Chop's Final Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop's Final Solution

I rode to OKC today and inspected Chop's XS750 final drive transplant.

It appears to be "kosher" and is really not much more than a bolt on deal. I rode his bike about 15 miles today and can say without hesitation ...IT WORKS!

The bike did launch a little sluggish...but then it should with much taller gearing. However it wasn't like launching the bike in second gear.

But at 70 mph on the highway the Eleven was very relaxed...about like it normally would be at 60 mph.

The only catch is the drive shaft difference between the 1100 shaft and the 750 shaft. This can be made to work with a 5/8 collar or if you are like me (perfectionist nut) you can have a machinist lengthen your OEM 1100 shaft about 3/4 inch.

This is no doubt the path I'll take. But I am convinced it will be worth the effort. Using standard gear reduction calculations Zilla should be revving about 4400 rpm at 80 mph!!! That's a reduction of 600 rpm from my stock setup.

As a matter of fact the final drive ratio will be almost identical to that of my ZRX1200R. I have no idea why Yamaha originally geared these old Elevens so low. I suppose to get the 1/4 mile time down.

I'll post some photos as this modification take's place.
    Last edited by MAXIMAN; 10-08-2006, 07:43 PM.

Man Oh man... lol. Cody... you sound just like an engineer! "If it ain't broke.... screw with it until it is!" lol. Good luck and keep us informed.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

DON'T EVER CALL ME AN ENGINEER!

A rock head maybe...BUT NOT AN ENGINEER!

Ya know one time about 30 years ago one of my father's friends asked "What is Cody studying at college?...engineering?" My father quickly replied "No...no ..no he's got more pride than that!"

Comment

If you had a chain setup, would you have to lubricate it on intervals? If it did, what about a built in lube machine that oiled it constantly? Would it be possible with a belt setup too? If I got another bike, that sounds like a mod worth trying. To restate the obvious, we all want to see some photos of this.

BTW: Cody, I can't rember the product you told me to use on my exhaust bluing on the rally. I was going to do it this weekend, but I cannot find anything that would work. No one down here seems to stock Semi-chrome either. I also have a picture CD for you, could you PM me your mailing address? Thanks
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

I went to Lowe's and bought 4 or 5 grades of metal polsih and same number of buffing wheels for a drill...and the mandrels to hold the wheels.

Start with the lowest number...2 grit and buff up to a grit 6 for a mirror finish. It made the pipes on my '79 SF look brand new. Took about 2 or 3 hours.

Comment

Hey hobbyman...........................wanna get the headers back like they were when new?..........BLUEAWAY: 2.5oz. bottle liquid paste, use sparingly, rub patiently, and it DOES work. Don't use chrome polish where things are hot.........chemicals in chrome polish cause chrome to get a gold tint! (BLUEAWAY will run ya bout $18 at your local bike shop or accessory shop.)
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hobbyman

I think some sort of permanent luber would be a nasty mess all the time. Do you set it to lube while you're doing 70... or for city driving?? Too many variable. STart up a chainsaw with an automatic oiler on it. Run up the rpm's and hold the tip in front of something... oil slick in NO time!.
              I don't know if you happened to look at Dave's bike chain at Talehina (The Suzuki) His chain was oiled, but the oil turns into a waxy coating that stays put for a long time.
              I think a belt drive would stick out way too far, but it would be the quitest and cleaner of the two options. You have enough of these 11's that you can make a mistake anyway! Experiment away! lol. Just send me what's left afterwards!

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

.. yamaha geared the XS11 to perform at it's best with it's given power, just as Codys ZRX has been geared for. if the bike is geared too tall, you would not be able to reach red line in top gear, which is something that most bikes back then could not do and the ones that did covered a much greater distance to get there. remember, with it's stock gearing the XS11 was the fastest production motorcycle of it's day.
                .. a taller gearing on our bikes today is a nice improvement if your goal is better gas milage or that 150 mph top end with other performance improvements.
                keep up the good work Chops

Comment

OIC. I was just thinking about the disadvantages of having a chain drive. The only reason that I wouldn't go with a chain is the maintainance required. One less thing to thing about is a plus. I do think that oil spraying everywhere would not be a good thing. That is why, if it was possible, I would go with belt drive. Think about it, most people that "ride" HDs don't know how to turn a wrence, no offense, so they put on belt drives to make it "fool proof" and "low maintainance." I was going to buy a "fixer upper" some time. That way I could keep my 80G relatively stock and have another bike to experiment on. My Dad would Kill me if he came home one day and one of the bikes were converted to belt or chain drive
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Point taken.

But I have yet to be able to take a stock Eleven to redline in top gear. My red 79 woudl run like a scalded dog but I could not get that bike past 127 mph or 8000. It just didn't have the oomph.

However I think if Zilla were naked he could easily peg redline and beyond.

Of course the only reason I want this mod is for gas mileage. I have no desire to take a full dressed Eleven past 120...been there done that and it was a little freaky in the middle of Nevada.

Comment

.. must be something about the color red. i cant seem to get my red 79 Special past 8000 in top gear either. my Ugly bike hits red line in top gear within a mile![a very fun feeling] , but the speedo says i'm only goin 85 mph- i really should fix that part.

Comment

Yep...it's an easy fix too!

I know the feeling of speed quite well. I've taken Mr. Green Jeans in XS of 160+. And he will do it quickly. At that speed he is nowhere near redline but I've never had the balls to take him any farther.

And there's another little line under that....

I never will.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                          Hobbyman

I think some sort of permanent luber would be a nasty mess all the time.
                          This technology has been around for a while. Check out Scottoiler's site
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                            If you had a chain setup, would you have to lubricate it on intervals? If it did, what about a built in lube machine that oiled it constantly? Thanks

Didn't Harley have a chain oiler long ago (pre AMF days). That's where the "Harleys leak oil" got started. Of course the AMFs did leak.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

You wouldn't want to go any higher than that XS750 ratio on the XS11, 1st gear cops a hammering on take-off, give it full gas - especially if your motor's tricked out - then 1st will start self-destructing Don't ask...

Comment

Working...
                              X