No announcement yet.

Chop's Final Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I geared mine at 3000 revs in 5th it was doing 100kph(63mph), gave it full gas at 3000 in 5th and it was like fast accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating, the XS11's motor's a torque monster just keeps hauling ass like some sort of locomotive, no matter what gearing

Comment

I agree with pggg

I took blue streak to work today, before I left the driveway, I heard a small squeak in the rear. Stopped to inspect and the rear brake was dragging a tad bit, put in neutral and was a little hard to push by hand. pulled out the 8mm wrech an voila! no more dragging. I just wonder how long I rode like that or if it was just from the early morning dew in the brake caliper. No more bogging down on takeoff!
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Careful there, chop. That wasn't early morning dew causing your rear brake to drag, it was probably a blocked spooge hole in the resr master cylinder. Keep an eye on it, and make plans to take it apart and clean it out completely one day.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

spooge hole

no, I did that already. I just remembered I put in a good used piston seal a few weeks back. I can't remember if I cleaned the 'groove' out or not after I saw a post about crud in it...looks like I will be in it this weekend when I redo the clutch....thanks alot
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
            I geared mine at 3000 revs in 5th it was doing 100kph(63mph), gave it full gas at 3000 in 5th and it was like fast accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating accelerating, the XS11's motor's a torque monster just keeps hauling ass like some sort of locomotive, no matter what gearing

WHOA!!! That is way TALL!

According to gear calculations Chop's bike is spinning at 3300 rpm at 60 mph. Chop actually has no tach on his "chopped" Eleven. Be he did install one temporarily and told me his engine was revving 3950 or there abouts at 70 mph. This corresponds exactly to the prescribed gear computations.

I suppose you have a chain driven Eleven...to have it geared so tall?

Comment

rpm

Hey maximan, thanks for the ride on that brute cruiser, i can't wait for my big bore, head update. Don't forget that I am running the 16 inch rear wheel (looks cool on the Blue Streak).....chop
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Re: rpm

Originally posted by xschop
                Hey maximan, thanks for the ride on that brute cruiser, i can't wait for my big bore, head update. Don't forget that I am running the 16 inch rear wheel (looks cool on the Blue Streak).....chop
                Yeah I know. I looked at the tire on UR bike. It was a 130/90-16 Metzler.

Comment

"I suppose you have a chain driven Eleven...to have it geared so tall?

Yep, 100kph@3000 revs is a 13front and 35 tooth rear, waay tall, it's now running a 14 front and 45 rear, that gives 3600@ 100kph.

Comment

Ok, so if you want the 750 final drive you have to lengthen the 1100 shaft... but can you just use a 750 shaft instead... are they otherwise the same measurements?

Comment

huh, I just read that the 750 shaft ujoint splines don't match the 11... bummer

Comment

The the drive coupler that accepts the shaft into the final drive housing is the same for both 750 and 1100. the diff is between the engine end. The 1100 has something like 21 splines...the 750 like 17 or 18. But it's no big deal.

The only other difference is the length of the shaft. The 1100 shaft is a little too short to completely engage.

The solution is either lengthen the 1100 shaft by 3/4 inch or have a machinist cut the 750 splines off (that go engineward) and reattach the 1100 splines.

In either case this mod works well and requires little effort to work flawlessly.

I'll be doing this modification to Zilla in the next couple weeks. I'll post pics of the transplant as it progresses.

Comment

hey thanks for the reply maxim, after reading everything I'm still confused what exactly the collar should look like.. it's a tube right? so how exactly does it lengthen the shaft? Do you cut the shaft and put both ends in the collar?

Thanks

Comment

No actually the 5/8 collar that Chop improvised simply allowed him to temporarily test the mod. It was basically a spacer that kept the short shaft of the Eleven engaged on both ends. But the splines only grabbbed about an 1/8 inch in the drive housing and the U-Joint coupling...NOT GOOD.

But Ok for a test. So I wouldn't recommend running the modification wiht the coller rig permanently. To do it right one should have the 1100 shaft lengthened and seal the drive coupling as per Chop's instructions. Then you should have no problem from then on.

Comment

Max & Chop,

Could you, conceivably, take the yoke and u-joint from donor 750 or 850, and bolt on new yoke, driveshaft and final? Maybe I need to go read again to see exactly where that spacer went, or extended driveshaft. Looks like the '79 xs750 had a ball joint instead of a u-joint, but later years had the u-joint.

Thanks for the work and explanation and research that has gone into this mod.

Theron
                              Yamaniac
                              '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                              '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                              '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                              '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                              '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

clarification

ALL you need is an xs750 FD and a $1.29 3/4" copper coupler from home depot.The coupler end needs 5/8" to be cut off and installed on the xs11 u-joint splines. This completely seats the xs11's driveshaft into the xs750 FD (NOT LEAVING ONLY 1/8" GRAB) BUT FULLY ENGAGING THE COUPLER TEETH, EVEN MORE SO THAN THE STOCK XS750!!!!! If you look at a 750 shaft the coupler splines are shorter, that's why I stuck with the xs1100 shaft! I am still driving with this set-up for the last few weeks and have been over 100mph (quite a few times) WITH NO PROBLEMS.....CHOP
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X