New project: XS1100 endurance racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project: XS1100 endurance racer

Here's a project I have been busy with (still am) and want to share with you. Lots of pics for the interested. It will be familiar to some of you guys as I copied most of it from the UK site, which I updated daily.
    Last month a friend of mine, whose hobby is building frames, and myself have been busy in building a replica frame late 70's beginning of 80's endurance racer style. To do that i had to travel 200 miles to Friesland in the north of the Netherlands with in the back of the car: 1 engine, 1 xschop chaindrive, 1 rear wheel, 1 set of rsd front forks, 1 exhaust and a handfull of monoshocks...
    A new one off frame + swingarm was to be made within a couple of weeks for my long dreamed of a classic endurance racer replica whatever..
    What will it look like? Well it will be a mix of a 70's Godier Genoud Kawasaki endurance racer and a 80's Motoplast frame (Kwacker, Laverda). I love these racers as I have been visiting these endurance races in those days when it was still possible to walk through the pits. Lots of ingenious technical solutions coupled with gorgeous styling and big horsepower in comfotable frames. As Yamaha was not exactly overly busy in these days it will be a bike that Yamaha should have built (in my humble opinion). Still had that spare ex-turbo engine lying around so that worked out well.

For the people who don't know the above mentioned bikes: this is a GG kwacker from the 70's:

Click image for larger version  Name:	db033d3e8efe07491c628223ecbeae06.jpg Views:	2 Size:	200.3 KB ID:	876209

This is a Motoplast Laverda:

This is a GG frame (seat and tank are monocoque):

Click image for larger version  Name:	endurance-75-4p.jpg Views:	2 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	876210

This is a Motoplast frame:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0627.jpg Views:	2 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	876211

Frametubes will be thicker though as I think they look tiny. They worked well however in those days. No tubing under the engine. I will definitely go for the monocoque construction, keeping the frame low and short. Looks nice and tidy. It will also get a one off swingarm: I am thinking of a GG lookalike but with a side mounted monoshock although it will be difficult to connect it to the back of the frame

september 24th 2009
    ready for transport. Scruffy ex-turbo engine with shiny chaindrive:

first picture of the mockup...

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	876221

november 20th 2009
    Second pic arrived today.. took a while because the guy just extended his garage to double size..

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu15.jpg Views:	53 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	876247

old wheelbase 1545mm, estimated new one 1440mm, steering head angle was 60,5 degrees, new 66 degrees from horizontal

november 22nd 2009

Tubing for the frame itself will be 32x2 mm (smaller than what he normally uses), for the swingarm 27x2mm. As the front wheel fitted in the end will be a 17" instead of the now fitted 18" , wheelbase will shrink another 20mm to 1420mm. Still looking for that wheel however..
    Next pic show the RC Engineering collector fitted to check clearance.added

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	876692

This frame will not use the two lower front engine mounts (I don't like the looks) but only the upper front ones and the rear ones (solid ones, no rubber). Two extra engine mounts will be made and connected to the upper part of the rear of the engine: one bolted to the chain drive on the left, one bolted instead of the crankcase cover on the right. Alsointhe upperpicture is the solid solution for the front engine mounting , this 30mm pipe has the same diameter as the inside of the engine mount and will be bolted to the frame and stays with the engine when lowered.

November 23rd 2009
    Frame will be 31cm wide where the swingarm mounts, so a 200mm wide rear tire is a possibility.

Kickstarter is a must, so still waiting for an answer if the frame is not too wide at the right side..

Kickstarter is a must, so still waiting for an answer if the frame is not too wide at the right side..

november 25th 2009
    Well, frame was too wide. So cut up and made new, it is now 29cm wide. Still possible to use a 200mm tire if necessary in the future.

