Rear Wheel Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel Removal

I just read TopCats pictorial on rear wheel removal, the day AFTER I removed the wheel! Could have put some of his tips to use, but all in all it went ok. I did have a question though, my axle was a LOT harder to remove than it sounds like it should have been. It took a carefully placed punch, & a 3# sledge hammer to drive it out. There seems to be a buildup of rust alond the entire length, although it wasn't "dry", there seemed to be a light greasy film. I was thinking a fine steel wool, & thougough re-greasing before I re-install. Does that sound right?

Use whatever you can to get the rust off without scratching up the axle surface too much. Fine emery cloth would be good also. I use it to polish cranks if I'm not having them ground. I also used high-temp wheel bearing grease on my axle when re-installing and put some on the teeth for the gear drive. Though other more experienced XSr's may have better advice.
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Timing is everything!

Hey Lloydo,

Sorry about that! IF I didn't say so in the tech tip, I'll add it, but yes, I put some bearing grease on the axle shaft as well before putting it back in! Mine also had some mild rust, used emory cloth or such to remove it.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I had the same thing with my project bike. Any of them that sit around for a while will have this issue.

I would take a rag and rub it down as smooth as it gets, clean it up with someacetone or something similar, then coat it with grease. I have a can of high speed bearing grease I use on all such items.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

While you have the wheel off, remove all of the crusty grease from the spider gear and regrease it also. And... you might want to remove the drive shaft to grase the splines at the final drive because the grease zerk does not do a good job.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re-Install

I knew this would happen, too long since I took it apart, & I didn't take pics! Just wanted to double check the order the bolt goes through, from right to left, ( from behind ):
            right swingarm
            caliper bracket
            caliper itself
            collar (spacer?)
            wheel
            final drive
            left swingarm

Correct? The clymer manual I have has what looks like a spcer between the right swingarm & the caliper bracket, in addition to the collar that goes into the disc/rotor. Topcats pictorial shows only the collar as a spacer, & does say the "special" spacer. Just wanted to be sure I didn't lose an extra spacer. BTW, I did go over the axle with some 400 sandpaper & re greased it, slid all the way through by hand!

Comment

Re-Install

Sorry, forgot......at the end is a washer & then the nut.

Comment

spacer

If it's a special, the spacer is already attached to the caliper torque plate.
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure!

Comment

Also maybe use a small screw driver to wedge open the gap where the pinch bolt does. Might help or not. took my brake lever off and had to do that .Just a tiny bit helped.
                    79SF
                    XJ11
                    78E

Comment

Well mine must be welded in. I've loosened the pinch bolt and flogged the living shinola out of it with a five pound lump hammer and it wont budge. Any clues?

Dan.
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                      '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Drive a screw driver in the wedge slot and open it up. Insert a big phillips screwdriver in the hole on the end of the axle and start rotating. Once the axle rotates reasonably it will pull out.
                        1970? Honda Z50... gone
                        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                        1974 Honda CB200... gone
                        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

You can also heat up the AXLE from the nut side with a propane torch, and then hit it with penetrating oil. The cooling should allow the oil to get into the axle a way's. Don't forget to heat around the brake side, but be careful! The end of the axle you pull on has plastic inside of it, and that may melt and burn if you go too heavy with the heat.
                          Most of the rust IS between the wheel and swingarm on the BRAKE side, so plenty of oil in that area.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks gang. I'm going to try vice grips and patience. I don't have a propane torch and I can't see anywhere where I might use a large phillips screwdriver.
                            Automotive Imbecile.
                            Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                            '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

oops thought I had a good pic of the set up but nope
                              1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X