No announcement yet.

Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't it be sweet, if there was a simple F.I. solution that would replace our aging carb technology? A system that would easily install and just work.

The primary reason there is not, is the cost. The F.I. options I have found cost more than any of us paid for our bikes.

I have a F.I. project that I have been working on for a couple of years, on and off. As long as my carbs worked, I did not spend much time on it. Recently, by carbs have started to act up (after 105K miles) and it has me looking at my F.I. project again.

Unfortunately it won't be cheap. There is over $300 just in 4 injectors and a fuel pump. Not to mention ECU, TPS, regulator, sensors, and throttle bodies. All custom stuff (which means $$). Who is going to pay $1200-$1500 (or more) on F.I. for their XS/XJ?

How "turn key" will it be? For a lot of XS'ers, F.I. is more complicated and possible less reliable the carbs. At least when the carbs start to act up, the bike is still able to make it home. There are components of an electronic F.I. system that could leave the bike dead. And forget about going to your local bike shop for part and/or help.

On the positive side, the benefits are significant. More low-end torque, improved fuel economy, better throttle response, and simpler to adjust (if you have a laptop and aren't afraid to use it).

The current effort to F.I. an XS is great. I applaud your efforts. You’re doing it. Doing is always better than talking (or writing). The thought of me not having a F.I. XS when somebody else does, may be enough motivation to give it a shot.

So, do I F.I. my XS? I would like to. Or, do I buy a new bike and spend the time riding. Anybody see the dilemma here? There is obviously no money in it, but it sure would be cool! Stay tuned (I know, I know, heard that before!)
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

• Is there an MC you like better than an XS/Xj?

I know ... big V-twins. Do you like the riding position? Or maybe a sporst tour. You know, somethng like the BMW and FZR. I think the sports bike is too "young".

I went through all this ... decided to try EFI the '82 XJ. I think I can do it for around $600, but will know in about a month.

From my previous post, you can see what I spent so far. If this works, I'll publish a web site with the details. This way the next person will have a "road map." Stay tune for details.
      '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
      Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
      '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
      Stan Hutchison

Comment

• I like the FZR style of riding. My "F" is set setup to suite me fine. I can ride it all day longe for weeks.

I am impressed at your progress. Keep up the good work.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

• Got the FI bike out today for the first ride of the day!

Took her out today for a ride - ran exactly the same as it did last march when I parked it - same gas in the tank too ;-)

Did a small power wheelie in first gear, gonna work on the fuel map a little bit to see if I can turn that into a bigger wheelie :-)

Anyway, to all you contemplating it - go for it. Total cost for all the parts to do the conversion I estimate now at around $500.

Dan

"XS1100 fuel injection: $500"
          "Changing your jetting with a Palm Pilot: Priceless"
          Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• I love the FZR too; I also like my XJ...that's why I'm adding EFI.

So Dan, How do I install the software? slh
            Stan Hutchison

Comment

• I may be delusional, but w/ what I've spent so far and the falling prices of WB O2 sensors, I think I can do it for around $400
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• What's a good source for a WB O2 sensor? I thought they were around $200 w/the controller.
                Stan Hutchison

Comment

• I think you can get them for about $20 - $30 each from Advance Auto Parts.

Steve
                  80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                  73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                  62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                  Norton Electra - future restore
                  CZ 400 MX'er
                  68 Ducati Scrambler
                  RC Planes and Helis

Comment

• Got a part # for $20-$30 Wide Band O2 sensors? I think you might be thinking of Narrow Band ones - but still, that's pretty cheap for even NB
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• Can't find that one now, but look HERE

Steve
                      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                      Norton Electra - future restore
                      CZ 400 MX'er
                      68 Ducati Scrambler
                      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

• Do an ebay search. I found some 5 wire WBs for around 60
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• I have only one repsonse to that....

WEWT!

Comment

• Diver Ray, I believe the injectors are 16 lbs/hr based on some googling.

Dan

Originally posted by mainlylinux

Hi DiverRay - I never did find out what the exact rating of the injectors was. I'm using the stock ones out of a Gixxer 600 (2002 I believe).

I do the bank fire - just like you said.

Throttle response is as good if not better than it ever was with carbs. Tuning is infinately better, no pulling carbs off to mess with stuff

Dan
                            Home of ENIAC

Comment

• You very well may be able to do it for $400. Alot of it depends on what the injection related parts cost you. My fuel pump and regulator was $135. If I had to do it over I'd get one off of ebay. I also might have overestimated the cost a little - I don't want someone to think that I'm being unrealistic at the costs.

Dan

PS - I'm running a new version of the Megasquirt Code, the same one as shutchis. Still working thru the fuel map, probably because my ignition is weak. Unburned fuel from any misses causes false O2 readings, which makes tuning hard :-) I need to get a wideband O2 sensor.

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                              I may be delusional, but w/ what I've spent so far and the falling prices of WB O2 sensors, I think I can do it for around $400
                              Home of ENIAC

Comment

• I've been doing some research today and it seems that in order to use a WB O2 sensor, you must have a WB controller. The DIY-WB controller mentioned a couple posts ago is one solution, but you have to get the WB sensors calibrated.

I think I am going to use my existing MS (v 2.2 board) on my Mustang and then order another kit later this summer for my XS. My Mustang runs like crap below 2k right now and the PO pretty much annihilated the EGR system which would make it run ok under 2k :/ With MS, I can keep the EGR off and have good driveability

Comment

Working...
                                X