Stuck Filter Bolt and FD filler plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
    I've heard enought to make my opinion on the swap and I won't be doing it.
    I suppose that those people who have done the swap are able to comment more accurately though on the results. We've ridden our bikes with the OEM FD and with the swap. So we know exactly what it feels like to ride both. People who haven't actually done the swap really aren't so well able to comment accurately on the effects of it, don't you think? Apart from quoting other people's experince. It's a bit like saying you don't like a book that you've never read and won't ever read it because you've "heard enough" about it.

On the recent poll of the swap, only one person did it and changed back. I did the swap with a very open mind indeed. If it had been in any way unsatisfactory, I would have spent a pleasant 45 minutes with the spanners, putting the OEM drive back on. After 4 previous XS1100's to this one, always with the feeling of a missing 6th gear, I find it a brilliant modification. And, as I say, I've ridden my bike with both drives and am therefore speaking from experience. As to it being non-standard... well.... so long as it looks pretty standard, who cares? The only difference visually is the lack of the word Yamaha on the bottom part of the FD.

If someone does the swap, rides it and doesn't like it, by all means change back and post the findings here. But saying you're never going to try it really doesn't say anything. Why not give it a go and then post back what you think? It's a cheap and easily reversible mod. You might even like it

Oops.... thread going astray.....
    Last edited by James England; 06-23-2011, 06:17 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

PS. Here's a pic of the 750FD...... non-standard for the XS1100 but I doubt most people would notice... just no 'Yamaha' under the axle nut...

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Notice I did say a custom maybe later. I am still new to the XS and even bikes in general. This is my first one and would like to keep it as much stock as I can. Fun convo piece if I keep it AND get another one. Which I have already thought about I just wanna get this one in near mint condition and then I will talk about mods and upgrades. I would like to feel an original before switching a bunch of stuff around so I know what they DID, and STILL CAN feel like. Thats all I am saying. If people said, "the 750 FD is a must-do no ifs, ands, or buts about it, I would maybe consider it more. They opinions seem 50/50 so I am in no hurry to change something that isn't broken is all.
        1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
        1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
        1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Notice I did say a custom maybe later. I am still new to the XS and even bikes in general. This is my first one and would like to keep it as much stock as I can. Fun convo piece if I keep it AND get another one. Which I have already thought about I just wanna get this one in near mint condition and then I will talk about mods and upgrades. I would like to feel an original before switching a bunch of stuff around so I know what they DID, and STILL CAN feel like. Thats all I am saying. If people said, "the 750 FD is a must-do no ifs, ands, or buts about it, I would maybe consider it more. They opinions seem 50/50 so I am in no hurry to change something that isn't broken is all.
          Yes, that's understandable. I think the division of opinion is more about the effect of the swap FD as opposed to its reliability. Some people have done 30k miles on them. I don't think there is any mod. that will get a no ifs or buts because there are so many bikes and so many people. It's extremely unlikely that the OEM FD will ever break. It's virtually unheard of, so the FD swap really isn't something that anyone would do in response to the OEM FD breaking. Yes, run the bike with the OEM FD for a while and see if you think it's a bit frantic at anything over 55mph. It may be exactly what you want. It's not 50/50 on the opinions though... well, I don't think so. And the recent poll shows that only one person changed back. But, as you say, you want to experience the bike as it was made. Quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            PS. Here's a pic of the 750FD...... non-standard for the XS1100 but I doubt most people would notice... just no 'Yamaha' under the axle nut...

You must have the earlier version James. My 80 850 FD does have the Yamaha on it.

The later ones are easier to install also, you don,t have to worry about getting the pinion bearings FUBAR so much. The bearing plat has a mall screw in it to keep it from coming off when you remove the pinion nut.

I really like the taller gear, I've had it in there for over 2 years now. It's staying.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              You must have the earlier version James. My 80 850 FD does have the Yamaha on it.

I really like the taller gear, I've had it in there for over 2 years now. It's staying.
              Ooo... I might look for one of those then, actually. I'd like a spare anyway, especially with Yamaha on it.

