Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    That's all I'm saying. Not trying to argue with anyone
    Me neither. Nor trying to convince anyone to change either. Each to their own. I just think that if someone discovers an effective modification, say like Geezer's rectifier/regulator, (which gives full charging at much lower revs) and does the mod. and comments on it favourably, it doesn't seem quite right to me that people who've never actually done the mod and never experienced it in operation should feel able to comment negatively about it. Or indeed comment at all about the effects of it, or the difficulty/simplicity of carrying it out. Or, as recently, imply that devotees of the mod. in question are somehow not being forthright about the process or its effects.

I expressed an interest in the Venture CCT recently. I voiced doubts, concerns, asked questions and read the responses. I wasn't fully convinced but, guess what, I carried out the mod. before sounding off knowledgeably about whether it was hard to do, or worked, or didn't work. In this particular instance, having kept an open mind and actually doing the mod., I realised that I had been WRONG in my initial concerns and posted to that effect... and benefited. I'm really pleased I didn't say "The CCT mod is no good and I've never done it and never will and it's not so easy as people make out".
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I think that is the thing that bothers us. It's not that the nay sayers are saying it's just not for them, but that it's just plain bad, when they have no experience to base this on. IIRC part of why this was even thought up was because of a section in "XS11 Heaven" that talks about the original FD ratio and the change and WHY it was changed and that it was done at the last minute. As I understand it, only the later 750's and 850's had the changed ratio in the middle drive, with the earlier models having the same ratio as the FD change gives the 11, and then it was changed in the later models to provide the final ratio of the 11 for better performance.

Everything I've read says it was changed, providing better performance in later models, maybe they gave them an even lower ratio?
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thank you Cy, I knew I had read it somewhere but I didn't connect it with Bobs book. Freakin' old age.

Bob was actually a Yamaha dealer so he knew the lowdown.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Everything I've read says it was changed, providing better performance in later models, maybe they gave them an even lower ratio?
          As far as I know it did Cy. That's why it has been thought "to bad the triple middle drive wouldn't fit the 1100 as you would have a quarter miler being able to use all five gears". Now that would give you some hot 60ft times!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

For the record and for Keithh, I got my filter bolt loose by using the Sockets with reverse teeth. Pounded the smallest one that would fit on and started using the socket for it. Irwin at O'Reilly's makes a set for getting stuck bolts out. smallest size was 3/16 or 8mm. POUND it on and then start wrenching. Will be surprised that it takes almost no force compared to what you have been exerting on it prior to using it.

As far as the FD goes. I have had ZERO issues so far with the stock FD. If someone wants to send me the 750/850 FD to try out and give REAL feedback on this issue I will gladly do so. Untill that time, the stock FD stays and works just fine. 90mph in 3rd gear is PLENTY alright with me
            1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
            1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
            1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
              If someone wants to send me the 750/850 FD to try out and give REAL feedback on this issue I will gladly do so.
              Eh? How do you mean "real" feedback? Are saying that the feedback from people who have, based on what you've said about yourself, a lot more experience than you of bikes in general, XS11's specifically and in working on them (by the sound of it), is somehow not 'real'? None of it is 'real' until you get a freebie, try it out and pronounce your "real feedback"? Based on .... what experience, did you say? I'd stick to asking how you get bolts out, if I were you!

As people keep saying, if you like what you've got, either way, keep it, use it. But don't on the one hand, ask for advice about something simple and then dismiss other views on more complicated issues as somehow invalid, just because you don't like the idea....never having tried it. Nobody's trying to persuade or convince you to do the mod and certainly not enough to send you an FD, I'd think. Why would they feel the need to convince you? You sound like you think they are. All it is, is that they've done the mod. have posted feedback and it is, I can assure you, feedback which is "real", valid and objective.

Like I say, if you're happy with your FD, by all means be so. Same goes for the ones who've swapped. Everyone's happy then. Can't be bad!
              Last edited by James England; 06-27-2011, 07:38 AM.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                Eh? How do you mean "real" feedback? Are saying that the feedback from people who have, based on what you've said about yourself, a lot more experience than you of bikes in general, XS11's specifically and in working on them (by the sound of it), is somehow not 'real'? None of it is 'real' until you get a freebie, try it out and pronounce your "real feedback"? Based on .... what experience, did you say? I'd stick to asking how you get bolts out, if I were you!

As people keep saying, if you like what you've got, either way, keep it, use it. But don't on the one hand, ask for advice about something simple and then dismiss other views on more complicated issues as somehow invalid, just because you don't like the idea....never having tried it. I can assure you, the feedback from everyone who has done this mod.is "real", valid and objective.

Like I say, if you're happy with your FD, by all means be so. Same goes for the ones who've swapped. Everyone's happy then. Can't be bad!
                I think he just meant that he could give his personal experience as to what he felt with the 750 FD mod.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Whew, someone understood the post...
                  I think he just meant that he could give his personal experience as to what he felt with the 750 FD mod.
                  That is precisely what I meant. People gave me grief for knocking it till I tried it, So I simply said, send one over and I can give (and I'll rephrase from last time) MY REAL feedback, from MY personal experience. Let's not get our grunders knotted up too tightly gentlemen they are all opinions and everyone is entitled to one.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Whew, someone understood the post...That is precisely what I meant. People gave me grief for knocking it till I tried it, So I simply said, send one over and I can give (and I'll rephrase from last time) MY REAL feedback, from MY personal experience. Let's not get our grunders knotted up too tightly gentlemen they are all opinions and everyone is entitled to one.
                    Mmmm... I'm trying to think of two words which the acronym FD could stand for, which would embrace the passions that this thread has unleashed (ironic, when you think, it wasn't even about the FD thang). How about "Flaming Dramatic" or "Frighteningly Doubtful" or "Feeling Desperate"??

