Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, it's not my spine, eh?

Hi Selfmade,
    seems to me you don't need any kind of a modified swingarm on a rigid frame bike.
    Just run an open shaft with 2 U-joints from the tranny to the rear end unit.
    Lace up a super-wide rim off centre from the hub so the big fat tire clears the drive shaft and build the frame's rear end with the proper offset to put the rear tire back in line with the front one. BTW, an XS650 front wire wheel to match the rear plugs right in, no mods needed.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

fredintoon,

I am talking about the middle drive spacer to move it out enough to get clearance. I already looked at the measurement for the 250 and the rim/tire sits on the drive shaft.

xs,

it is a 250 80 spoke set with a 21" x 3" using a metzler 90/90/21 front and 18" x 8.5" with a metzler 250/40/18. I may change them out to venoms as i have yet to use a metzler that i liked.

Comment

You can go 250 with the chaindrive without moving/reworking the left-side frame pivot.......But a 250 series tire, shaft-driven, you will definitely have to move the left pivot of the frame over by at least 45mm........sounds like fun.
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

not for the hardtail...

Comment

Chaindrive

Hey self, I PM'ed you my cell number. I will need a middle-drive shaft if you need a chaindrive conversion housing.....Hardtailing would open up the gates to any rear tire/rim combo...........I still would like to see an XS11 triked with a Raptor rear end and monoshock.........one day
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I am still going to try the shaft wide tire but I am just making secondary planning. I hope I can get the Shaft to work with the 250. I just need to figure out the middle gear spacer and shaft extension. I may have to extend the drive shaft too dependent on the tire being used.

Comment

right after xmas I will be starting on the tear down of the rear end to hardtail it. I will be moving forward with the stock rear wheel set up. the plan is going to be to hardtail it, stretch up 7", out maybe a few(haven't decided yet), and a harmon spirder front end with clip on style handlebars with an internal throttle and clutch. With the hardtail i will be cutting out all the swingarm bracing along with 90% of the swing arm. i will keep the driveshaft tube for some aesthetic purposes. I also will still be doing the rear cowling as shown before.

Comment

sorry I haven't posted much. I've been extremely busy at work (job #1) and haven't had much time for anything else. I was able to dig up that Royal Star Swing Arm and Drive Shaft. I'll attempt to get it boxed and ready for shipping this weekend. If you still want it, PM your address, I think I may be able to get it out on the 24th of this month.

Comment

Originally posted by selfmade View Post
                    I am still going to try the shaft wide tire but I am just making secondary planning. I hope I can get the Shaft to work with the 250. I just need to figure out the middle gear spacer and shaft extension. I may have to extend the drive shaft too dependent on the tire being used.
                    this is my setup using the FJR1300 swingarm and a 210mm rear tire on a 6" rim.

you can see that at that point I could no longer use the stock left pivot point on the frame. I left that unused and in stead i made a new pivot point between the shaft and the left side of the swingarm.
                    Some more pics:

XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

sorry.........

Forgot to ask: do you plan on keeping the original pivot points?

Comment

no actually the pivot points will be done away with altogether. I am hardtailing the rear and doing away with the swingarm.
                        Mathh: How did you accomplish moving the drive shaft out far enough to clear the tire? I see the middle gear spacer but how did you do the middle drive shaft? Did you just make a spacer and change to the fj1300 middle drive?

Brian: thanks for the help. I am looking at starting this teardown right after xmas.

Comment

with all the talk of all the rear tire clearance, i got confused. Are you guys running the wider tires maybe just offsetting the wheel to the right side? If that is the case then that is where a lot of confusion has occured. I want to retain the shaft drive but have a 200ish tire centered on the bike. If mathh's bike is centered than all I need to know is what happened in the middle gear? Did the shaft get extended? new made? nothing needed to happen?

I know xs' chain will let you center the wheel no problem.

Comment

2 questions for Math

1) what's your MD spacer width?
                            2) what's the measurement from inner pivot face to center of driveshaft?
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop,

Is there more info concerning adapting an R1 rim to the xs? I may go there with the final drive mounted. If everything works out with our supplier then i may be just doing the 250 as wanted. I was thinking of just machining a kush drive for the rim side and mounting everything up that way. If that was the case then i could make the drive shaft and the middle gear shaft whatever suited the looks of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by selfmade View Post
                                Chop,

Is there more info concerning adapting an R1 rim to the xs? I may go there with the final drive mounted. If everything works out with our supplier then i may be just doing the 250 as wanted. I was thinking of just machining a kush drive for the rim side and mounting everything up that way. If that was the case then i could make the drive shaft and the middle gear shaft whatever suited the looks of the bike.
                                Hi Selfmade.
                                Instead of the R1 wheel you could opt for the FJR1300 rear wheel, although I do not know about availability in the States. The rear disc is bigger too. This wheel already has a separate cush drive for its shaft. Styling is almost the same as R1.
                                Pic shows FJR1300 cush drive:

As for you questions:
                                - my wheels are perfectly aligned
                                - the spacer is 3 cms wide (not sure will check on that later)
                                - first solution was welding up a lengthened shaft: that broke on the fist go.
                                second solution was an adapter between shaft and engine
                                pic shown is not mine but an example:

last solution is a new longer shaft made
                                pic shows new shaft on the left, repaired welded shaft on the right:

- I will measure up the distance between pivot and shaft center this evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X