No announcement yet.

New project: XS1100 endurance racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just called the shop. On a car, the engine will turn 6K RPM, and the Alternator is geared for 2 or 3 times engine speed. That says 12K or 18K RPM with no problem! Should work!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Just called the shop. On a car, the engine will turn 6K RPM, and the Alternator is geared for 2 or 3 times engine speed. That says 12K or 18K RPM with no problem! Should work!
      Wow! that is good news. Thanks a lot!
      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

This build is AWESOME!

more more more!!!!
        ..... I'll just skip to the Baja part.

Follow my Evan Fell Cycles: Motorcycle Blog
        evanfell.com | twitter.com/evanfell_cycles | flavors.me/evanfell

lots of my motorcycle photos | personal favorites slideshow

Comment

I have been busy adapting the downpipes. That is a pain in the neck because there is no room to play with and the stainless is only 0.8mm thick. Will be very hard to weld and keep it clean....
          Okay first thing is to hack up the Supertrapp collector,before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1279.jpg Views:	18 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	876361

after:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1286.jpg Views:	16 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	876362

Shortened the downpipes on the cylinder side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1295.jpg Views:	16 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	876363

Exhaust side now with separate flanges:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1288.jpg Views:	16 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	876364

test fitting, frame and engine upside down, oilfilter cover must be removable, even with the collector in place:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1292.jpg Views:	17 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	876365

made the outer downpipe radius as tight as possible, but they still touch the framerails... :

So I am now thinking of modifying the frame after all or figure out if i can turn the outer 2 downpipes inwards without losing height (only one finger room between engine and collector box left) and without having to rebend the downpipes (that will be near impossible I guess).

Thanks to the owner of Sparks Trading here in holland I am now the happy owner of a Dymag magnesium cushdrive, 41 alu sprocket in 520....and yesterday I received my matching front wheel from France (brand new and boxed since 2003):

​

No weight problem there, less than 3 kilos:

​​​​
          Last edited by Mathh; 01-12-2024, 06:41 AM.

Comment

And another update:
            I have some more grey hair now after last week... I shortened all downpipes 1.5 inch so the radius starts immediately after the flange. Because of that I had to widen the
            exhaustrings and mounting holes. This Supertrapp collector was a piece of art and extremely accurately built, now a bit less accurate ... jeezz..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	876509

I tilted all four downpipes inwards, the outer ones a bit more than the inner ones..

Name:	IMG_1297a.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	876506

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	876507

It was a pain in the neck to get the pipes a bit symmetrical viewing from the front, have them run around and over the oil filter cover (must be removable with the exhaust on) ánd let them come together at the bottom (top in the pics).
            That coming together did not work that well with pipe #1, that one needs another bend in order to use the old collector again...

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	876508

Both my welding bottles are empty now, going to do that first now...
            Last edited by Mathh; 12-20-2023, 03:50 PM. Reason: added missing pictures

Comment

Would you consider fabricating a 4-2-1 design? That would very much simplify your plight (as the right pair of pipes are aligned and touching, and the left pair of pipes are aligned and touching) if you cut another inch and a half or so from the ends (eliminate the outward bends) It appears that it should line up better, and then you could use some 2-1 Y-pipes, starting with inlets that are equal to your pipe's diameter, and an outlet slightly larger, then use a small length of pipe to connect the two sides together, with a slightly larger yet Y-pipe. I had thought of building a design like that for my XJ650, until I realized it would be too long. (My outlet going to my muffler would be farther back than the rear footpeg) But perhaps it would work for your application. Speaking of which, what are you planning on using for a muffler? Or do you plan on using any muffler at all?
              See this stock CBR1000RR pipe here That is what I got, and cut up to make my pipes that I abandoned. (still have all the pieces though...)
              Last edited by daveyg; 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM.
              BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
              80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by daveyg View Post
                Would you consider fabricating a 4-2-1 design? That would very much simplify your plight (as the right pair of pipes are aligned and touching, and the left pair of pipes are aligned and touching) if you cut another inch and a half or so from the ends (eliminate the outward bends) It appears that it should line up better, and then you could use some 2-1 Y-pipes, starting with inlets that are equal to your pipe's diameter, and an outlet slightly larger, then use a small length of pipe to connect the two sides together, with a slightly larger yet Y-pipe. I had thought of building a design like that for my XJ650, until I realized it would be too long. (My outlet going to my muffler would be farther back than the rear footpeg) But perhaps it would work for your application. Speaking of which, what are you planning on using for a muffler? Or do you plan on using any muffler at all?
                See this stock CBR1000RR pipe here That is what I got, and cut up to make my pipes that I abandoned. (still have all the pieces though...)
                Yeah, I'm considering that as i have a stainless 2009 Blade exhaust at home and some more primary and secondary extractors. Problem is exhaust fabrication is a science in itself. That same science says that with a good 4 -2-1 cylinders #4 and #1 and #2 and #3 should be combined for bikes with a 180 degree design (as our yam). In my case I am combining #1 and #2 and #3 and #4. However the Blade exhaust proves this science different.? This is a nice read : click.
                I have to do some more research befor i make a decision. Great thinking Daveyg!
                Last edited by Mathh; 01-29-2010, 06:03 AM.

Comment

The first exhaust we put on my buddies '77 KZ1000 was some one-off, 4-2-1 that we found on eBay. It combined #4-#1 and #3-#2 at the 4 to 2 y's. My buddy didn't like the looks of a black header with chrome muffler, so he dropped the change for a V&H 4-1. There was a noticeable drop in performance. I would LOVE to build a setup like that for my 11.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Im currently running a 4-2-1, (cylinders 1 & 2 are paired as are cylinders 3 & 4) there is a noticable difference with mid range power
                    compared to a 4 -1, but will lose a cpl of hp at the top end.

pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

hi pete, looks good. Is it possible to give me some section length measurements? What brand is this?

Comment

Of course, Tranzac Australia

Comment

Hey Mathh,
                          The exhaust is a Tranzac system, i believe they are
                          situated in Queensland in aus.

The system is currently on the bike and the measurements
                          are a little rough,
                          the headers are equal length at 63cm, 3cm are fitted into the Y collector,
                          from this Y collector to the end Y connector (secondary pipes) is 52cm from cylinders 1 & 2,
                          and 47cm from cylinders 3 & 4.
                          then theres a chrome extension fitted prior to the muffler.

sometime down the track id like to cut the end Y pipe and fit a X pipe
                          and fit 2 mufflers.

Mathh, u going to use a single or dual muffler system?
                          Last edited by petejw; 01-30-2010, 03:31 AM.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks Pete, did you measure the pipes from the inside (radius) or the outside? And what is the diameter of the primary, secondary and final pipe?
                            I will be building a single muffler system exciting on the right...

Comment

Hey Mathh, with the exhaust fitted to the bike,
                              i took a tape measure from the top of the header pipe
                              down (outside) hope that makes sense.

header pipes are 38.5mm
                              secondary pipe 43.3mm
                              final pipe 51mm
                              these measurements were done with vernier callipers.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots

Comment

Thanks Tomorrow I will check what i have lying around..

Comment

Working...
                                X