Communicating by email is a bit difficult as it turns out. His next step has to be to cut again as it is too high. He already thought it would be too high as he is still thinking in streetfighter lines. I think the correct hight is the same as the intake ports, still good to mount the rear shock I think. I want it as low as possible. Have to wait though as he is asleep now after working last night. He is a proces operator.

november 26th

Well, frame was too wide. So cut up and made new, it is now 29cm

In the meantime i'm having problems in the wheel department. As I cannot find a matching front wheel to the dymag 5-spoke in the pics I obtained two period Marvic Magnesium wheels. The rear wheel I bought in France ( a small regional "a vendre"site) for a ridiculous price. It is a 6x18" wheel. A 5.5x18" wheel would be better but it is a start.
    A marvic front wheel was handed to me by a friend and it looks horrible. I had it checked and it turns out it has a crack in the rim and one of the spokes is oxidized completely. Aluminum oxidizes on the surface only, magnesium oxidizes within the material, unvisible to the eye. So this wheel is good for the bin.

Next update. I asked him to lower the headstock in comparison to the rest of the frame. That way I can ride with clip ons on top of the upper plate. It also makes it easier to place the front frame tubes.

​:

I Don't like the looks of that either, so I asked him to try and get the same look as on the GG and MP frame in front of the cylinderhead were all tubes come together. As there is no room for the horizontal tube from ft to right nor for removing the outer spark plugs he went back to the drawing board. Another friend stepped in with a 3D drawing in order to help: This is the first try,based on his own bike ( a Moto Martin framed ZX750).

I like the look of that but cannot imagine how the rest will look when added. so ...........second try after an hour ... all based on the first pics of the GG and Motoplast frames..

Now we all could visualize everything alot better and In order to achieve my request he altered the way the tube runs along the side, a lot higher now.
    Way better!

And from the rear..

Now this is definitely going in the right direction.

november 26th 2009

Q said he needs info on the shock as this happens without one hahaha

Great program!

Because i want the frame tubes in front of the engine the same as the GG, conclusion was there is not enough room for the tubing AND the possibility to remove the valve cover. I suggested to make the first tube V-shaped, but it was not enough..

After that I suggested to change the wheelbase and the steering head angle to less extreme values. That helped a lot. He also tilted the engine a bit backwards. Now there was room for the extra tubing. Only remaing problem was that the sparkplugs could not be reached anymore. So the tube went upwards, meaning no longer a straight line from headstock via the front tube to the rear. I can live with that as the GG does not have that either.. This is the end result so far:

mmmmm, that's less than we had yesterday

november 27th

He is busy early ..

That's better!
    Last edited by Mathh; 12-31-2023, 09:20 AM. Reason: added missing pictures
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

november 28th 2009

The project goes on and on. Despite the distance it's all going well and we're still having a laugh

Now then, these went in fine and look good. I wanted to lower the front tubes to horizontal but he needed the space available for his welds.
    After the last picture I started worrying about the tubes that are going to pass between the downpipes. Our gimmick expert (we call him "Q") made a drawing to explain:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	876212

The GG frame has them running between the downpipes.
    Turns out that with the RC exhaust these frame tubes need a bend. When I built an exhaust myself the frame tubes can be straight. I think I want them straight but then I need to make an exhaust...
    mmmm... lots of extra work..

In the mean time Q came up with a comparison between my effort and his own Moto Martin frame (Q owns a Moto Martin GPZ750). The Martin frame looks not as stiff as our effort, especially behind the cylinder head. Our frame has 2 triangles at that point:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.5 KB ID:	876213

I remember the XS1100 Moto Martin has 2 extra frame members below the engine running from front to rear.
    I asked Q if he could produce a drawing which shows the difference in stress between the two frames. He'll give it a try at work and this is a pic he did for his own swingarm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.5 KB ID:	876214

This is a pic from late this afternoon: one pipe with three bends. Now he's making another one for the other side that has exactly the same bends:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu23.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	876215

november 29th 2009

Sunday and no time has been wasted. Got a phone call around noon to start up my laptop.

second tube ready:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu25.jpg Views:	17 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	876262

matters were urgent as the two front downpipes interfere a little with the 2 outer exhaust pipes. He asked if he could cut up the exhaust to make room for 2 straight tubes: NOOOOO
    So the exhaust will come off to make room for 2 straight tubes. More work for me...

