plugging the yics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plugging the yics

Been seeing an interest in people wanting to plug up the p.i.t.a. yics system. Has anyone come up with a way without pulling the head? Maybe a long shaft the same size as the hole, and the right diameter to slide in? I know some members, have pulled the head but I have a fear of screwing something up that way,,,,I have an Xj1100 and an xj550 with the yics. Both Yics are a pita to get the carbs synched perfect. So,,,any working ideas without pulling the head and plugging the holes are more than welcome to all. Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

But ain't a long shaft the same size of the hole and the right diameter to slide in, the YICS tool anyway? Once you've got that, ain't the problem of carb balancing sorted?

Comment

Do a search for YICS tool. You can make one from common hardware.

Try this link

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=436
      Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Comment

yics tool

I think leaving in the YICS tool would cut off some of the air flow passages along with the YICS ports. Also, the Homemade tool has rubber parts that would fry inside the engine. I was thinking a solid rod of some kind????? Anyone have ideas that could work to have something inserted permanently to cut off the YICS and still allow airflow to all the other nonport areas???? Mike
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1959 wife

Comment

Its been done before

Hey Mike...I'm sure more than a few here have done this.Personally I have not...but if you do a search I'm sure you'll find plenty on this..
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

maybe its possible

Hi Madmax,,,,,I wish someone had done it without pulling the head, but I searched the archives and nada. SO, anyone know how to do it without pulling the head let us YICS people know how to do it????? Mike
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1959 wife

Comment

It would be fairly permanent since cleaning it out later would be a major PITA, but get a big tube of silicone and a caulking gun and a clear plastic hose that will reach the back (Right side) of the YICS tube, and fill it up as you back the hose out slowly. The silicone will withstand the temps the back of your head gets. The actual YICS port is a tiny opening right in front of the intake valve seat. I don't think there would be any way to force that silicone all the way into the head to mess with that, but it might get up into the head a bit and make it tough to disassemble the head from the cylinders at a later date.

This blocks the tube that interconnects your ports in the head to each other and would let them be individualized that way. If you did much searching, you may have found where I plugged mine with the head off. At a later date, I could open these ports back up... but it would be for a nitrous installation, not to let the YICS become operable again. Maybe someday when I hit the lottery... course I have to buy a ticket first, right??

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I only semi-sorta-kinda know what YICS is. Can someone elaborate on what this is and how it works (or is supposed to work)?
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

The YICS (Yamaha Induction Control System) consists of a tube attached to the cylinders that run along the back side of the motor with four holes that align with holes in the head...

Here's the head upside down..

If you look into one of these holes in the head, there is an orifice at the top that leads to a hole directly in front of the intake valve seat.

This is (I assume) to help equalize the carbs for a longer period. You could have one fairly bad adjusted carb being helped out and drawing from the others. It was to help pass emissions at the time. That's why you have to use a tool to plug off this passage, so you know you are adjusting a particular carb.

I tapped and threaded the ports in the head and installed some allen head plugs with teflon tape. (Shown with the black arrow) I also have some '78 cylinders on the bike, so there's no YICS tube to mate to these openings.. leaving them somewhat exposed past the fins for some future experimentation maybe!! *Evil grin...

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: maybe its possible

Originally posted by soccer4m
                    Hi Madmax,,,,,I wish someone had done it without pulling the head, but I searched the archives and nada. SO, anyone know how to do it without pulling the head let us YICS people know how to do it????? Mike
                    I was thinking about this the other day... The YICS port seems to be machined in such a way, that you could just insert a steel or aluminum rod that is the right diameter to be a close fit. It would be installed with the engine hot, then just put the cap bolt back in place. It might not want to come back out in the future though.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

After measuring the port on my XJ it would appear to be a 10mm bore, that would be the max diameter for the rod. A 25/64" drill fits snugly (.003" to spare) when the motor is cold. Take a 10mm aluminum rod cut to the right length and put it in the freezer. Bring the motor up to operating temperature and insert the rod into the port. Once the temps have equalized it would be almost permanent.

Larry

82 XJ1100
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

somebody try it

Hope somebody tries the silicon injection or the rod insertion and let us know how it works. Maybe one of them is an easy fix for the Yics, Mike
                        mike
                        1982 xj1100 maxim
                        1981 venture bagger
                        1959 wife

Comment

Wouldn't that be the same as connecting all four vacuum ports with a few hoses and Ts?
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Wouldn't that be the same as connecting all four vacuum ports with a few hoses and Ts?
                            Almost the same but not quite.

Well in my pile of odd and ends I found a guide rod from a printer or a scanner (note sure which one) that is just under 10mm (.392") and it will just barely slide into the YICS port with the engine cold. I will first need to clean the port out real good.

It looks like the port length is about 14 3/8 inches. I will drill and tap the end of the rod so that it can hopefuly be removed again with a slide hammer.

This would give me a way to plug, tune, syncronize and most importantly get a good plug reading. Then when it is right I can return the YICS system to its normal function. It would be a nice way to compare the difference between having the system working and when it is plugged.

Wish me luck...
                            Larry

82 XJ1100
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

YAHMAN can do it!

Hey Yahman,,,,hope this works for you with the plug insertion. Let us know the results and long term report. WHat type of metal are you using? The same as the head, Aluminum? Maybe you could report on the synch before and after the plug and YICS tool to see if they match......All us YICS owners are waiting and hoping it works,,,,maybe You can start a YICS insertion tool business if it works well,,,,,,,,regards, Mike
                              mike
                              1982 xj1100 maxim
                              1981 venture bagger
                              1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                              X