XS Block With Sleeves Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS Block With Sleeves Removed

I previously stated that I had bought a spare cylinder block from Andreas for use as a proto-type to determine how big a bore the XS block would accomodate and still be streetable. I have removed the stock sleeves and the bare block is on the way to Advanced sleeves in Ohio for machining and installation of 3.275 O.D. sleeves that will accomodate 78 mm pistons which will fetch 1311cc's. This bore size will still leave a wall thickness of .102 which is ample for a street bike. With this sleeve you could go to a 79 mm bore but that would leave the sleeves at only .0825 thick, too thin for me. You could (might) go to the next larger sleeve which has an O.D. of 3.42 however with that one you would be unable to use the stock "O" rings at the bottom of the sleeves which could cause an oil control problem in a street bike. The 3.42 sleeve would also require a case clean up which requires disassembly of the bottom end and I don't want to go through that again, at least not now. In a drag race only application the 3.42 sleeve would work but for a street bike it would ultimately seep/weep oil. For my application, the 3.275 O.D. sleeve will work out nicely. Last winter as some of you know I put a Wiseco 1179 kit in my Special and wish now I had gone the after market sleeve route but at time I had been told that the XS block would not accomodate larger replacement sleeves however that information was bogus. I had also been told by Yamaha tech in California and by the Yamaha dealer in St. Louis that the stock sleeves could only be removed by boring them out but that was also bogus as 45 minutes in an oven @ 450 degrees was all it took for them to slide out on their own just like my old FJ. Of course a 78 mm bore requires custom pistons and a one off head gasket but Wiseco, J&E and some others will make anything you want. I'm actually more than a little surprised that the stock XS block will accomodate these larger sleeves because of all the misinformation I have gotten regarding this modification however I shouldn't be as the XS was over engineered form the git go. The most diffulcult part of this whole deal will be making myself a base gasket but then again I might be able to trim up a stock one to make it fit, I can only hope. Thirteen hundred and eleven cc's, sounds good to me.
    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Wow, Dan...you never cease to amaze me. I am absolutely BEGGING you to deliver some Dyno results on this soon to beast!
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Dan,

If this is going into your recent 1179 engine, I'm sure there are some folks on here that would be willing to take your 1179 kit parts off your hands. And folks can get the required head gasket and new rings from Cometic/Wiseco as needed. You would be the one to tell whether it's okay to use the wrist pins that come with the kit vs. getting new ones?? Looking forward to seeing the finalized project, and a list of any other mods added to this, like cams and such!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have one cylinder block in the parts pile with or without stock pistons and rings if anybody needs one. Off a 81 sh xs1100. Could be used as is needs no repair, piston and rings have plenty of life left. andreas

Comment

Base gaskets are easy... I make mine all the time. The only one I don't make is the head gasket for obvious reasons. Just remember that the little thin metal strip that you see there on the bottom in the cam chain galley doesn't have to be incorporated into the gasket. Just cut out the gasket like it's not even there.

I too found out that the sleeves will come right out... it's just that I hadn't wanted them to! lol. I was trying to bake some high temp paint on my cylinders. I set them down in the oven resting on the bottom of the sleeves. After a while I heard a CRASH!! and went and saw all the sleeves had popped out and the block was laying on the oven grill.

Tod
          Last edited by trbig; 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Another thing I would like to know is how much it costs to get the custom sleeves and pistons.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Cost

Originally posted by 81xsproject
              Another thing I would like to know is how much it costs to get the custom sleeves and pistons.
              The block and sleeve work at Advanced Sleeves on a one of a kind deal like mine is strictly done on a cost of the time it takes to do the work. It cost $200.00 to bore and hone my present block for the 74 mm Wiseco pistons in my 1179 combination but I have no idea what this custom combination will be and I didn't press Mike for a price. Custom one off size pistons are about $50.00 per piston more than the off the shelve models if you get them from Wiseco.

Comment

Gaskets

Originally posted by trbig
                Base gaskets are easy... I make mine all the time. The only one I don't make is the head gasket for obvious reasons. Just remember that the little thin metal strip that you see there on the bottom in the cam chain galley doesn't have to be incorporated into the gasket. Just cut out the gasket like it's not even there.

I too found out that the sleeves will come right out... it's just that I hadn't wanted them to! lol. I was trying to bake some high temp paint on my cylinders. I set them down in the oven resting on the bottom of the sleeves. After a while I heard a CRASH!! and went and saw all the sleeves had popped out and the block was laying on the oven grill.

Tod
                My sleeves came out pretty much the same way but Donelson told me again today that they have seen some that have to be bored out but I'm not sure. I have half a dozen new stock base gaskets and the cylinder hole measures about 3 1/4 inches and so I'm sure I can trim it a little and make it fit.

Comment

Too Much Time On My Hands

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                  Hey Dan,

If this is going into your recent 1179 engine, I'm sure there are some folks on here that would be willing to take your 1179 kit parts off your hands. And folks can get the required head gasket and new rings from Cometic/Wiseco as needed. You would be the one to tell whether it's okay to use the wrist pins that come with the kit vs. getting new ones?? Looking forward to seeing the finalized project, and a list of any other mods added to this, like cams and such!?
                  T.C.
                  The 1179 block and piston combo is not for sale however I will be using the same Mega-Cycle cams I'm using in the 1179 but with a different intake center line setting in the larger motor. Last winter I posted some pictures of the head which went onto the 1179 which was ported by Patrick Racing and I will be using this same head again. Basically the 1311 will be the same deal as the 1179 but with more cubic inches and compression. The new clutch with the stiffer springs seems to work well and as soon as I get some decent weather I'll take it back to Widman for another dyno deal. I should have known better than to use that spook oil (synthetic) but you learn from your mistakes and all is well that ends well.

Comment

Dan,

If you have not gotten all your parts assembled yet, how about a picture of everything laid out and ready for assembly.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Looking at the Wiseco site, I notice the FJ1200 big bore kit uses a 78mm piston. Any chance it might work?
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Other than the size of the wrist pins, what else would need to be the same?
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Other than

Maybe piston height,
                          center of rist pin to top of dome?

Comment

Cut-outs for the valves?........ FJ is a four-valve.........

AlanB
                            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Increased Compression?

Dan, something I thought of last night. If the displacement is goiing up to 1311 and it is all done in the cylinders, will this not raise the compression ratio up in the neighborhood of 11:1? Or, are you compensating for some of this with your piston/deck height?

What other things must you do to take advantage of the increased compression?
                              Mike Giroir
                              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                              X