Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Folks,

Hi. I've got a 1978 Yamaha XS1100 with a set of 2002 GSXR Throttle Bodies and injectors, and it's now running. I'm using the Megasquirt Fuel injection controller, that I built for about $150 bucks.

The megasquirt people are _GREAT_, very knowledgeable, and they are constantly doing new projects. Distributor less ignition is definitely do-able on an XS.

Check out http://bilbo.gotdns.org/gallery for pictures (the bike is still stripped down at this point), and http://bilbo.gotdns.org/video for some movies of the bike running. The site is run off a cable modem that has a bandwidth cap, so downloading may be slow. Be patient to hear the beast!!

Cheers,

Dan

PS - I'd love to hear from you if you are interested in building a megasquirt!
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Yeah! Sounding good. Did you document everything? I would love to do the same thing.
    Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
    2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
    Cullen Hightower

Comment

Classy.

Comment

I was thinking of using the computer and throttle body off a 4 cyl geo metro. It has a learning computer, so if I were to put a O2 sensor in the exhaust, it would "learn the curves" for the yamaha engine. I have a 750, so I think that the single injector will be able to do the job. There is only one thing that i'm not sure how I could rig up, and that's the fuel pump. I'd probably end up putting a standard car pump in a small secondary tank where the airbox was, and that would be fed by the main tank via a needle valve similar to what the carbs have already.

What are you using to get fuel pressure?

-Justin

Comment

Very nice. What do you expect for results? More HP, or is this a no more carbs - less maintenance kinda thing (which is NOT a bad thing.)

Did the throttle bodies just bolt on, or was there some mods needed to fit?

Are you planning on changing anything else, coils / timing, cam overlap / duration, big bore, exhaust, to get more out of it? Just wondering.
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I did it mostly for maintence, and tuning. I'll never have to pull carbs off again to make adjustments. I can record the engine while I'm driving, and make adjustments based on that. I can have revlimiters, power shifting, add a turbo or whatever and the fuel injection makes it easy.

I do hope to get better gas mileage, it was never that great, my buddy has a harley and his bike blows mine away on gas.

I also did it just to be different - there are a lot of guys in my town with bikes, but none that I know of putting home built fuel injection on their bikes.

I do expect more power, but that's not my primary goal.

I'd like to upgrade the brakes, shocks, and forks too. Maybe get some parts powder coated or chromed. You know, the usual biker stuff.

The throttle bodies are a tight fit with the stock boots, but with a little oiling they slide in. The throttle cable is the hardest part - the gixxer throttle bodies have a connector that is very different than the yamaha one. Gixxer throttle cables are to short to use as is, so I've cut one in half and I'm going to lengthen it.

The fuel injection computer itself is easy to build, and cheap. There is a manual that can be printed out that explains everything. You need basic hand tools, a soldering iron, some solder, a volt ohm meter, and some patience.

The tedious part is building the wiring harness, and that's not all bad. There are only 30 something wires, and not all of them are mandatory. In the pictures it looks complicated, but it's not. If you can install a car stereo system you could do this. I'm no engineer myself!

You learn alot of things, I can solder now, I'm better at troubleshooting electronics, I love the fact that the computer can be programmed to do so much that I might learn some programming!

The system is totally non-profit. The guys who designed it don't make money off you - they do if for fun. You are buying most of the parts directly from a company that sells electronic components. There's a big mailing list, and some people are car guys, some are bike guys, some are airplane guys. Heck we are getting guys with snowmobiles, boats, 2 stroke dirt bikes! Won't be long before brigs and stratton is injected...This little computer works on anything.

You program the fuel injection from a normal laptop, even a cheap ~$100 one. The one I use was $60 - it's not even a pentium. All the software is free, it's supported by the community of people using it. If you have a problem, they (we, I guess I'm one now) will talk you thru it.

Best thing of all, the GSXR throttle bodies are going cheap on ebay. I paid $60 for mine, that was the buy it now price.

have fun,

Dan
            Home of ENIAC

Comment

injection is nice

that is a vary cool swap keep us posted
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Dan, you are the man

Snow - aka the other Dan's little brother
                1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Sod that, I like your dad's Plymouth..... mmmm
                  http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/shack/dscf0004.jpg
                  As soon after bought in April 03, those crap bars gone now, and a load of road dirt added... >;^)

Comment

Fuel pump

Nobody has to go to the trouble of installing the fuel pump in a secondary tank, get an external in-line pump. They connect just the same way as a fuel pump for a car with a carb but put out around 65PSI or so. My '85 Mitsubishi Starion has one mounted right near the top of the tank in the trunk. I would get one of those for a bike, not cheap though.
                    72 TS185
                    77 XS750
                    78 SR500
                    80 XS850
                    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
                    81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Nice job, Dan! Are those throttle bodies from the 1000 cc GSXR?
                      Dennis

Comment

Yeah the fuel pump I'm planning on using with be for a ford truck/ econoline van. They cost about $70-80 bucks here in michigan.

The throttle bodies are off of a 2002 GSXR 600 - I chose those because they were a close match in horsepower to a stock XS1100. I figured the injectors would be about the right size.

Dan
                        Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey snow, glad to hear you're doing better after that accident. Thanks for the support - you can have my carbs now :-)

You could easily do this your self. No more pulling carbs to make jetting changes. Just hook bike to computer and tweak away :-)

Dan
                          Home of ENIAC

Comment

I'm very interested in the getting FI on my XS, I am very...very sick of carbs. Prolly early 2004 I'll give it a try. But yeah, I wouldn't mind borrowing those MS carbs while I save up for the FI parts.

Does the megasquirt software run under linux or is it just windoze only? I've got Gentoo on my desktop and I'm planning on putting it on the laptop I'm hoping to pick up next year.

Appreciate the concern over my..err..misdeed - but at least I got to experience the joys of morphine and live to tell the tale
                            Last edited by Snow; 11-23-2003, 04:51 PM.
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

the megasasquirt tuning software has versions for windows, palm, and linux. I'm currently running the windows version, cause my laptop has a touch screen, and I don't wanna mess with that under linux right now. but a laptop with linux should work fine - possibly even running the windows version under WINE would work.

Dan
                              Home of ENIAC

Comment

Working...
                              X