To be perfectly honest, I sincerely think that everyone MUST ride a 'stock' XS1100 with OEM FD, just to experience what it was that set the world alight in 1977 (when I rode a brand-new one away from a showroom and saddled myself with debt). And, since I am in appeasement mode for my previous candour, I must say that I do miss the OEM FD superblast feeling a bit.... but.....I don't miss the stressed engine feel at 55mph. Can't have everything so....enjoy your bike, Mr Brown.....stick to your guns, do your thang and then, if you ever get to be old and tedious like certain other forum members (me), settle down into a more sedate FD. You may even start posting about it and praising it in ten years time but... remember.... I'll be out there, barely hanging on to life, just so I can pop up and say "told ya!"

Comment

Haha, right on James. No hard feelings here, just trying to get everyone on the same page. Also, the whole stuck bolt thread is done anyways. All the oil is changed and filter is new. Although I did forget to put the washer in with the filter as it was burried in the old oil in the drain pan. Oh well, I will keep it for the next oil change I do enjoy the FD stock, and have no idea what the mod feels like, just hear say. Lower RPM's and not as much giddiup is what it sounds like. Those don't appeal to me in my late 20's I wango fast! Last night was the first time I took her out for longer than an hour. Just went cruisin down the Minnehaha Creek here in Minneapolis. What a great ride and super fun at night when no one is in front of you Poses for some neat curvy driving. Still don't agree with the bad handling people claim about them. Seems to CUT pretty well for me. Anyways, wish I could have boughten one of these brand new I just have to work my tail off and get her as close as I can.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Haha, right on James. No hard feelings here, just trying to get everyone on the same page. Also, the whole stuck bolt thread is done anyways. All the oil is changed and filter is new. Although I did forget to put the washer in with the filter as it was burried in the old oil in the drain pan. Oh well, I will keep it for the next oil change I do enjoy the FD stock, and have no idea what the mod feels like, just hear say. Lower RPM's and not as much giddiup is what it sounds like. Those don't appeal to me in my late 20's I wango fast! Last night was the first time I took her out for longer than an hour. Just went cruisin down the Minnehaha Creek here in Minneapolis. What a great ride and super fun at night when no one is in front of you Poses for some neat curvy driving. Still don't agree with the bad handling people claim about them. Seems to CUT pretty well for me. Anyways, wish I could have boughten one of these brand new I just have to work my tail off and get her as close as I can.
                        Without that washer in there the spring will push into the rubber on the filter and then the filter will begin to let unfiltered oil through into the engine. Dont know how long it takes to get to that point but figured I would let you know.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

damnit, I knew that was gonna bite me in the butt at some point. better put it back in there. Taking off the filter housing will just allow the oil in the crankcase to drain out correct? Not the whole oil pan? I would rather drain out good oil and replace then have something worse happen Damn those little parts!

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Correct. If your careful you can even keep the oil in the filter cup. Shouldnt loose too much though.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Strangely enough, I changed my oil and filter this afternoon and have just been out for a little ride. I put my washer on the top of the filter...... and refitted the housing. Then thought "that's not right" and had to reverse it all. The washer goes directly on top of the spring and pushes on the rubber ring in the middle..... easily done. Even by experienced old timers (ha ha)

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                                Mmmm... I'm trying to think of two words which the acronym FD could stand for, which would embrace the passions that this thread has unleashed (ironic, when you think, it wasn't even about the FD thang). How about "Flaming Dramatic" or "Frighteningly Doubtful" or "Feeling Desperate"??

To be perfectly honest, I sincerely think that everyone MUST ride a 'stock' XS1100 with OEM FD, just to experience what it was that set the world alight in 1977 (when I rode a brand-new one away from a showroom and saddled myself with debt). And, since I am in appeasement mode for my previous candour, I must say that I do miss the OEM FD superblast feeling a bit.... but.....I don't miss the stressed engine feel at 55mph. Can't have everything so....enjoy your bike, Mr Brown.....stick to your guns, do your thang and then, if you ever get to be old and tedious like certain other forum members (me), settle down into a more sedate FD. You may even start posting about it and praising it in ten years time but... remember.... I'll be out there, barely hanging on to life, just so I can pop up and say "told ya!"
                                Yeah, there is nothing like twisting hard on that right grip and having the feel of that front wheel come up off the ground on a full dresser on nothing more than torque! It's both feelings at the same time, having to extricate yourself from the seat afterwards, and having to wipe that silly grin off your face as well. You don't quite get that with the 750 FD, but then I don't really need to do that, and didn't really want to do that anyways, and being that I did it in both 1st and 2nd, I've guessing I can still do it in 1st now if needed. I'm still enjoying that it does feel smoother handling as a road bike, and being that is my riding style, that's the most important thing anyways.
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X