No announcement yet.

Final Drive Transplant _ Kudos 2 Chop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the big deal about buying a new vent for the FD?

They have them in stock at Speed and Sport and they aren't expensive... $8.54

Here's the part #: 2H7-17590-00-00

Here's the link to Speed and Sport: http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl

Comment

• Over 6500 miles

Well, I finally pulled the 750 Final drive today and inspected everything. After close to 7000 miles on this Final Drive Mod, The splines all look perfect and I shot the Moly grease out of the middle drive splines with carb cleaner and the RTV on the large washer was in Xselent Shape, locknut was secure and the input coupling spun just like when I put it on.Also not a nick in the $0.29 copper coupler. And lastly, I drained out the gear oil and was still Honey.....XXXselent....I am temporarily removing it only so I can R&D my new chaindrive and swingarm. As you may have guessed by now, Pepe (formally bluestreak) is an XS11 guinea pig for mods....So if you have the 750/850 Final drive on your '11, ride in peace....chop
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• CHOP

thanks for the good report. I've talked to several fellas that have had similar reports. After several thousand miles they've had no problems.

I must have gotten a bad drive when mine chipped ring tooth. But in the next 12 days I will put more miles on my 850 drive than you've put on yours in 12 months. I'll be riding mine to Oregon and back.

Thanks again bro.

Cg

Comment

• wow

Man, I thought I rode my bike alot this last year. Got me beat.Ride safe and take plenty of pics......Maybe an all out Mpg talley for all the miles you will put on it.......chop
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Hmmm...not a bad idea. When we rode to TeXSive and Big Bend National Park....I would say I averaged 35 - 36 mpg and my speed was 85-90 mph most of that trip.

Not bad fuel economy for a full dressed an loaded down Eleven. Especially considering it weighs almost 800 lbs fully loaded with gear and fuel (main and aux)...not includng my 190 lbs!

However that was a mere 2500 mile trip. The upcoming venture will almost triple that.

I'll try to remember to bring a little log book for all my mileages.

Thanks Chop! And I say this for everyone here at Channel Eleven...thanks for figuring out one of the coolest most practical mods for the mighty XS!

Maxi
            Last edited by MAXIMAN; 08-26-2007, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• I did my change to a 750 FD a few months ago. Drove it around a bit, worked fine, it is so quiet now I can hear the radio at 90+. I made a gasket to close the holes, my RTV was dried out, and did not want to go out on Sunday to get more. The gasket is holding fine. No leaks. I made a steel spacer on my lathe, 11/16 long, instead of the copper. Before the mod was getting as much as 38 MPG driving the speed limit. Finally checked out new mileage, many short trips of 10 miles or less, 55 to 70 MPH, and was shocked to find that I got 44.7 MPG. With a steady speed and a long trip, 46-47 seems within reach. I am very thankfull to those who pioneered this modification. I still have tremendous power, just have to feather the clutch a bit more, but I need some fine tuning in the carb department. I am betting this will pull the sidecar just fine. This is by far the best mod that has come along. Even better than TCs sofa, which is also a wonderful, trouble free mod. This winter, I will work on a chev alternator for the XS11, and document every move I make on this. Thanx, guys, wonderful work, and thanx for sharing.
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

• Just looking for updates from people and hoping the images could get fixed or maybe a complete writeup on this?

Or did I miss it somewhere else
                79 xs1100sf
                79 firebird
                85 f250 truggy

Comment

• I love mine, and I'll never go back. Both Wildkat's and mine have ben done. Many other members have done it, and I haven't heard any complaints. The Bag Lady is waiting for the transplant now. I have the parts, but just ain't found the time. The pic's were linked to a pic hosting site, and they were removed by Maximan. If you read the procedure over a couple of times, you'll realize that is a very easy job. The hardest part is getting the driveshaft back into the U joint.

Comment

• Hey 7911Special,

IF you'll look at the TOP of that tech tip, I posted a NOTE about going to the BETA site, the photos were saved and imported into the copied tips on that site, so they ARE STILL available to see, just didn't bother fixing them on THIS site since we are EVENTUALLY going to get it transfered to the NEW version!!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Ahh thanks...I didn't check the Tech forum.
                      79 xs1100sf
                      79 firebird
                      85 f250 truggy

Comment

• I am getting ready to do this mod, received my xs 850 fd last week. Only about $34.00 with shipping, make an offer on eBay....

Will take photos as I go.

To summarize, take out the 850 fd coupler / pinion, block the oil holes, reasemble. Modify the drive shaft with the spacer and re-install. Bolt the 850 fd on in place of the 11's fd. Correct? (Details in beginning of this thread.)
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• That's all you need to do, Jerry. I waited longer for the paint to dry than it took to modify everything. The ONLY hard part is getting the drive shaft started into the yoke from the middle gear. Mine was a PITA, but I did get it finally.
                          Buy the way, I have about 25K on the mod, and everything is still working well. It took me to 160 miles on the main with the stock tank. I should see about 200 miles with the "big" tank!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• wow 200 miles, I 'm used to filling up at that 90-100. But I don't think I want to swap to the other tank.
                            79 xs1100sf
                            79 firebird
                            85 f250 truggy

Comment

• The special has a smaller tank. You should get about 120 on the tank with the swap. I get 42mpg on my daily commute, and I can do almost 45 when I have to keep the speed down close to the "limit".
                              I DO ride a standard, so I've an advantage with the larger 5 gallon tank to begin with.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Yea I get about 30-35 and I don't shift gears soon enough.

All city traffic where this bike likes to live, stoplight to stoplight.
                                79 xs1100sf
                                79 firebird
                                85 f250 truggy

Comment

Working...
                                X