Chop's Final Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conceivably

The xs750 CV joint could work, but the xs11 u-joint is better built. I wonder if the xs750 cv joint was able to even stand up to the xs850 power when yamaha upgraded, let alone the xs11....chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: clarification

Originally posted by xschop
      ALL you need is an xs750 FD and a $1.29 3/4" copper coupler from home depot.The coupler end needs 5/8" to be cut off and installed on the xs11 u-joint splines. This completely seats the xs11's driveshaft into the xs750 FD (NOT LEAVING ONLY 1/8" GRAB) BUT FULLY ENGAGING THE COUPLER TEETH, EVEN MORE SO THAN THE STOCK XS750!!!!! If you look at a 750 shaft the coupler splines are shorter, that's why I stuck with the xs1100 shaft! I am still driving with this set-up for the last few weeks and have been over 100mph (quite a few times) WITH NO PROBLEMS.....CHOP
      Ah ha...but how much more engagement do you get from having the shaft extended? 3/4 inch?

I'm sure it will work. As it did work...I rode the bike.

But as for me and my perfectionist tendencies... I will have the Eleven shaft machined to fit. Rigged juries generally end up in innocent people being hung.

Comment

get r dun

well, you get yours extended 3/4" and mine's almost finished at 5/8". I believe the 3/4"would work but that spring will be completely compressed and I would prefer even a little play at the coupler/driveshaft end for swingarm movement. But no worry, since your the 3/4" ginea pig, you could actually grind off the u-joint yolk by 1/8" and you would be back to where mine would set. I can't wait for your results. I have no doubt your 1200 kit will pull it with all that gear....chop
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you said to extend the shaft 3/4 inch.

Comment

No I'm not gonna extend it that much if you didn't. I'll just have to look at it whne it comes in next week.

I have no doubt Zilla will pull it. You bike didn't seem to have any trouble doing it. I just want to see a 5 or 6 mpg increase in fuel savings. Hopefully it will do it with all that dress and fairing.

Comment

Got my XS750 drive today. I looks to be in good shape. I sat it up on the bench and did a quick ratio check.
              It is obviously 2.9 to 1.

This should be a nice rev reduction over the stock Eleven drive. I've a little maintenence to do but as I go with the mod I'll try to document it and post back here.

Comment

What is the stock 11's final drive ratio?
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

3.3 to 1

Computations indicate on a Special/Maxim with a 130/90-16 rear tire that is 25.2 inches OD the swap in drive ratio will result in a 12% decrease in RPM at any speed in top gear.

At 70 my Maxim is spinning 4400 rpm. With the drive swap it will be spinning 3900. Chop has confirmed this. At 70 his dropped from 4400 to 3950.

Comment

yeah, what he said

The drop in rpm is exactly 12% and fuel economy on the Blue Streak has increased by @ 15%....chop
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Here's a new twist on this thread

How much more bottom end do you think a triple would have with an 11's final drive? I'll bet it would be quicker than stink. My 750 triple was quick, but it needed more top end. I know the top end will be even less with the 11's FD, but I bet it would be a whole lot of fun between the stop lights.

Comment

No doubt. It would likely be akin to the ZL1000 Eliminator I had couple years ago. The thing would nail 80 faster than you could say splat. But at that speed it was really wrapped out.

The fastest I could get out of that bike was about 135.

An XS750 would probably make a KILLER street fighter with an Eleven final drive. Of course top speed on it would probably only be 90 mph.

Comment

90 MPH,

but how quickly it would get there. Do you think it would be hard to keep the front wheel down?

Comment

I did not know that an XS could do a wheelie untill I saw a photo on the site from and add
                            Last edited by HobbyMan; 10-18-2006, 04:50 PM.
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

instead of cutting and rewelding your driveshaft to make it longer

how about if you made a spacer and put it between the middle drive and the universal
                              sort of like an adapter to put wheels with a different bolt pattern on your car
                              just a flat piece of steel with some holes in it for the bolts
                              and use the 750 universal, because that already fits the driveshaft

or if the universals are the same size, change out the part that accepts the shaft
                              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                              79F Parts
                              80G Parts
                              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

There may be two problems with a spacer plate between the middle drive and the U joint, is the bolts may have to be too long to be able to get them in the mid drive flange, and not have then hit the mid drive it self, and the U joint may be moved back too much, and may hit the back of the swingarm/driveshaft tube. Using a U joint yoke from the 750 may be feasable, if the two bikes share the same U joint.

Comment

Working...
                                X