Final Drive Swap Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Swap Poll

Interested to see the # of Special owners vs. the # of Standard owners that have done the 750/850 FD swap and kept it, and also if you've done the swap, did you go back to stock?
    I have a Special and did the FD swap, kept it.
    36.11%
    I have a Standard and did the FD swap, kept it.
    58.33%
    I have a Special and did the FD swap, went back to stock.
    5.56%
    I have a Standard and did the FD swap, went back to stock.
    0.00%
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Janet done it.......yet.

I have not put all that many miles on the original FD, so I want to get some miles before I decide.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep. Swapped in on a MNS, and love it! No plans to ever go back. In fact, if anyone needs a MNS 1100 FD, I have one ready to go!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Put an 850 FD in a 80 Standard, and think it is finer than frog hair! 2.6 mpg improvement on the first tank of gas, I'll see if that holds up over the long run. CZ

Comment

Thanks for the input so far on the poll guys!

Hey, for the one vote that has a Special and went back to the stock FD, do you mind posting up what helped you make the decision to go back?

Thanks much!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I've swapped both my Standard and Special and haven't gone back on either one. I would swap the Standard back to stock gearing, but every time I get on the highway I change my mind and leave the taller gears in there.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Phil,

Swap it, and bring back up to the mountains. You'll quickly find out what the stock set-up is for.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                Phil,

Swap it, and bring back up to the mountains. You'll quickly find out what the stock set-up is for.
                Yep, I've rode both bikes up there with the stock FD's, yes they run much better that way. OR just ride in one lower gear with the FD mod.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Why is NOT DONE IT in the poll

I cant vote (I have one not installed ) and I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of taking it off after the install. No matter if they feel it was worth it. Kinda skewed poll I think.I think I have read every post on this and gotta be honest...Jury's still out.
                  79SF
                  XJ11
                  78E

Comment

You can not convince me this mod is a good thing. I'll say no more.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Well, I should get my FD from Germany next week. I'll be riding my bike over this weekend to remind myself of what it's like. Then I'll fit the FD next week and I'll report back with an objective, dispassionate summkary of what it feels like. I'll obviously not be able to comment on the longevity of the modificication although, reading the posts, this does not seem an issue.

If the mod. is no good for me, or disappointing or brilliant, I'll be the first to say so......
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        You can not convince me this mod is a good thing. I'll say no more.
                        You mention bringing a modified FD bike to the mountains to see what the standard setup is for and you don't seem too enthusiastic about the modification. Presumably, you've done the modification and tried it in hilly conditions. Could you tell me how the mod. affects the ride in such conditions? I plan on using my bike in Scotland (which is quite mountainous), so any feedback you have on how it feels would be very useful! Thanks
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                          I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of taking it off after the install. No matter if they feel it was worth it.
                          Why not? When I fit my FD in the next week or so, if it's not what I want, I'll be taking it off. It's an easy job, so I can't imagine anyone who is capable of fitting the 750FD, and who dislikes the results, leaving it on the bike anyway. Why would anyone do that? I had an entire exhaust system made, didn't like it, so took it off. Removing an unsatisfactory FD would be just as quick and easy.

I'll do the swap and thoroughly road test the bike in varied conditions, then report back honestly on what I think. If I don't like the results, you'll see an XS750 FD for sale on eBay. Hopefully, the results will be satisfactory though. The fact that people do the swap, or consider doing the swap or talk about the swap shows that there is definitely an 'issue' with the gearing of the bike.

Previously in this thread, there has been mention of the 'Yamaha engineers' knowing best etc etc. They were by no means infallible and made some serious design errors. The earlier XS750's had several well-known problems. The XS1100 2nd and 1st gear problems are legendary on this forum. They ditched the original coils and ballast resistor which were a mistake. So, whilst they produced a great bike, they didn't always know best. I can't help thinking that the same goes for the FD thing.
                          Last edited by James England; 04-23-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
                            Thanks for the input so far on the poll guys!

Hey, for the one vote that has a Special and went back to the stock FD, do you mind posting up what helped you make the decision to go back?

Thanks much!
                            That would be me I did this mod to reduce the rpm's and better gas mileage . I spent more time riding around town and to work 100Km/60 mile trips where 80Km/50 miles/per hour speed limits are posted were common for me. Because of traffic the fastest I could go was 100km/hour.

My bike just seemed to hate the 3500rpms/5th cruising speed and sounded and felt better at 4000rpms in 5th. The gas mileage just didn't seem to change much for me and the rpm's only dropped about 550rpms. I found needed to down shift more more often too. I also experienced more engine "chatter" going up hills even if I down shifted. After I swapped it back I really noticed the "kiddy up" that wasn't there with the 750/850 mod and much less engine "chatter".

That being said if I knew I was going to be traveling on a major highway for longer periods of time over the riding season where my cruising rpm's would be 4000 to 5000rpms I would swap back to the 850 FD.
                            BDF Special
                            80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                            Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I know some guys that rode to Alaska last year, each on a VMAX. One of them prepped all the bikes with FD swaps in hopes of extending their range. I failed to ask if it made a difference, but I do know all the bikes are back to the original FD.

Their trip was an overall success. I enjoyed seeing the photos.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X