No announcement yet.

180 hardtail planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think i just got a source for the extended shaft and coupling. It can be hardened and all. Now I just need to figure out the parts I will be using and get them.

Comment

source

I know that the output shaft from an XS middle drive has the same splines as the input and can be modified up to an ungodly length.....it's in those microfiche pics in the 2 threads given.....DennyZ's pic says that the coupler shown would not work, but if pinned/welded concentrically then hardened, it would work perfect......simple yet effective
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Okay, I will need to get a RS SA, a wheel and from what a member says the fj1300 or the vmax will bolt up to the final drive, the middle gear spacer, the middle gear extended shaft and coupler, and drive shaft. Where are the parts coming from:

RS SA and shaft: maybe brian and I could work something out for his
        Wheel: ebay hopefully
        middle gear spacer: i make
        middle gear shaft and coupler: i make
        final drive: ???what final drive do i use? the Vmax, Fj1300, Royal Star, or the XS1100?????

Comment

FD choices

Sky's the limit here. You will have to go over the options in that list that BrianD posted....piece of cake.
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

will the RS SA and drive shaft work with all the final drives from yamaha? Will that final drive assembly have the same mate on all the wheels for the yamaha shaft bikes?
            I am trying to pair a different shaft and swingarm to another wheel and kushdrive while mounting it to a stock middle drive. It is getting confusing.

If brian can find and part with the RA SA and drive shaft that part of the equation is done.

Next part is
            1. What final drive will work with the Vmax or FJR1300 rim and still bolt to the RS SA? Will the rim and tire from either bike fit in the RS Sa?

Comment

Originally posted by selfmade View Post
              will the RS SA and drive shaft work with all the final drives from yamaha? Will that final drive assembly have the same mate on all the wheels for the yamaha shaft bikes?
              If brian can find and part with the RA SA and drive shaft that part of the equation is done.
              The ONLY final drives that will not mate to the RS shaft is the V Star 650 FD and the Virago 535 (if I remember correctly) - its in the link posted. Of course there *could* be other hurdles to overcome....ie. shock mount, swing arm mount....

As to the FD to rim mating....can't say for certain but I believe all Yamaha FDs will mate to all Yamaha shaft drive bikes. The only other requirement would be the offset. I can check tonight when I get home from work to at least confirm mating between the V Star 1100 rim and XS1100 FD (and vise versa). I can say that the XJ750 FD is an exact match to the XS1100 rim.

Finally, I'm sure that we can reach a gentlemen's agreement regarding the RS SA and shaft this evening

Comment

sounds good brian. thank you and chop for taking so much time to help the project. It may not seem like much but i am learning every minute of this build.

Comment

Wheel choices

Also mulled over before was the fact that an FJR1300 drive hub could be mated and modified to fit the R1 3 or 5-spokes for more possibilities/offsets.....I 2nd what BrianD said about the FD's and drive hubs on Yamaha Shafties.....5-spoke R1's can take a 190mm no problem and the R1 front rims can be mounted to older forks by changing the bearings too.......
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I just had long and very informative conversation with brianD. Thank you for the time.

So I have narrowed the rim selection down to a first choice of VMax and second choice of FJR1300. So this leaves the question of will the VMax rim and a 200mm tire fit in the RS SA? Brian seems to think so. Will the rotor and caliper be able to be used off of the 11? Does it have the same bolt pattern? It seems that the Vmax rim/hub will accept the xs11 rim side FD.

For final drive I plan to start out with the stock 11 and hopefully acquire a VMax and a 750 at later dates to see if there is a difference in setup for acceleration and top end.

For swing arm I hope to use the royal star as well as its drive shaft.

Now the only things left to figure out would be the middle drive spacer, the yoke coupling, and the middle gear output shaft.

Does this sound like a pretty sound plan so far? Can you help figure out the middle gear situation?
                    Last edited by selfmade; 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

2nd try at reply

dang.....darn forum "automatically" logged me off and lost my reply....

selfmade,
                      I did some more checking today and the XS11 rotor WILL NOT bolt to the V Star 1100 rim, so I doubt that it will bolt to the V Max or FJR rim (now I remember why I've been periodically checking ebay for a V Star 1100 rear rotor and caliper ) For my project, the rotor and caliper will be close to the end of the (slow) build as they should not affect the rim/tire centering or drivetrain spacing.

Also, if you haven't found it yet, Yamaha has an excellent Parts Catalog for just about every Yamaha sold in the US. Just plug in the year and model then go to the exploded view for the appropriate assembly.

Comment

thanks brian.

Comment

Yamaha Options almost endless

The FJR1300 rear wheel is hard to get ahold of......
                          The R1 rear wheel is not.........
                          What's unique about the FJR rear wheel is that it has a driven hub (like xs11)
                          and a cush drive like the R1 rear wheel........
                          So you can get the FJR drive hub and mate it to the R1 rear cush drive......
                          Or you can be a cheap-ass and use your welding skills, take an XS11 drive hub, remove the 6 bolts with a peen-hammer and weld 6 cush drive rudders to go into the R1 cush drive rubbers........then you have an endless supply of Yami rear wheels to slober over........That's option 1.....(too easy)
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I am at the point now where I am getting the new garage insulated and paneled and organized before i start teardown. Once I start I figure I will be able to see the assembly more clearly and this may be the best option yet.

Comment

so i found that rc components makes an 18" rear rim for the royal star. That gives me some good leads into completely upgrading the rear end. If I can figure out the spacer and shaft issue with the center drive I believe that I will be able to fit a 250 18" rim in back. I already have the rims for the front and back. Now i just need to tear the rear apart.

Comment

Spoking

Are we talking spoked 18" Rim? That would be very cool looking....and meaty too...
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X