plugging the yics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airflow

Another concern maybe Tod or another guru knows from messing with the YICS, the tool has a larger diameter where the rubber is than the shaft that is inserted, every 4 inches or so. Is there air flowing around the shaft? If a solid rod of same diameter is inserted into the YICS hole does that cut off more than the YICS opening for each valve inlet ? Is there a disruption to the air in the carb inlet circuit? Or will the solid, same diameter rod have no effect on inlet air other than blocking off the YICS valve inlet air????? Wondering in S. Diego,,,,Mike
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

The rubber parts on the YICS tool are all that is needed to separate the carbs from each other so that they can be synchronized. A solid rod should do the same thing except that it can be left in the engine.

The last time that I synchronized the carbs I removed the YICS tool before I disconnected the gauges, to see if there was a difference in the readings. The only change was that the inner two cylinders had slightly less vacuum than the outer two; both 1 and 4 were the same and 2, 3 were about an inch less. Based on that, I would expect about the same with the solid rod installed.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Well the rod that I have had to be turned down to .387 inches, that is the largest diameter that will fit into the port on my XJ. It just barley slides into the port yet it will still come out. It isn't an absolute seal between carbs but it's very close. I wouldn't think that .003 of an inch would let much happen between the carbs. The rod appears to be a hard steel of some type, it was one of the guide rods that supports the print head in a printer. I have it ready to test but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Larry

82 XJ1100
        64 Yamaha YA-6
        77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!

The tests are complete... There was no change in the gauge readings or the idle speed, between the YICS tool and the solid steel rod.

"The YICS Eliminator" as I like to call it, is definitely the simplest way to disable or eliminate the YICS system. Not only does it work, it works better than the YICS tool. It’s much easier to use than the YICS tool, and now you can get an accurate plug reading on a bike that has the YICS system. It’s the ultimate YICS tuning tool.

The dimensions of the YICS Eliminator are .387 inches in diameter and 14.3 inches in length. I allowed .075 inches for expansion in the length. I drilled and tapped the outer end so that I can remove the plug using a 3x10-32 bolt threaded into the end of it. This is what has worked for my XJ1100, the length and diameter of "The YICS Eliminator" may need to be changed for your motorcycle.

Larry

82 XJ1100
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

Pretty awesome! I'm gonna have to build one for my friend's XJ. Nice work!
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Wow Great Job!

I like this YICS Eliminator rod ideaHow does it stay in the ports?Is the diameter thick enough that it fits snug?Or is it somehow affixed so that it cant come out under normal operating conditions?
              Last edited by madmax-im; 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

As the engine gets hot, the aluminum (YICS Tube) is going to expand faster than the steel rod. I can see it dampening the sharing of the carbs, but not eliminating. Plus.. I imagine that you will wonder where that rattle is coming from whenever you hit a bump??

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

congrats Yahman,,,,pics??

You the man "Yahman" I figured some xs'ive would try out something that worked. I would probably crack the head with some weird metal expansion. Anyway,,,,there are dimensions,,,,could use Yics people see a few pics and you could also include jumping up and down with your new Yics bypass tool! Maybe write Yamaha and tell them their overpriced tool could be made for almost nothing......Congrats again, and if you want to sell a bunch, I am sure a lot of Yics people would love it. There are also thousands of xj550,650, 750's with the same Yics, 4 banger setup that your tool would fit also,,,since Yamaha uses the same Yics tool for all of them. A new Ebay item has arrived. Of course, give us a long term report that everything is ok,,,Congrats, again,,,,Mike in S.Diego
                  mike
                  1982 xj1100 maxim
                  1981 venture bagger
                  1959 wife

