Stuck Filter Bolt and FD filler plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gareth View Post
    About the use of a lathe and zinc plating setup..
    Gonna go out on a limb here..

Fred is joking.
    So was I. You really do need a lathe and a zinc-plating kit. Otherwise the 750FD blows up.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
      Sooo, thats now the chair reserved for when the Mother in Law visits ??
      Damn, I cut the other three legs to the same length so I had some spare spacers. I should have left them on...
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

it's the same gearing as the 750's and 850's have////not quite, middle-drive pinions is where the difference is on the triples.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I like my bike just the way it is...starting to get the feel of it, and I now TOO don't realize what the fuss was about with the handling of these bikes. I love it. It is very responsive, and can manuever quite easily. High speed turns are still a bit nervy but, hey, I'm still learning. Town driving is VERY VERY fun! Can't wait to get her back to 1980's condition. Mechanically she is almost there! Again I will state: from what I've heard, which was illustrated again on this thread, and I've heard enough. I will keep the stock FD for its "fun factor" and enjoy it. The way it sounds it fits my driving style better than the 750/850 FD's. I'll post some pics when Black Mamba is all better!
          1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
          1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
          1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

They are fun Lbrown............but they WILL eat you in the handleing department when you LEAST expect it.....unlike newer scoots they will do it WITHOUT a warning! Ride safe, you'll enjoy it longer!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Did you say the XS1100 is your first bike? Or did I misunderstand?

Comment

Or are you saying you now have such faith in the swap that you don't think the 750FD will blow up? Please clarify..... if the swap is no good, as I think you've said before, you really should be recommending that we keep them, not give them away, eh?
                I don't think I ever said I thought the FD would blow up. I said I didn't like the stresses brought about by the whole thing, but...I don't care to get into that again. I like the gear ratio just the way it is, and I guess that's all that needs to be said. RPM is my friend.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Yes first bike, and I agree with Jet.
                  1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                  1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                  1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Actually, the XS11 was intended to be produced with the same gear ratio as the 750/850 but was changed just before production.

This because with the higher gear ratio in the XS11, the production Kawaski 1100 was slightly faster in the 1/4 mile. So the lower gear was introduced to allow the production XS11 to get a better ET so Yamaha could have bragging rights.

Simple as that. The stress factor has NOTHING to do with it.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Same problem

Boy, how timely this thread is! I am in process of changing the fluids on my newly acquired 79 XS - the oil drain plug was torqued down to some ungodly number (if 30 pounds is good, 130 must be better??? NO!) Final got that out, but the filter bolt is in so tight, it is on the verge of snapping for as I apply enough torque to rotate the earth. Any additional ideas welcome!!!

Thanks

Keith

Keith
                      Current:
                      1979 XS11F - "Sigmund"
                      1975 Triumph T150V - "Ralph"
                      1975 Honda CB125S - "Blue" - built for my daughter to learn on.
                      1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 - yet another bike that needs me! It followed me home...

Previous:
                      1975 Norton Commando
                      1969 Triumph Tiger 650
                      2002 Yamaha YZ250F

Comment

on the verge of snapping for as I apply enough torque to rotate the earth. Any additional ideas welcome!!!
                        Worst case, remove the drive and take it to a machine shop. The filter cover represents a bigger challenge. This thread should give you plenty of tips. If the bolt is still undamaged, use a six point socket of the correct size. An impact wrench would help, if you have one and a way to get it on the bolt. Use the lowest pressure to get it moving.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Ask Lb how he got his loose. He never did post that I don't think.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

XS11 to get a better ET so Yamaha could have bragging rights.

Simple as that. The stress factor has NOTHING to do with it.
                            Maybe that's true. Maybe not. Pretend I'm from Missouri.

That said, I have played with the XS650 as change of gear ratio is as easy as changing a sprocket. In stock form, the ratio is almost exactly the same as the XS11. I once put on a bigger rear sprocket as I was running around town, mostly. The bike was quick and fun. On the highway is was way too buzzy. A higher 5th gear is available for the 650 for use with stock ratio. The higher ratio is commonly in use, but is acceleration is S L O W. Yes, I realize it's a different bike. Bottom line, stock XS11 FD works great in the twisties. 4K is 60 MPH and very smooth. 5K is smooth too!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Here is the true reality of it. This whole issue of the 750/850 FD option is pure opinion. Some like it, some don't. There is no reason to feel like it is someone destiny or crusade to convince those who don't like it they should, or vice-versa.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

I agree wholely Don. I'm just voicing my EXPERIENCED opionion and some things I have heard or read on the subject.

Those nay sayers who have not experienced the difference seem to me like virgins who say sex is bad for EVERYONE just because that is what they believe even though it was never their experience and they have rationalized it in their minds with false facts.

To each his own I say, but don't tell me I'm wrong for my choice I made by experience.

The stock FD works just fine and I don't hold that against anyone. I like the lower cruising RPMs and when I want to go hard I don't even USE 5th gear and I'll bet I can hang with or outrun anyone here. 1st gear is pretty usless anyway IMHO.

That's all I'm saying. Not trying to argue with anyone
                                Last edited by BA80; 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X