Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is the battery in the original fuel injected XS11 :/
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• Originally posted by 81xsproject
      Not dead here. I am a GS throttle cable, an O2 sensor, the temp sensor, and the MS kit from having everything I need. Right now I have the GSXR TB's, fuel pump, and throttle control/kill switch. I think, until I can afford different, I will be using a narrow band O2 sensor. I also plan on doing a major tank mod to mount the GSXR internal fuel pump since the thing is huge. I am thinking about combining two XS special tanks, one on top of the other, for the pump clearance and increased fuel capacity. I never did get to see the pics and vids from the original post as they never worked since I started reading this thread.
      If you want to keep your xs tank but need a good fuel injection pump then get a '99 or 2000 model hayabusa fuel pump. They are mounted externally so you don't need to cut & shut your tank. They also have the fuel pressure regulator built-in, set to 43psi. They are also plentiful and cheap, since they are often taken off the bike for bigger pumps while turbocharging etc.

If your fuel tank is one with 2 taps like my XJ you could use one as a fuel feed (suitably upgraded) and the other as fuel return.

Comment

• 81xsproject

Just curious as to how much $$ you think you will have in the fuel injection system once it is complete? how is the project coming along?

Has everyone kinda put this on the backburner until Roccet933 gets an intake figured out?

Thanks
        Theron
        Yamaniac
        '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
        '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
        '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
        '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
        '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

• 20 for the pump, 50 for the TBs, 10 for the throttle grip. The expensive part will be the MS unit and an O2 sensor. Id like to go wide band, but money is an issue.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• Update

I didn't ride my bike last year because of lack of funds. But the megasquirt is still on her, and still working. The other day I went out and started it - it needed to be jumped because the battery was dead but she started and ran; it was about 5 degrees F outside. Gotta love fuel injection!

Put about 500 miles on her so far with the injection, and I haven't even tried tuning her (got lazy and wanted to ride )

This upcoming season I'm planning on riding her a lot, to save money (just one car and one bike to insure vs 3 cars and one bike )

I also plan on upgrading the ignition system on the bike. I don't believe there is as much spark energy as their could be, and on cold startup she misses in one or two cylinders until she gets slightly warmed. Much more noticable when it's 5 degrees outside.

Anybody here do any ignition upgrades that increased the power/duration of your spark? I'd love to hear about it!

Dan
            Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• Hey Dan,

Aside from getting just aftermarket supercoils like Dyna or Accel, you can go for the MSD upgrade....kinda pricey though!

See this link in the members forum for a nice discussion:
              MSD module dsicussion Member's Forum
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Pics up again!

I put the pics I could save back up again at the following place:

Pics

I'll have more pics up this spring because now I have a digital camera!

Dan
                Home of ENIAC

Comment

• .. Wow, great duster!. how fast is it?

Comment

• Good to see you back, Dan. You had kind fallen off the face of the earth for a while. I thought maybe that FI XS had killed ya
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• some more pictures of the xs

not all of the XS. This is the first trip I took the bike on after I fitted the megasquirt.

Link
                      Home of ENIAC

Comment

• There is an ignition module/firmware for Megasquirt v2 now I believe

Comment

• Dan,
                          I plan on going with the megasqirt for the winter project. I would like to know what size injectors you are using, and how you fire them. I know you can do sequential, but most people just do "bank" type fire.
                          The pics look good, but how is the throttle response compare with carbs?
                          Ray
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• RE: Snow

Originally posted by Snow
                            There is an ignition module/firmware for Megasquirt v2 now I believe
                            Snow, still alive I see? I heard you might be selling that Brit bike. Does that mean you'll break out the xs11 again :-)

Dan
                            Home of ENIAC

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverRay
                              Dan,
                              I plan on going with the megasqirt for the winter project. I would like to know what size injectors you are using, and how you fire them. I know you can do sequential, but most people just do "bank" type fire.
                              The pics look good, but how is the throttle response compare with carbs?
                              Ray
                              Hi DiverRay - I never did find out what the exact rating of the injectors was. I'm using the stock ones out of a Gixxer 600 (2002 I believe).

I do the bank fire - just like you said.

Throttle response is as good if not better than it ever was with carbs. Tuning is infinately better, no pulling carbs off to mess with stuff

Dan
                              Home of ENIAC

Comment

• Yeah, I'm still kicking for the moment
                                The Speed 4 will be going to my other brother, replacing the Helix for his main 2 wheel vehichle. This Helix was bought brand new in 1986 (I believe) for my mom btw.

Speed4: Great HP in it's power band, awesome handling and stopping. Downside: having to shift all the darn time - you really have to work at keeping in power.

XS11: Not really an XS11, but an XS12 now Great toque *anywhere* on the tach and no payments to be sent to the bank. Much more comfortable.

My XS will very soon be coming out of short-term hibernation and possibly be getting back on the FI track in a few months when finances allow. I may even try to trailer it up to MI for the next blessing - have been meaning to check that scence out for a while now.
                                Last edited by Snow; 01-11-2006, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X