• Show
Clear All

Hi Chop,

I'll sort it out later.......

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

R1 confirmation

just got off the phone with a Cali breaker....04-05-06 R1 swingarm is 10.5 inches at the pivots, 23 inches pivot to axle and is under-braced so stock xs11 shock tabs can be added anywhere on top.....unlike hillary or Obama, it gets my vote, chop
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: R1 confirmation

Originally posted by xschop
        just got off the phone with a Cali breaker....04-05-06 R1 swingarm is 10.5 inches at the pivots, 23 inches pivot to axle and is under-braced so stock xs11 shock tabs can be added anywhere on top.....unlike hillary or Obama, it gets my vote, chop
        So with this R1 swing arm are the swing arm pins of the XS11 still used in the same fashion as the stock set up? Is it known if different swing arm bearing will be required?
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: Re: R1 confirmation

Originally posted by 79XS11F

So with this R1 swing arm are the swing arm pins of the XS11 still used in the same fashion as the stock set up? Is it known if different swing arm bearing will be required?
          Rob
          The R1 swingarm's bolt should be standard 25mm Dia. Like my Triumph's swingarm. This 25mm dia. shaft has 17mm holes at the ends to recieve the xs11's pivot bolts.....spacers are figured for different swingarms...

MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

In that PIC am i looking at a solid through bolt that would go completely through the swing arm?
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

exactly

solid 25mm dia. and the rod can be bought by the foot at metal supermarkets( $35). The spacer system I designed to hold the swingarm steady is two piece for mine and can be adapted for other swingarms that have diff. pivot widths....
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

OK .. so instead of pins your going with a long bolt that threads in at the left hand side where the pin used to go? If so what did you do on the right hand side? Spacing will be done with shims with 25 mm ID?
                Any input on a belt drive instead of a chain?
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

xs11 pivot bolts are used

This 25mm dia. shaft has 17mm holes machined at the ends to recieve the xs11's pivot bolts (17mm end studs)
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

belt drive

I will have to design a belt sprocket for the front, that is a later project....
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

diagram of mod design

This will work for any swingarm that has a 25mm factory through bolt....The whole key is to have about 1/8 to 3/16 inch space between the INSIDE contact points of the Pinch Spacer and Pivot shaft. this ensures that the swingarm is locked steady in place when the stock xs11 pivot bolts are screwed in....

MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Like I said, xschop...
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Taking a Bow

Thank you Ken. Diagram is CORRECT now!
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

SKIDS, SCAPPOD

Clean out your mailboxes already!
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Got R Dun

'Busa front end finished, minus Rotors because ebay people are so truthfull about the condition of their products.I am having to turn one one a lathe to true it up a bit. But seriously This was a straight-forward swap. I CORRECT MYSELF, YOU NOT ONLY NEED A CUSTOM 30X47 TOP STEERING BEARING, BUT ALSO A 30MM I.D.X 12MM SPACER TO MAKE UP FOR THE LONGER STEERING STEM.If you have 9 or 10 middle drive guts in a box like I do, then you have about 20 to spare. It is the spacer directly below the two lock nuts here.Other than that, this is a simple bolt-on. Even the stock xs11 ignition switch bolts right up into location!

I took care of the handle-bar clearance to the tank by making 2.25" spacers. The Hayabusa tree has rubber mounts that eliminate vibration, although I never had any on this XS.

An Odyssey PC 545 battery works perfect, this one sits right between the XS11 rear hanger perfectly, And Cranks Like a mother Too!

To make things easy (well nothing's easy) I cut the stock XS11 battery box in half, keeping the right side stock and electronics will be in stock location, so the monoshock passes nicely throughout is range of motion...tried the best shot to show

Hopefully better shot than before. As a heads up to the guys doing the chain-drive, once you get your swingarm figured, I found that if you put this beast on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel (tranny in neutral) the front sprocket will align itself perfectly and you can take a caliper and measure the spacer thicknesses you will need. I got 30 I.D. spacers from ACE Hardware for about $3...easy enuf.

Here's how she looks up front

And My Final Overall Look
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I love the front end swap. NICE work. would it be possible to keep the xs rim in this setup? I don't ever plan to go chain and don't want mix and match wheels.
                                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X