Gas Cap Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Cap Seal Replacement

Saw a thread on this the other day and found the project bike in dire need, so after I finished it struck me to document the process. The following is what I developed.

Gas Cap Repair

I opened the cap on my project bike and saw the crustiest broken down rubber seal I have ever viewed in my life. It crumbled when I tried to brush it. So I disassembled the gas cap and soaked the crud off the parts and sanded off the rust and reassembled. Then it hit me to photo document the process. I needed the info from Fredintoon to figure out how the bloody thing came apart so I decided to save it for prosperity. Thanks Fred!! I did not fork out the money for a genuine Yamadog gas cap seal, I am way to cheap for that. So I tried Home Depot and found they had nothing to match up. I was stopping by Autozone and so I gave them what was left of the ring from the old seal and they found a thermostat seal that looked perfect!

Here is the cleaned up cap all intact, the quick eye will note the new gasket already in place.

So, first step is to remove the two screws that hold the lock mechanism, in place and take those parts out. The lock itself falls out the bottom (with the cap upside down).

This will then allow you to swing the seal and vent section up.

You can then see on the back of the seal section the E-clip that holds it in place. If your going to use the o-ring or similar type seal that I used, you are finished disassembling here unless you just want to clean it all up like I did. You can simply cut the old seal off and reinstall the new one without going any further with the disassembly. For those who want to take the gas cap apart, keep reading.

You compress the spring by pushing the seal section down to remove pressure from the e-clip and let it push out past the indent that holds it in place, then you can remove the e-clip and have the parts as shown separated.

Although not necessary for this procedure, I went ahead and removed the three screws and took the seal and vent cap apart so you can see there is a gasket behind it and under the gasket is a washer with a hole in the center and under the washer is some mesh filter material. The original seal encloses this area and keeps it pulled together with or without the springs. If you use the o-ring type seal I did, it will not keep these together and the screws must be used.

After you reassemble the seal and vent pieces you can either install the new OEM style seal that will come up from the bottom, or if you use the o-ring type seal you can go ahead and reassemble the seal and vent to the cap by reinstalling the spring and the e-clip. Some of you might have the grip of death and can compress the spring in one hand and reinstall the e-clip with the other, I cheated and use my bench vice to compress one side and channel locks on the other side to keep it compressed while I put the e-clip back in place.

Now that the cap is mostly reassembled you can install the new o-ring type seal while you can still hinge the seal vent piece up.

Now push the hinge back down and reinstall the lock mechanism..

Then the slide on top of it, followed by the latch making sure the spring is on top of the hinge piece and then reinstall the screws and you have a gas cap that is ready to seal for another 20-30 years.

In the picture is the packet from the gasket I bought, it is made by Fel-Pro with a part no of 35292.

Hope it will help someone.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Thanks DGXSER,

That part of the fiddling is coming up on my bike. However, do you think that gasket fit the standard cap?
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey, the original poster of the question here. This will immensely help me as I just fitted my Home Depot plumming gasket fitted tank cap to find that it was too thick and the hinge doesnt close.

Do you happen to have an Autozone stock number from the receipt? That is usually easier for the shop to locate an item.
      dontlikeoc
      1981 XS1100 Special Edition
      Alhambra, CA

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
        Thanks DGXSER,

That part of the fiddling is coming up on my bike. However, do you think that gasket fit the standard cap?
        Not really sure, I do not own a standard......yet.....(he says as he watches for SWMBO to not look over his shoulder..).

As for the Autozone part number, it is the same number, Just looked it up on their website using that number.
        Last edited by DGXSER; 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Excellent my man, Excellent. That is about as good as they come for instructions, photos, the lot. Good Job DGXSER
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Came back from Autozone. It fits perfectly. The hinge closed with no problem this time. Thank you so much.
            dontlikeoc
            1981 XS1100 Special Edition
            Alhambra, CA

Comment

Glad it helped you out. Learning ALOT of things bringing this old beast back to a roar.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

do you think that gasket fit the standard cap?

Don't know why I even asked... It won't cost me that much to find out. Then I will let you know for the day you pick up that standard "Parts bike".
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey everybody,
                  Is it just my old pc that's having a problem, or are the pictures Don's posted not loading? Can't see anything but the outline of the boxes for the pics...

What's up????
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                    Hey everybody,
                    Is it just my old pc that's having a problem, or are the pictures Don's posted not loading? Can't see anything but the outline of the boxes for the pics...

What's up????
                    They show for me using google chrome.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Pictures work for me (IE 8). Nice tech tip, DG.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Do you know the composition of that gasket? I mean, is it rated for fuel? Keep an eye on it and let us know how it holds up. Great tip.

Comment

You know I thought about that Randy. I am certainly not sure it will hold up. Being for a radiator it would have to have some decent chemical resistance to handle the glycol, although that is not as destructive as the petroleum.

My thought is that it should not be in contact with fuel much unless the tank is plum full or I am throwing the bike hard in the twisties. The fumes I would think would not be as destructive to it. But only time will tell for sure.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Two questions

DGXSER,

How is the durability of the seal holding up?

Anyone else,

Have you tried this on a standard yet? My bike looks a little different, but not sure if that's just the angle of the pic:
                            Last edited by draketrumpet; 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM. Reason: add image
                            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Hey Drake, I have had gas and acetone in that tank, though never filled or on any length of a ride, so its hard to say for sure. So far it holds up fine.

Looking at that gas cap, I'd say it would be the exact same as the Special I worked on, just a different shape on the "cap" you look at.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X