longer move for the cam eigther. In which case it will probably get mashed down and stuck open, getting hit by a piston, causing untold horror.

Obviously, I would suggest getting it out of there some how. As to how, try a very strong magnet. Or a suction device of some type. Otherwise you may need to drill a hole in the bucket and put a screw or toggle down into it to pull it out.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

i assume i have to get the bucket from the same year engine?
      1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
      progress thus far...

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

Before you go destroying it, try spraying some brake cleaner or carb cleaner in around it and work it a little. It's probably just gummed up.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

sticky wicket

If u just finished the rebuild, I assume that u ground the valves. Over time the exhaust valves build up carbon, therefore when u reshim it as part of a tune-up u are adding thicker and thicker shims. The reverse happens with the intake, as they tend to pound into the head. So, if u installed the same shims after the rebuild, the gaps would be small to none....The cam followers can be finicky at times. they were designed to a very close tolerance and they go into the head quite a ways, as u know. I have had to use two magnets to get one out before and be sure that u are pulling them straight out. I assume that u want to take them out just for inspection. A couple shots of carb spray between the cam follower and the head should wash out the 30wt. then follow with something like PB Blaster to penetrate and give it a light oil. Keep working it around and it may come loose.....It wouldn't hurt to put the cams back on and take it to a fully open position to inspect the bore.............but it is probably nothing to really worry about...just reshim and oil it up, and go!! Take a compression reading as soon as u can just to make sure that things are working properly..
          "Pop.pa Pipes"
          Tends to overthink even the smallest little glitches

1978 XS1100
          '79 Special Tank
          210 air pilots, 137.5 Mains
          4 into 2 Jardines
          1st over, standard bore
          1978 Intake cam
          Later style exhaust cam

Comment

well, one reason i think its bad is the bucket looks like its lower than all of the other ones. i assume thats bad. and can i use the buckets from my 81 special on my 79?
            progress thus far...

Comment

Will the shim bucket rotate? If so, you likely have a bent valve stem.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

is there something in the forums that cover repairing that? or am i SOL?
                progress thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Will the shim bucket rotate? If so, you likely have a bent valve stem.
                  It's SUPPOSED to rotate.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

the bucket will only rotate if i take a screwdriver and tap it with the heel of my palm. its definitely a little bit lower than any other valve bucket...
                    progress thus far...

Comment

I'm thinking you might have a broken valve spring in there binding things up. You'll most definitly need to get that bucket out of there.

Will it turn easier one way than the other? If it is a broken spring it probably will.

I think drilling a hole in that hardened steel may prove to be next to impossible.

You should be able to pull the plug out and feel around in there with something and see if the valve is open, if it is you just may be able to get something in there and push up on the valve and raise the bucket up enough so you can get ahold of it with something.

You follow me?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

@BA80, its prettymuch the same both ways, it just depends on the angle of the screwdriver... and i follow you, i'll try to get it out that way, no sense in drilling the bucket if that may not be the bad part
                        progress thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          It's SUPPOSED to rotate.
                          Agreed. They are supposed to rotate. Rotating is not at all a sign of a bent valve.

I have found that the buckets need to be introduced into the bore absolutely straight. On scrap engines I've messed about with, I found that even the slightest piece of dirt, flake of rust etc in the bore can be enough to either stop the cam bucket going into the bore, or make it sticky in operation. They can also be very sticky when they are a very exact fit and covered in oil (like a partial vacuum effect that stops the shims coming out sometimes).

I've found that it's best to remove the shim and then rotate the bucket by using the shim removal slot and, at the same time, use a pair of long-nosed pliers pulled open, to grip the bucket and pull it up.You have to get all the oil off the top of the bucket to do this though.......

There is, IMO, very little chance of drilling through the bucket. They are incredibly hard

You definitely need to accompany any pulling of the bucket with a rotation of it at the same time. Rotate it only a little but clockwise and anticlockwise... that often works for me
                          Last edited by James England; 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM.
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

+1 on what James and others wrote the bucket must rotate and what James said about removal. One other thing that can cause a problem is the buckets can easily get bent when they are out of the bike to where they are egg shaped and rub the sides. Some times you can by hand force it back into shape but whatever the case it must rotate freely. The swipe of the cam rotates the bucket which slowly rotates the vales in normal operation. If the bucket does not spin there is more chance of a valve burning.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Kinda Stuck....

I do not know if this will work for you or not but.... with a slight downward pressure with your finger to keep things from getting cocked, try a shot of compressed air at the edge to pop it out.
                              Now, before railing on me about the hairbrained idea, keep in mind that I often think outside the box. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X