Added both tubes from the top of the headstock:

Another pic from the rear:

Then we had a big duscussion about strengtening the rear of the steering head. He wanted extra gusseting at the bottom and at the top. We already decided about one tube running from the bottom of the steering head to the V-shaped pipe:

3D sketch from the end result (in chrome!):

for extra strenght i suggested this solution he did earlier on a frame fot a V-Twin:

november 30th 2009

Here we are again.. Added the two front tubes from the headstock down.. Looks great..

The tank is still undecided. My initial plan was a monocoque that could hinge on the front and bolted to the rear frame. However when hinged upwards it will spill petrol won't it.
    So more thinking involved..

november 30th

Here's a pic from the problem area as described yesterday, will need another exhaust because i want the RC exhaust in one piece:

Soon we'll start with the swingarm and the right hand side monoshock. There is a choice between a 1998-2001 with a 80 kg spring and a 2008-09 fireblade with a 120 kg spring. Both are multiple adjustable and have a length of 30 cm, so we can switch if necessary. I have a R1 unit witha 90kg spring on the turbo and that works well (but it is an Öhlins unit). My preference for this bike is the Fireblade unit. Here is a pic:

Q made a calculator to determine optimal placing of the unit:

november 30th 2009

The tank is still undecided. My initial plan was a monocoque that could hinge on the front and bolted to the rear frame. However when hinged upwards it will spill petrol won't it.
    So more thinking involved..

december 3rd 2009

Back on line .. first design flaw: frame cannot be removed from engine without removing frame lugs... So i called him an ass.... (in a nice way):

After a lot of discussion we chose almost the same solution as in the front..:

Don't like it 100% because I wanted the tube through the engine and the lower frametube combined, but in that case the frame would become too wide at that point.

Okay, engine out of the frame. According to Q's calculations, he made this drawing below (little bit different as the frame) it should weigh, 12 kg 270 grams:

The real frame (welding not finished) weighs 11 kg 500 grams at this stage. When welded it will not exceed 12 kg's. Stock frame with lower yoke weighs 20.6 kilos.

The last two days there were several discussions about where to mount the shock , because not all measurements are known at this point. Q also called in some help to check his calculations as he was not sure of the effect of the spring preload. I'm sure it will turn out just fine..
    Tomorrow the frame will be mounted in the welding jig.

Oh yeah, approx. 33 feet of tube went into the build already.
    Last edited by Mathh; 01-04-2024, 03:20 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Comment

december 6th 2009

Here it is, ready for final welding ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091203a.jpg Views:	56 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	876343

Then it went into the jig:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu44.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	876216

and after three hours of adding heat and metal, voila:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu45.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	876218
      And here after adding the engine. It fits like a glove, no distortion from the welding at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu47.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	876219

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu48.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	876220

In the meantime we've had several discussions about wheelbase, trail, rake and so on. We then set up for a 1520mm wheelbase. That is still 25mm shorter than the standard XS.
      As an example you can find some reference measurements from some more modern bikes.

As the fork is a 41mm pre Exup one, offset is 35mm and expected trail will be around 95mm.

Then I changed wheelbase to 1500mm, because i am a bit scared the bike will get a bit too heavy on the front.

So, at this moment with a wheelbase of 1500mm , swingarm will be 455mm long (420mm standard) and i am awaiting some expert's comments...
      Last edited by Mathh; 01-04-2024, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Wow!

That is one incredible project. I can't wait to see your finished product. The design work alone is astounding.

Good luck!

John in San Antonio
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

awesome

I wish I had the resources you have there , I always enjoy looking at the pics of your bikes
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I have seen several project bikes in the making, and the research and input you do is amazing. Keep it up, and would love to see more of your work.
            '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
            1196 Big Bore
            4-1 Cowley exhaust
            750FD Conversion
            Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
            Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
            BMX footpegs
            Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
            GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
            Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Fantastic build!
              1980 XS1100G
              Tulsa, OK

Comment

Uhhhh.... Speechless
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Wow! Very Impressive
                  Dave
                  1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

That frame really does look a good deal like the Laverda! This may be a silly question but are you going to do any heat treating to equalize any stresses in the metal from the welding?

