Stuck Filter Bolt and FD filler plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Filter Bolt and FD filler plug

Anyone have any ideas on removing these two bolts. I cannot get them out for the life of me. Tried, PB Blaster, Heat, socket, box wrench, vise grip. Thinking about cutting a flat head slot in the Filter bolt and trying that. FD filler plug, maybe the same but I don't wanna cut into it. So if someone has a better idea, let me know.

Thanks
    1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
    1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
    1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Getting the fill plug open is more important than the drain plug so focus on that first! I have read people being able to wack the middle drive fill plug with a chisel to get it loose but I don't think that applies to the rear fill plug as its recessed... If your having that hard of a time I would go buy an allen for your 3/8" ratchet and use a deadblow hammer, give it a good wack. Apply the same wack to the end of a 6 sided box wench on the drain plug, should come off...
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

No, they are terribly stripped. I tried cutting the Oil Filter bolt for a flat head screw driver and that didn't work either. The filler plug in the final drive has a crush washer under it and is super stuck. I can't find anything to get ahold of it. It sounds like it is whistling now when it's in gear. Definately sounds like the Final drive. Don't know if that is oil or grease. I just greased it, and I can't check the oil so I have no idea what it looks like. I don't really wanna run it any more till I get new oil in it. But I need some serious ideas or maybe a machine shop at this point. Frustrating!

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

I had the same problem with the oil filter bolt as you; the PO had completely rounded it off. I used a sharp chisel, and catching the edge, managed to knock it loose and got it off with pliers. And don't throw the bolt away; I turned down what was left of the head to 1/2", drilled out a 1/2" nut and welded it to the bolt (a 1/2" nut is the same as 19mm). Problem solved...

The filler may be harder; worse case, have a sacrificial allen welded to it to get it out, then replace. You could also drill it out and use an easy-out, but you'll probably get metal filings inside the drive. It's possible to flush the drive, but it'll be a PITA...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have removed stuck allen headed bolts by hammering a torx driver in to the bolt and then twisting out. If you remove the airbox you will be able to use a hammer-type impact driver.

The drain plug you will need to attack differently. Use Steve's idea or weld a nut on the drain bolt while it is in place. The heat will help loosen it and now you have a new nut to put a wrench on.

Comment

Thought of the welding idea, and by the sounds (and my unsuccessful efforts) I will probably have to go that route. I don't really wanna put metal shavings into the FD. Also thought of that, and wasn't sure how easy it would be to flush it. Don't really wanna try tho Doesn't sound like fun or worth the risk of not getting them all out. I have a couple of buddies who can probably do it for me. No welder here. The filler plug looks really dirty around it. Could be a PITA either way. Clearly neither have been taken off in quite some time. Will feel a lot better when I can change all the oils

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

As for the filter bolt, steve's method or if you have access to it, an air hammer with a chisel bit is a better version of steve's method. You'll need to replace the bolt of course. The FD filler plug may require a combo of some of the previously mentioned methods, namely a torx bit to get a new bite, coupled with the use of a manual impact driver, not a commonly recognized or even commonly used tool, but perfect for this application.
              http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7.../Impact_driver
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

That FD filler plug should come out fairly easily with the afore mentioned small chisel on the outer edge. If it starts getting too deep a bite switch to using a small punch in the notch you started. Just firmly tapping on the top of the plug will help loosen the grip the threads have on each other also.

The oil filter bolt is in a much more awkward place to work. The 6 point box end wrench would work the best there but a GOOD pair of vise grips with good sharp teeth will work if the flats on the head are too rounded.

If you keep as much steady pressure on the bolt as you can and again firmly tap it on the end and it should come out faily easily also.

If you have to resort to the vice grips be sure your using them as they were intended, a lot of people don't.

The force should be exerted towards the locking handle side.

Heh heh......and ALWAYS remember........lefty loosy....righty tighty.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

well I have tried all of that...not to be a smarta$$, but I mentioned everything I have tried in the first posting. Anyways, I will try to use vise grips and tap the filter bolt. The FD bolt is almost to the point where I can't even grip it any more and will probably have to weld a nut onto it. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated as always.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Yeah, I had to weld a nut to my middle drive fill plug to get it out on mine when I first got it.

Heh heh..... I always figured it was better to be a smarta$$ than a dumb a$$

Kinda hard for us ol' drunk bikers to keep track of everything posted.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I feel ya, Mr, Brown! A stuck fastener can be soooo frustrating and it's like a bad song that ya can't get it out of yer head.

Filing a couple of flats on the drain plug and the filter bolt will help the Vise-Grip grip. I use a small hammer to replicate the effect of an impact driver. While holding tension on the wrench or Vise-Grips, hit the end of the tool lots of light blows in the direction that you want the fastener to turn. I usually don't have to hit very hard, just a lot of taps until it breaks loose.

The Torx driver will grip the inside of the allen bolt filler if ya use the right size. You will need to hammer it into place.

ManagerMike, the hammer-type impact driver is one of my favorite tools. Besides the screwdriver aspect, snap on a socket and it will tighten and loosen bolts and nuts.

Comment

It sounds like from your posts that your going through alot of the same problems that I worked through. With the help from the people on this sight I was able to get my 81 SH running right. I'm not that far from you. If you want some help. Depending on time frames I might be able to come by and lend a hand.

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on order )
                        79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Comment

That would be pretty sweet ryno if you could make it sometime. Just let me know when you are free. I pretty much fiddle with it everyday, but with the FD whining like it is, I don't wanna run it any more and risk a cato. I will be continuing to work on the Filler plug till I get it out. then the filter bolt so I can change my oil that has fuel in it. After that i will be rebuilding the forks. and after that it should be mainly cosmetic. Hopefully Send a PM when you are available and we can set up a time. Would love to see one of your bikes too

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Having encountered the stuck filter bolt once before, I can tell you that the only method that finally worked for me (after exhausting all traditional methods) was a nut splitter tightened onto the nut and used as a wrench. Took a bit of effort but it worked. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...-Tool/_/N-26gj

As for the FD plug, consider using a modified Ezi-Out. Dont drill the plug, cut down an Ezi out so it fits the shallow hex hole and wind it in. Never tried it myself but it looks like it's worth a crack. You could also assist it by lightly heating the alloy case around the plug with a blowtorch. The alloy will expand quicker than the steel plug so it should help release the threads.

http://www.sunkenmetal.com/stuck_screw.html
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
                              - - - I will be continuing to work on the Filler plug till I get it out. then the filter bolt so I can change my oil that has fuel in it. - - -
                              Hi Lance,
                              the filter bolt needs an air impact wrench and one of those fancy sockets especially made to grip damaged hexagons.
                              (Sorry, CRS kicking in, can't remember what they are called.)
                              How about you pull the FD? Just 4 nuts once you remove the rear wheel. Once you can get directly at the filler plug there's a better chance of getting it moving.
                              Air impact wrench again and an Allen socket.
                              My stuck FD filler came out by carefully filing 2 flats on it and using an open end wrench.
                              If all else fails, pull the FD drain plug, drain whatever oil is in there, turn the FD upside down and pour in the exact amount of Hypoid 90.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X