No announcement yet.

Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool - glad to hear you're doing well. How much difference did you notice with the bore kit installed?

Dan
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• It's been awhile, but it was noticable by the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter. It's not like adding a turbocharger or anything, but it was noticable.

If I had it to do again, I would do the extra work and have the heads ported/polished...even if I ended up doing it at home with a dremel - and give it a valve job. I only adjusted the valve shims.

The main reason I did the bore kit was that I wanted to get the original engine (with fully working transmission) back into the bike. The engine that was in it up until the swap back to the original is now in your possesion I believe.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• mainlylinux, You said that you used a 2002 GSXR 600 Throttle Body rack on your 1100. Do those throttle bodies have 2 butterflies? If so what did you do with the 2nd set of butterflies? Aren't they normally computer controlled? Did you get the entire GSXR wiring harness too so that you have all of the right plugs and connectors? If not what did you do about the plugs into the injectors and the TPS?

Comment

• Great Questions. Are you adding EFI to your XJ1100; then we share the same goal.

I won an ebay auction last week and waiting on the mail for a GSXR600 throttle body. I need to talk to mlinux about details and I need connectors. Will probable take a road trip to a salvage yard. Does anyone know where I can find a suitable fuel pump?

I'm buying the megasquirt V3 kit soon.

Are you considering ignition control? If you want, call me. I'll send my phone number in a private message. Stan
          '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
          Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
          '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
          Stan Hutchison

Comment

• I've got a long way to go. I need to rebuild my XJ 1100 completely. I bought a 1998 GSXR 750 throttle body rack for use with Megasquirt. It has only one butterfly, the throttle. I need to get the wiring harness, but they were only on 1998 and 1999, so they are somewhat rare and pricey. I just hate carbs, but I have a long way to go. I am in Dallas.

Comment

• check out the megasquirt forum. There is a list of different TB's and their specs like fuel pressure. I want to say it is in the low 40's.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• Snow, when you dremel out those ports, here's an option.

The lower port gets shaped like a razorback ridge. A porting job like that made my 1196 'go off' almost feels like it'll explode at full throttle. With hotter cams, it'd be even better but I prefer an XS11 for street/road riding and stock cams are perfect for that, but 80' cams with a bit more lift would probably be an improvement too.

Comment

• Yes mine had the dual butterflies. I took out the secondary set and used some epoxy to fill the hole left by the non-existant secondary shaft.

I got part of the harness - the part that plugged into the injectors and the part that plugged into the throttle position sensor. I then spliced the wires into the megasquirt harness.

Dan

Originally posted by leethom
                  mainlylinux, You said that you used a 2002 GSXR 600 Throttle Body rack on your 1100. Do those throttle bodies have 2 butterflies? If so what did you do with the 2nd set of butterflies? Aren't they normally computer controlled? Did you get the entire GSXR wiring harness too so that you have all of the right plugs and connectors? If not what did you do about the plugs into the injectors and the TPS?
                  Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• Current pics and video

Do you have any current pictures, or video? Maybe a photo album of a step by step build?

I don't know how practical it might be to do a conversion like this, but I ride a 26 year old bike, so practicality is not high on my list!

I think I might like to try this in the future. Got get youngblood through college first though...

greg
                    Gone but never Forgotten:
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• Yeah, I'd be quite interested in a step by step, as well as what you've spent total, and an outline of the problems you've run into/overcome.
                      "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

• Show me the pictures...

I just spoke to Dan (mainlylinex) on the phone, He's provided a lot of info. So here's the status on adding EFI on my '82 XJ1100:
                        I have a 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 Throttle body ($62), a '99 Hayabusa 1300 fuel pump ($92) This is an in-line pump with a internal regulator, and a Megasquirt Version 3 board ($254). Includes a SimBoard and a some wiring.

I'm replacing the Yamaha stock ignition TCI system with a GM DIS unit. See this site on how it works. http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/ex...tup-gmdis.html

My spare bed room looks like an electronics lab.

I'm half finished...taking lots of pics and keeping a notebook. With luck, I plan to finish the project and post the results by June 30th '06. (Hmm...that's my Birthday.)
                        Stan Hutchison

Comment

• awesome! Can't wait to see the step by step on that one.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

• Yeah, I hate my carbs, too. I'm really interested in this step-by-step.
                            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                            1982 XS650
                            1980 XS1100g
                            1979 XS1100sf
                            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

• I had forgotten just how bad my carbs/fuel system is...I am starting to feel some urgency in getting my project rolling again - might have to call you up Dan
                              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• Status report:

I'm getting closer...

Last week, I got the GM DIS ignition system working. Way cool. The MC is running in "limp" mode, firing at TDC. Wow, pleaty of spark. And yesterday, I complete the ECU. It passed two of three bench tests. Hmm, time to do some troubleshooting.

I should test the electronic ignition with a working advance before removing the carbs. (Build a little, test a little.) This being Easter Sunday, time is limited. And it's tax weekend.

Gosh, I need to clone myself.

This project is consumig; "It's not just a job, it's an adventure."

And I need to get my website running. Wow, so much to do. CUL, Stan
                                Stan Hutchison

Comment

Working...
                                X