It looks awesome so far. Would love to be able to watch the process in person. Quite an education.
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

extremely extremely impressive
                      I'm jealous of such a custom build! nice job

Comment

Yeah....i WISH i could have the resources......damn. Looks good so far!!!!
                        '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                        Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                        4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                        Windjammer(wiring issues)
                        SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                        New paint/brakes to come!!
                        ===============
                        '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                        ===============
                        '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                        Stock Pilots/125 mains
                        Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                        SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                        LED Brake Lite
                        Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. I love doing projects like this... the story goes on..
                          december 9th 2009: next on the list is the swingarm. Previous days have been filled discussing several types of chain adjusters and tube size.
                          Very difficult if people don't listen. This is Q's first set up based on his own swingarm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu12.jpg Views:	9 Size:	213.2 KB ID:	876319

First mentioned was this swingarm, mostly made for streetfighters

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu72.jpg Views:	9 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	876320

Looks way too modern for me.... So we need a different style. Like the GG racer .. tube swingarm with a lower brace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu54.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	876333

Pic below shows that the swingarm has to go inward from back to front, or there will be a large gap between the arm and the tire...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091209a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	876332

Then I decided to use a 38mm tube for the swingarm and a 32mm tube for the lower brace. This is the first result. .
                          Pic shows we moved the rear axle to the middle of the adjuster getting a final wheelbase of 1500mm. In this case I can vary the wheelbase from 1460mm to 1540mm (if necessary). Second pic shows nice gap between swingarm and rear tire, still plenty of room for a 200 tire though:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091209c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	876334

First attempt at the lower brace, way too deep...

december 10th 2009:
                          I suggested to move the lower brace upwards, better but not there yet ​:

And finally Q understood and produced this:

​Comparing the shocks resulted in this, pic one is a 2009 Blade shock, pic two is a 2000 R1 unit. The blade solution looks too painful

And finally another strut to support the rear shock..

After calculating the shock position the swingarm was taken off and welded.
                          When looking at the pics the swingarm still looks very massive, but that is because there is nothing else in the pic that draws attention. When tank and seat are in position it will look less big.
                          I also love the way how the line form the lower frame tube pointing downwards is continued in the swingarm braces.. It weighs 550 grams less than calculated by Q: 5500 grams...

Last edited by Mathh; 01-04-2024, 04:01 PM. Reason: added some missing pictures

Comment

Methinks that when this is done, "Q" should be asked how much $$$$$ for a duplicate setup....

i myself have a two extra engine/trans/middle drive setups that would LOVE a cradle like that!!!!!
                            '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                            Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                            4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                            Windjammer(wiring issues)
                            SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                            New paint/brakes to come!!
                            ===============
                            '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                            ===============
                            '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                            Stock Pilots/125 mains
                            Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                            SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                            LED Brake Lite
                            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

This is the response from a guy on the UK forum:
                              "The really nice thing about this thread is how quickly we get to see the next stage."

Well, bad news then. After this episode the bike will come back to my place and speed will drop dramatically
                              However I will try to finish the bike before the next euro meeting.... :
                              Q finally picked up the pace, chromed everything and even managed to polish the front rim :

Click image for larger version  Name:	endu71.jpg Views:	52 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	876347

According to him the swingarm will weigh 6.0 kilos, the real thing weighs 5.5 kilos (I think Q's swingarm has the bearings installed):
                              And back in its place again:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091211c.jpg Views:	51 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	876349

And finally some outdoor shots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091211g.jpg Views:	51 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	876350

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091211i.jpg Views:	52 Size:	162.4 KB ID:	876351

Click image for larger version  Name:	20091211f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.5 KB ID:	876867

I will pick the bike up in two weeks. So until then..
                              Last edited by Mathh; 01-04-2024, 05:00 PM. Reason: added some missing pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X