Yes, mine's staying too. Apart from the thrills provided by my nitrous system a few years ago, this FD swap is the best ever mod. IMO

Comment

Notice I did say a custom maybe later. I am still new to the XS and even bikes in general. - - -
                Hi Lance,
                the FD's look so much alike that no-one will know unless you tell them.
                There is no "best".
                XS750 FD gives a lower rpm for any speed in any gear and is better for high speed long distance work.
                XS11 FD gives easier pull-away and better in-town riding flexibility.
                You can swap over and swap back with relative ease.
                Note that I've never done the swap but my 55 years of wrenching at stuff leads me to think it ain't quite as simple as the swapover proponents claim it to be.
                BTW, the stock FD is just about perfect for sidecar use.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Note that I've never done the swap but my 55 years of wrenching at stuff leads me to think it ain't quite as simple as the swapover proponents claim it to be.
                  Oh no... not another one who's never done the actual job commenting on how simple or not it is! Believe me, as someone who has actually done this modification, when I say it is simple to do. I did the whole job, including making and zinc-plating the spacer for the driveshaft in 90 minutes. That's from first spanner on the bike to test riding it. I really don't see the point of posting things on the forum if people just gainsay whatever is said, without ever having done it themselves.

BTW, I wanted to double-check the torque on the drive pinion nut (since they differ between type I and type II FD's. I removed the FD, checked the torque and refitted it, ready to ride in 45 minutes. Hardly difficult.

Comment

- - - Believe me, as someone who has actually done this modification, when I say it is simple to do. I did the whole job, including making and zinc-plating the spacer for the driveshaft in 90 minutes. - - -
                    Hi James,
                    depends if you got the gear, dunnit?
                    It'd take me a day to borrow the time on a friend's lathe to make a spacer and a week to research the techniques of home zinc plating. After that, yes, it's a doddle.
                    Mind you, I have to respect a person who can lay his hand on the required wrenches without first spending a day looking for them.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi James,
                      depends if you got the gear, dunnit?
                      It'd take me a day to borrow the time on a friend's lathe to make a spacer and a week to research the techniques of home zinc plating. After that, yes, it's a doddle.
                      Mind you, I have to respect a person who can lay his hand on the required wrenches without first spending a day looking for them.
                      Only if you want to be silly about it. My spacer, as it in the tech tip, is a copper pipe, took about 5 minutes with a pipe cutter that I picked up at the home depot for $6 at the same time I picked up the copper pipe. But you likely right that the stock FD is probably pretty good gearing for a sidecar rig. Then again, being it's a special, it might benefit from the higher gearing. I mean, it's the same gearing as the 750's and 850's have, and they handle a rig pretty well right? I can't seen any need to zinc plate the spacer or anything like that, just no need for it.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

a friend's lathe to make a spacer
                        Oh c'mon, you are joking, aren't you? A lathe?? Has anyone mentioned, in any of the threads about this, a lathe?? No..... And, as for zinc plating, I only did that because I had the kit anyway and no, it doesn't take a week anyway.... it takes 10 minutes to read a little leaflet that came with the kit. Nobody has ever said that zinc-plating is required for the FD swap. My spacer is ferrous and might rust... possibly... and no it's not necessary (just slap grease on it) but I had the gear to do it, so why not? But no, not essential, I agree. Nobody said it was though....

I looked about for a bit of copper pipe and would have used that except I only had a piece of 15mm diameter available and that was too small. So, all fired with enthusiasm, with everything ready to go, and all the shops closed on a Sunday, I looked around the garden and found an old patio chair with tubular steel legs. I measured the diameter and found it was perfect, so I sawed a piece off and used that.

Re tools.... as an experienced mechanic, I'm sure you appreciate the value of orderliness with tools..... although for this, all you need are the most basic tools...a few spanners and maybe a socket set.....

I can understand now why you thought us FD swappers were somehow not being objective about how easy the swap is and doubted one's word. You thought it involved a lathe and zinc-plating tank with a week's research and spanner hunting. Honestly, it doesn't..... all it takes is 90 minutes, a bit of old patio chair leg or plumbing pipe, silicone, a 5c washer and 3 spanners.
                        Last edited by James England; 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I looked around the garden and found an old patio chair with tubular steel legs. I measured the diameter and found it was perfect, so I sawed a piece off and used that.
                          Sooo, thats now the chair reserved for when the Mother in Law visits ??
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Done!

Sounds great....a bit off topic tho everyone. Filter bolt and FD bolt are out. Bike is rockin, with all new gear oil and engine oil. Did compression check and found that all are about 150-152. Also took care of one of my other threads which was about the idle being off and no.2 cylinder not firing. Found that the idle screw was not out even a mm of a turn. Idle is great. Still need to get correct tuning with Colortune, but the off idle and popping at idle is better. So this thread can be keeshed. Thanks all for you input. Was a treat getting those Bastards out. Next up cosmetics and fork rebuild!
                            1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                            1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                            1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

About the use of a lathe and zinc plating setup..
                              Gonna go out on a limb here..

Fred is joking.

Comment

Nawwww..........Fred is absolutely serious ALL THE TIME..................he has no sense of humor that I can detect....
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X