Front Master Cylinder Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Master Cylinder Problems

When trying to remove the cover from the master cylinder on my '78 XS11 the brass inserts for the threads came out. Has anyone ever had this happen before and what did you do or what do you recommend? Thanks
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Can you remove them from the screws and re-use them? Maybe a tiny dab of Gorilla glue on it will hold it in?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I have all of the screws off except one of them that I may have to drill out of the insert. I was sort of thinking JB weld to put them back in but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and if so what they did.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Strange, but on my '79 front M/C the screws go all the way through holes that are molded into the corners of the reservoir and thread into the M/C body. The rear does have the brass inserts though.

Comment

I have a 78 xs that I will be parting out soon. If you looking to replace the master cylinder instead of trying to repair it, send me a PM and let me know.
          Thanks
          1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

"It ain't braggin if you can do it" Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            Strange, but on my '79 front M/C the screws go all the way through holes that are molded into the corners of the reservoir and thread into the M/C body. The rear does have the brass inserts though.
            You have a Special master; the Standard reservoir looks the same but has the brass inserts and 'clamps' to the MC body internally.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              You have a Special master;
              Kinda sounds a bit BDSM to me
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                Kinda sounds a bit BDSM to me

WHAT?

Comment

Lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I guess I will rough in holes up and glue the inserts in tomorrow night then. I wish I had a Special MC, that would make this much easier!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      You have a Special master
                      Ahh, but don't we all?! That 2-wheeled monster that calls to us from the driveway!

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      I wish I had a Special MC, that would make this much easier!
                      That's one thing I really like about the LH. The whole MC is solid metal, with a metal lid that screws on. No plastic reservoirs to deal with (front OR rear).
                      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

That's one thing I really like about the LH. The whole MC is solid metal, with a metal lid that screws on. No plastic reservoirs to deal with (front OR rear).[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible to change over to a solid metal MC?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I usually use red loctite bearing set that will hold inserts. It is heat release.
                          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Would it be possible to change over to a solid metal MC?
                            Well, on the LH, the front MC only powers the front RIGHT caliper. The left is controlled by the rear MC. I would not trust the size of the LH MC to control 2 calipers.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

You have a Special master; the Standard reservoir looks the same but has the brass inserts and 'clamps' to the MC body internally.
                              Umm....No, I have a Standard Master. The Special has that radical angle thing goin on...

Comment

Working...
                              X