Final Drive Swap Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clyde K. View Post
    Phil, I am doing my fd swap as we speak. Would a piece of 1/16 inch aluminum tub work since there isn't any weight bearing involved?
    I used a bronze spacer/bushing from Ace Hardware cut down to 16-17 MM, nice and beefy. I wouldn't risk it and use something too flimsy. If you gotta get her rolling now, go for it.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Aw shucks. Ok, I will wait until morning and do it correctly. Thanks, Clyde
      Gunnery Sergeant, USMC (Retired), (A gung ho, lifer, Devil Dog) Semper Fidelis
      XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

Comment

I went wild when I did the 750 mod.

I cut the end off of a bad u-joint yoke and made it the same length as the spacer, then drilled and pinned it to the end of the good yoke so it's splined to the drive shaft and acts like part of the yoke, not just a spacer. No problems with it so far.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad to see you guys are still doing the "6th Gear Mod". Shifting was even smoother when I first did the mod and 4th gear roll-on was much more quicker than 5th gear with the Factory 3.3 FD. My original 750 FD is on a local bike that has 0ver 20K on it plus the few thousand I put on it and has the original copper spacer! It rotates with the shaft and really sees no wear.....
          My $0.03 cents ($0.02 + inflation)
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Let's give it up for XSchop, the founding father of the swap.

General question for anyone:

Wasn't the Special the more "popular" model, in terms of numbers of bikes sold, in the States? Maybe I'm wrong, and the Special was sold in smaller numbers, I just remember the magazine articles on this forum indicate the Special outsold the Standard.

If that's the case, it's interesting that the number of Specials (assuming there were more Specials sold, thus more in the gene pool for the swap) with the swap (based on the poll so far) is lower than the Standards with the swap, being that the Special has shorter gearing by a noticeable amount already vs. the Standard, due to the smaller rear tire.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

HBonser,

I think the shift your seeing is that the Special owners are more cruiser type of guys, so we do not bother with poles as much. As to where the competitive spirit of the typical Standard owner drives them to want to win in the pole, so they vote.

The above is of course a bunch of bullcrap and I have no clue about the numbers. But sicne it is numbers and a poll, some statistician will use them to prove whatever point it is they want to prove anyway.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Good one DG!
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I think it's cause the special guys are too busy chopping their bikes and hardtailing them to be putting the 750 FD on them.

It is interesting isn't it. I actually would have expected it to be the other way around, but a lot of us standard owners have done the swap, or at least more of us will admit to it than special owners will. Someone send Fred one so we can hear how bad it screws up a sidecar rig.

I'm wondering actually now well it would work on a rig like Fred's. Would it be a good mod for a situation like his with that big orange wart hanging off the side of it?
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I bought one off a 850 Midnight Special then I took a couple long rides and decided I didn't want to install it.

I'm not going to use it and it's up for grabs for the right offer...

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                      I bought one off a 850 Midnight Special then I took a couple long rides and decided I didn't want to install it.

I'm not going to use it and it's up for grabs for the right offer...

Geezer
                      Were the couple of long rides without the swap being done? Or do you mean you did the rides with swap done and then decided to take it off?
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Without it. I didn't get around to it and I decided I liked the gearing the way it was and decided not to change it after all...

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Geezer and anyone near him that's done the swap...

Someone step up and give the Geez a ride on their bike with the swap, so he can be informed as to how the other half lives and save him from himself!

Geezer, can I ask if you ride mostly rural roads (2 lane) or if you get out on the interstate? Not sure what your speed limits are out there in Oregon, but I'd be curious as to the kind of riding you do.

Thanks much!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Geezer doesn't NEED to try it? It isn't for everybody. Now, go out and enjoy your bike! I have a few days before I can get to mine.

Marty (in Irving, TX)
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Just curious what kind of riding he does. It isn't for everyone, that's a given.

That's why I asked the question to Geezer...
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                                Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Geezer doesn't NEED to try it? It isn't for everybody. Now, go out and enjoy your bike! I have a few days before I can get to mine.

Marty (in Irving, TX)
                                I would disagree. I would agree that he may not want to do it just to do it (although it is just plain simple and easy and really simple to reverse it). I really was thinking I didn't want the difference after I got the correct rear tire on my standard, but since my FD was FUBAR and I had a 750 FD cause it was cheaper than an 11 FD, I figured I'd give it a try and if I didn't like it I'd get a replacement 11 FD and go back. Guess what? I'm not going back, no way no how. If I was going to take it drag racing down a sacramento raceway (our local drag strip, which has drags which include bikes) then I would put the stock FD, but I'd also be getting a gastric bypass and stripping the bike down as far as I could as well . That's why the suggestion, cause then without him having the try it, he could see if the difference in the gearing would be for him, cause he just might be surprised, since the 750/850 final gear ratio was the actual ratio the bike was actually designed for. The FD change was done at the last minute for no other reason than bragging rights by having the fastest production bike in the quarter mile, at the expense of everything else. So the FD swap is just putting the final drive ratio back to what the Yamaha engineers had originally intended, rather than what the marketing people wanted. Oh, and BTW, the FD swap on a special gives just about the same effective ratio as a standard with the stock FD, so with the special there is even more reason to strongly consider the swap.
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X