No announcement yet.

Wider front tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm "on the list" for some FJ take off forks and trees, once I get those I'll be looking into this more, possibly running a 17 rear rim on the front. I could use the FJ rim, but it won't match...
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by bwilding_2000 View Post
      Hey, since we are talking about front rims, will a standard and a special front rim swap? Are any special parts needed?
      Short answer....Yes and no. Just the rears are different.

As to trying to 'adapt' a rear to the front... sheesh, the machine work! If I was really determined to do this, I'd find a first-class tig welder and weld the front center into the rear rim...

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        I'm "on the list" for some FJ take off forks and trees, once I get those I'll be looking into this more, possibly running a 17 rear rim on the front. I could use the FJ rim, but it won't match...
        there is a set on ebay, forks and tripple trees for a buy it now of $50
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by bwilding_2000 View Post
          Hey, since we are talking about front rims, will a standard and a special front rim swap ? are any special prts needed?

Hi bwilding,
          Yamaparts swap like LEGO. All XS650/750/850/1100s have the same 7-spoke cast front wheel. The 750/850 wheels have smaller brake disks but 1100 or 650 front disks bolt straight on. Even the XS650 front wire wheels will work if you change their 2-piece disks.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Wider front tire

I went slightly wider with my front tire on my 1979 xs1100"f". I am running Metzlers front and rear. I bought a 110-90, 19" for the front. I had to loosen the brake calipers to slip the wheel on. What I found is alot less "groove tracking" effect on the highway. With the original size I found that the bike wanted to stay in various grooves and creases. I run both front and rear at 40 psi. When riding in the rain, I decrease the rear to 35psi.
            Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
            Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Comment

Working...
            X