Comment

This YICS eliminator tool is a great idea. It only needs to work long enough to do a snyc job, then it can come back out so there is no possibility of expansion messing things up. Once the isolated carbs are sync'd, you can take it back out and get whatever bit of performance advantage the YICS was engineered to provide.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                      This YICS eliminator tool is a great idea. It only needs to work long enough to do a snyc job, then it can come back out so there is no possibility of expansion messing things up. Once the isolated carbs are sync'd, you can take it back out and get whatever bit of performance advantage the YICS was engineered to provide.
                      Excellent point...no need to keep it in there all the time
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good point Ken

Good point Ken,,,no sense leaving it in if it isn't necessary. Either way, its a lot simpler and cheaper than the Yamaha part or building one, if Yahman mass produces his invention. I built the homemade one and it tore up pieces of the rubber and was difficult to shove in and seal correctly, even though it worked. The Yahman solid rod concept sounds bulletproof. SO, Yahman, how bout the mass production??? Or what source of printer rod did you use??? SOme Pics of the Yahman invention????

Mike in S.Diego
                        mike
                        1982 xj1100 maxim
                        1981 venture bagger
                        1959 wife

Comment

madmax-im: Once the rod is installed you reinstall the blind plug and torque it to 16 ft-lb.

trbig: True, the coefficient of thermal expansion for the steel rod is approximately half that of the YICS tube. However the increase in clearance between the rod and tube is only about .0015 inches. True it isn't a total elimination but .006 to .008 inches is a very small gap for air to flow, especially given the distance between ports. I didn't need to allow the .075 inches for the expansion in length of the rod, but as this was an experiment, I was somewhat cautious. Also as Ken Talbot said "It only needs to work long enough to do a snyc job, then it can come back out so there is no possibility of expansion messing things up." I think that I will put a small piece of thin copper between the end of the rod and the blind plug to keep it from moving. I used what I had on hand, if I were to make them to sell, they would definitely be made out of aluminum.

soccer4m: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I had been thinking about this for some time now, I just hadn't made one to try until now. Guess I needed a little push. I am going to look into making these, however while these are simple in appearance, their size is not standard. The cost to machine them may be prohibitive; it has killed some of my better ideas in the past.

Ken Talbot: I'm going to leave it installed for a full tank of fuel and record the mileage. I will then remove the rod, refuel and adjust to the same idle speed, leaving everything else the same. Once I have burned through the second tank, I can compare mileage to see if there is any difference. Should be interesting to see if there is any change in the performance too.

Photos are on the way…

Larry

82 XJ1100
                          64 Yamaha YA-6
                          77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

This is the YICS tool that I used before the eliminator, it's one that I made.

This is "The YICS Eliminator" with the installation bolt.

This is "The YICS Eliminator" with the installation bolt, ready to be installed into the YICS port tube.

I have decided to use a small piece of high temp silicon rubber placed between the rod and the blind plug to dampen the eliminator from any vibration or movement.

The testing continues...

Larry

82 XJ1100
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

OK I’m sold… The YICS Eliminator ROCKS!!!

The YICS system is dead to me…

My XJ1100 is always very consistent in how it runs, so I really didn’t expect much to change in the way it ran with the Eliminator installed. I also wanted to give the Eliminator a ride test starting from a cold start. It’s a whole new bike, it is so different. I never had any complaints about my XJ, but somehow it’s better. I didn’t think I could love her anymore but now I do! It’s that big of a change.

First thing that I noticed was the change in the choke. It needed less of it for a shorter period of time. It also didn’t idle up as high as before the Eliminator, but yet it ran stronger.

The second thing I noticed was the change in the bottom end. There’s more grunt to it, the thing is like a tractor now and it sounds throatier too.

Third thing is the change in throttle transition, now there is a smoothness when coming off the throttle. Before it was more sensitive to rolling off the throttle than it is now, kind of like an on off switch.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s mechanically quieter also. My XJ1100 is definitely much better with The YICS Eliminator! I am totally surprised, I thought the YICS system was superior technology but now I don’t know.

The testing continues…

Larry

82 XJ1100
                              64 Yamaha YA-6
                              77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

I want one

If you ever get to production of these add me to the list
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X