Quakertown PA - Key West FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi sethhope,
    I would recommend you use the Interstate to get past Miami & Lauderdale. 1 or A1A is a good option after that. Titusville and Cocoa Beach are worth driving by. Ron Jon's is worth a visit. you need at least 1/2 day for Kennedy Space Center.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Ditto on thanking Seth for posting about the trip. I live vicariously for these ride reports and read them all but don’t comment enough.

Reliving my ld west coast rides on my 850 special when I was so poor I used rubber gardening gloves and boots and a garbage bag to stay dry.
      Steve R

'80 SG
      "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
      1978 XS400E Red
      1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Glad you guys are liking the posts!

I took a1a for a while and it was absolutely beautiful! Because im a space nerd, i had to at least get a look at kennedy. Didnt go in or pay for parking, but got to see the VAB and a few rockets they have outside. Otherwise, i went straight to savannah. Decided to go drive around a bit and found a few cute houses in Savanah.

1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Awesome trip Seth... Y'all get ready for some NC downeastern style Q with awesome hushpuppies and all the fixin's...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Rolled through SC into NC today and NO RAIN! First day i havent been rained on. Rolled into madmax-im's house around 3. Here for the night.

Last night, I was the only bike at the hotel. This morning I woke up to a flock.

Last edited by sethhope; 07-14-2018, 02:54 PM.
            1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Y'all beat me to it..Welcome to NC... Y'all ready yo get some food?

1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Neat set up for touring..Dont believe i have ever seen an XS11 with a Suzuki fairing...One of a kind...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Safe travels Sethhope!!!

A pleasure to have met you and taken you in for a night...I look forward to meeting you at the next XS rally...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Haha absolutely a pleasure as well, madmaxim. Thank you for hosting me!

Last night we went on a lovely ride. Great views, and great 'q. Left about 8 this morning. Just got into Baltimore where Im staying for the night. No pictures today. I didnt stop but for gas, and the weather here is gross. Not raining, but overcast and hot. Tomorrow I go home and wrap up this adventure. Then I get to start planning the next one. Thinking of going to LA to visit my sister next year.

Anyway, off to get some good food and good sleep for the not-so-long ride tomorrow.

Comment

Got home around 11. Did the lap to my family to share stories and experiences. This certainly has been an adventure for sure. For a first LD trip, it went extraordinarily well. No real breakdowns, lots of wonderful places, the best people i could ever ask to meet, and some truly amazing food! Roxy sure is going to need some TLC after this one, but she was an absolute trooper! For a bike her age, shes hardly even grumpy!

Thanks to all of you who commented and posted here! And a special thanks goes out to madmax-im for hosting me for a night.

After this, a long rest and some well needed relaxing maintenance is in order. And in the meantime, I can begin planning my next adventure! Anyone here do a NY to LA run before? Thinking ill go visit my sis in cali.

Anyways, below are a few shots from this morning when I woke up in Baltimore. Last pics for this thread. Thanks for reading and commenting! These bikes may be old, but they still have plenty of life left in em if theyre treated well!

Comment

Congratulations Sethhope!

You're a natural born LD rider..soon to be of IBA status officially..unofficially you are already there IMHO. You and Roxy performed admirably. These old bikes are amazing but do need more attention than a modern day sport tourer..but you are very much up to the task...
                        Dang we forgot to check out your cool night time LED lighting...no biggie..As always our door is open should any XSives need a place to stay for the night... Oh sorry about the blank pic ..i was playing with a new hosting site and decided i didnt want to use it... Forgot that i already had used it.. DOH...when i deleted the album...oops...
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                          A pleasure to have met you and taken you in for a night...I look forward to meeting you at the next XS rally...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

CONGRATS on completing your first LD trip. That's fantastic. Glad to hear you made it home safely and pretty trouble free.

Thanks for posting the nice pics and travelogue. Glad you got to stop and see Ben too.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Kudos to you for getting that bike in shape and making the trip. That is really awesome. I just picked up on your thread, start to finish. Did you pick that bike, or did it pick you?
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                                Kudos to you for getting that bike in shape and making the trip. That is really awesome. I just picked up on your thread, start to finish. Did you pick that bike, or did it pick you?
                                The bike certainly picked me. I bought it because it was cheap on Craigslist... I kept it because I fell in love.

Comment

Working...
                                X