Wider front tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wider front tire?

Anyone have any input on the handling side effects of putting on a wider front tire? I've been looking at some cafe and street fighters and some of them look like they are running nearly the same size front and rear, and I kinda like the look. I was looking at my bike and it looks like a 120 might clear the fender and if the fender was modified then a fatter tire would fit between the forks then you can run in the rear.

2nd question, anyone know if its possible to run a rear rim on the front? A 16 or 17 inch rim up front would open up a lot more possibilities for tires. Initial look over seems like the right side of the rear rim with the rotor would be easy, different bearings and spacers, but I've never seen the left side with the drive parts removed from the rim. Anyone know if it would be possible to bolt up a rotor to that side once the drive hub parts are removed?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

LoL Too many hits from the bong man, I dont think it would be that simple, anything is possible though, right? The thing is, they make the tires for the front and rear very specific. You obviously wouldnt want to use a rear tire on the front of your bike (I know you understand that). You might just have an easier time replacing the tripple trees and forks with somthign that can accomidate a fater tire and rim (spoked would be cool)...
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Check this link out.... a guy with a shafty virago put his rear wheel on the front and it looks pretty cool however it takes a lot of work.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10678.0
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

AWESOME!, Anyone want to get rid of a special rear rim? I need something to play with....
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

This could work?

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
          2nd question, anyone know if its possible to run a rear rim on the front? A 16 or 17 inch rim up front would open up a lot more possibilities for tires. Initial look over seems like the right side of the rear rim with the rotor would be easy, different bearings and spacers, but I've never seen the left side with the drive parts removed from the rim. Anyone know if it would be possible to bolt up a rotor to that side once the drive hub parts are removed?
          Hi psyco,
          if you feel driven to do this, how about the 16" x ~3" wide disk brake cast rear wheel from an XS650?
          An XS11 brake disk will bolt right on to one side.
          You'd need to make an adapter plate that fastened to the sprocket bolt holes and had the tapped hole pattern for the second disk.
          Some kinda speedo drive? Noting that the stock speedo would read wrong on a smaller diameter tire.
          Bush the 20mm bearings to 17mm and the job is done.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Could just go with a tach and use an electronic bicycle speedo...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

my parts bike has a 110 spitfire fitted to the front,
              it fills out the guard a lot more than the stock one.
              by the looks of it i dnt think a bigger tyre wouldnt fit,
              i havent ridden it before so dont know how it handles.
              id take a pic for u but my pc getn repaired and the 1
              im using atm is crap.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

that guy did a nice job on his virago.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi psyco,
                  if you feel driven to do this, how about the 16" x ~3" wide disk brake cast rear wheel from an XS650?
                  An XS11 brake disk will bolt right on to one side.
                  You'd need to make an adapter plate that fastened to the sprocket bolt holes and had the tapped hole pattern for the second disk.
                  Some kinda speedo drive? Noting that the stock speedo would read wrong on a smaller diameter tire.
                  Bush the 20mm bearings to 17mm and the job is done.
                  Thanks for the idea fred, is the xs650 wheel different then the rear on the specials? I mean besides the fact that they have a chain bolted to the left side and we have a shaft drive. I'm not worried about the speedo thing, my speedo broke about a year and a half ago and I just use my GPS as a speedo now. I'm off to search e-bay for xs650 wheels now...
                  1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

If you're getting rid of your standard speedo pick-up and going to replace your whole gauge cluster, take a look at what these guys have to offer:

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

Don't know if it's a website or mozilla issue, but I found I need to click above things in stead of on them to make this site work. I like the look of the big dia gauges with the functionality of the LCD displays. I was checking this out when I was having speedo problems on another bike.
                    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Cool site, I've been looking and I like what they have, except that they don't have a "classic" looking combo speed and tach. The one I've been waiting to get is this one Small round in a chrome housing with tach, speed, trip, temp, fuel, and volt meter all in one.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

On a standard, you can fit a 110 on the front. I've run one on my other bike. You could NOT go any wider, though. There just isn't the room between the fork sliders/brakes on a standard. The Special will NOT fit a 110 easily at all! The darn caliper mounts are in the way!
                        Just my own experience...
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Another option would be to run a stock 17" rear, and an 18" front mag off an xs400. The axle is smaller, but there is a bearing swap that makes it work. This will get you closer to the same size, without all the hassle of going rear to front. There are alot more 18" options over the 19" when it comes to tires.

I researched the exact same thing you are last year, and I think I came to conclusion that a 130 or a 5" wide tire, just wouldn't fit on the front without going to wider tripples and a custom axle.

I love where your going with this, as I love the fatty look up front. But most of the cafes I've seen running a rear in front are 650s running spokes, using a rear rim laced up to a front hub.
                          '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Hey, since we are talking about front rims, will a standard and a special front rim swap ? are any special prts needed?

Comment

You could always just swap the entire front end for an FJ front end. They use a 16" front wheel. Don't remember the width off the top of my head but if you are interested, I could go look.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X