180 hardtail planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 hardtail planning

Just throwing out some planning for the XS I am building. Plans have changed with this bike from the time i bought it til now. If we, myself and 2 other members here, can figure out the rear end area then I will move forward with this plan. I want to put a 180 to 200 mm tire and rim combo on the xs while still retaining the drive shaft. Not offense to xschop but I want to stay with the shaft. I will be hardtailing it and converting it to a single downtube and backbone. I am thinking of going Jesse James saltflats bike with this (http://www.cyclerides.com/photos/bik...-3/image37.htm ). Any helpful input would be appreciated. I am building this bike for me so if you are going to post about not cutting it up or the hardtail please do not post unless it concerns structural integrity.

No offense

I will be glad to join in the convo.....Hopefully Member BrianD will chime in on his Knowledge too. I know that the Royal star swingarm would be the ticket for a swingarm donor........can't wait to see the Final Results......Chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

guess I should really get to work on my project bike.....have a V Star 650 swing arm that looks like it could adapt easily enough between the pivots. will be using the V Star 1100 shaft and final drive (note the final drive is 2.9:1 so may not be your choice). since you are hardtailing, could weld the swingarm in place - no need for the mono-shock. don't recall the stock tire size of the V Star....thinking it is a 170. never investigated the max tire size for the V Star rim or what could be squeezed into the s/a

food for thought anyway

Comment

haahaa...just shows that I am that darn slow.

I do have a Royal Star s/a (and shaft I think) that I could donate for the cost of shipping and the right cause - I will not be using it.

Comment

fat tire

I would definitely like to see this project come to fruition myself. I am not a fan of riding on 2 wheels without rear suspension to protect my lower vertebrae and upper thoracics, but I'm not riding it, so let the chopping begin.....

Originally posted by Brian_D View Post
          haahaa...just shows that I am that darn slow.

I do have a Royal Star s/a (and shaft I think) that I could donate for the cost of shipping and the right cause - I will not be using it.
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

remember there will be the soft ride under the seat...So were does the xs mod begin? is there anything i can start to measure? does the royalstar have the same front shaft splines? no need to worry about sa width as the sa pivot will not be in the wayon the xs
            Last edited by selfmade; 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

i see that rc components makes aftermarket wheels for the royal star so that got me to thinking: Can we machine a kush drive plate for regular wheels and make a spacer to accommodate the tranny output to match the new offset? i need to tear my drive down to see what pieces it is made of. Maybe that would make things easy on everyone wanting new rims. I can make or modify the sa and then add the rim and spacer and you have everything...or is it just a dream to think

Comment

selfmade, I got your pm and replied. I can try to pass as much info as possible....

I was originally wanting to extend the swingarm so I could move the seat pan rearward a few inches - need extra leg room and all. Anyway, chop provided some baseline info and suggested the royal star swingarm (and yes, the royal star driveshaft front and rear splines are a perfect mate to the XS11 yoke and final drive).

While playing the waiting game for parts on ebay, I won a V Star 650 swingarm for peanuts. When it showed up, I found that it would give me almost 6" of stretch AND (possibly) mate to the XS11 pivot points with little to no modification.....so the Royal Star swingarm was scrapped for a V Star rear end.

Will do some digging. I think most of the measurements for the Royal Star (and V Star) swingarm can be found in a few posts under the Other Bike Discussion section. Otherwise, still have all the parts here and can re-measure.

Comment

Ok so the royal start shaft matches and the swingarm needs little tlc but it will fit? So the big question on my part is tire width. what is the biggest tire you an fit. I looked up specs and can not find rim width to see what tires will fit. if it fits a 170 regularly i would think that a 180 would be no problem. Now here is an issue i did see with the royal star, it only has a 15" rim which may limit the tire selection also. After market rims are available from rc components, in an 18 i believe, but i am sure they want 2000.00 per set.

So we are left with the spacing from the tranny to the middle drive to get a wider tire on right now. What is involved with the spacing details? Do you have to make extended shafts replace bearings or just add a spacer ring between the two?

Comment

spacing

To space out the Middle Drive for the wider Royal Star swingarm, you will need to machine a spacer to go between the MD and engine case....

IIRC right at 25mm, because the RS swingarm was 25mm wider than the XS swingarm. Then you just need to design another 25mm spacer that locks onto the end of the stock MD shaft and inserts into the intermediate drive in the engine case.....

This would be easier than trying to modify the intermediate drive which requires splitting the case......
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

fat tire shafty....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...e+drive+spacer
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...e+drive+spacer
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

k...here is the link that the choping guru started on the Royal star Swingarm Has lots of info and measurements.

here is a post on the Yamaha Final (shaft) Drives that may be of some help.

Comment

hahahaha......day late and dollar short again. thx chop

Comment

...anything ever come of this extended shaft?

Ok some specs of the frame will be:

Single 1.75" downtube with lighted holes
                            Single 1.75" backbone
                            Single bend upper wishbones
                            single bend downtube connection angled back to a compound bend for the lower wishbones
                            Custom nonadjustable hidden axle housing
                            Single seat post with rectangular crossbrace.
                            37* rake with a harman style spirder for frontend
                            clip ons
                            a harley quarter visor and fairing from a dyna to conceal the headlight, triple trees, and digital tach and speedo
                            the rear will look cafesq another words refer to the picture for the idea and then go from there with my modifications

I will be doing the measuring and fullsize blueprint tonight now that i have the tank template done. The tank will mount under the downtube sitting 2" above the engine in front and 1" above in the rear.
                            Last edited by selfmade; 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM.

Comment

one of the best things is I already subscribed to all those threads at about 7:00 this morning

Comment

Working...
                              X