Quakertown PA - Key West FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quakertown PA - Key West FL

And so begins the journey! Roxy's all packed and ready to go. Im rested and fed. Leaving in a few hours for day 1. Only doing small miles today because I'd like to ease myself into this trip. My first day will end in Baltimore at a friend's house.
    Lets do this!

1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Hi Sethhope,
    Off and running. Excellent. Nice pictures. that fairing looks good.
    I expect like most of us you have packed too much stuff
    You will soon be an expert at loading and unloading. Watch your speed when you get to Virginia where the troopers have no sense of humour

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I definitely packed too much. As of late, my back isn't doing so great. So I decided, my bikes got the power and the space, I might as well pack a nice comfy cot. But then I needed a tent to fit the cot. and the backpack is just some clothes. Left bag is dirty laundry and some tools, right bag is oil and gear oil and an extra pair of shoes along with my jackets (summer mesh and rain jacket). The trunk is my laptop and a few blankets. Tank bag is just there for my gloves and my bike cover. All in all, shes not TOO heavy, just wanted some extra comfort on the road

ALSO location update:
      Baltimore discovered.
      I'll be staying here tonight at my GFs aunt's extra house just outside the city. I set off tomorrow for Lake Butner NC.

If anyone has been down 95 from Baltimore heading South and you know of some places I can camp free (national forests, etc) please feel free to post below.
      1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

View outside the window.

Comment

On the Road ………….. GREAT
          Probably some good Smiles per Mile riding today
          Have a good trip. Post updates when you can.

Jeff

it looks like you will be heading into the soup tomorrow.
          I'm not sure if your "stuff" inside the luggage is waterproofed, like inside a garbage bag. Just a thought if it isn't; to keep your stuff dry
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            On the Road ………….. GREAT
            Probably some good Smiles per Mile riding today
            Have a good trip. Post updates when you can.

Jeff

it looks like you will be heading into the soup tomorrow.
            I'm not sure if your "stuff" inside the luggage is waterproofed, like inside a garbage bag. Just a thought if it isn't; to keep your stuff dry
            Everything is waterproofed well. Got garbage bags and I sealed my bags with gasket maker so they're pretty close to waterproof on their own.

Comment

Lookin' good Jesse !!!

Hope You have a safe trip.

Did you get your exhaust sorted out ?
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Severe T storms rolling in over William B. Umstead state park in NC

Comment

Hi SethHope,
                  Slow down. At least there is no snow in the forecast
                  I suggest you head WEST 421 into Boone and meander down through those National Forests up and down mountain roads it will be great and a bit cooler at altitude. Asheville is close to the Blue Ride Parkway which ends at Cherokee NC
                  Suches GA has a motorcycle friendly camp site.
                  http://twowheelsofsuches.com/camping/
                  be sure to ride the Wolf Pen Gap rd if you go there.
                  Dahlonega is about 30 minute ride down the mountain for shopping and also worth a visit.
                  Detour around Atlanta as the traffic hell starts about 20 miles south of
                  Dahlonega. Athens if you head for Jacksonville or over towards Alabama.
                  Leeds near Birmingham has the Barber motorcycle museum which is worth a visit.
                  How long do you have ? there are plenty of places to go and see
                  Keep those pictures coming.
                  Phil
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Unfortunately i dont have a ton of time. This trip isnt just an adventure. Im meeting a long time friend in key west and he's expecting me monday night. Ill take a look at Suches and atlanta as I do need a place to stay in GA.

Comment

hi Sethhope,
                      You have about 1000 miles to go. so will have to press on with few distractions. if you fancy a motel I would recommend St George on I95 in South Carolina for lowest prices.
                      Anastasia State Park in St Augustine FL
                      Tomoka state Park in Daytona FL https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Tomoka
                      Long Point Park Sebastian Inlet FL just south of Melbourne. http://www.visitspacecoast.com/listi...ampground/643/
                      I would recommend you get to at least Melbourne for Sunday night.

Fuel at Kingsland GA as Florida prices are always higher.
                      I like to ride A1A from St Augustine to Ormond Beach as it is right beside the sea and takes very little extra time. Do check the map for where to head back in land to I95

Hope the above helps. Florida is a Looong state

Phil
                      Last edited by MaximPhil; 07-06-2018, 08:31 PM.
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post

Severe T storms rolling in over William B. Umstead state park in NC
                        Well that is not ar from me..maybe 2 hours ride...if on your way back you are going through ENC give me a shout..our door is always open..
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Day 3 in progress. Stuck in a gas station 50 miles outside of Savannah GA. Terrible thunderhead surrounded the city and is keeping me out.
                          Left in rain this morning and will arrive in rain tonight.

Bike report: wouldnt start at a gas station in SC. I was right next to Black Magic Harley Davidson so I walked it over. Bought a new battery after being harrassed by the staff. Wouldnt return even if I HAD a harley. I hope the battery was the problem and not a bad regulator. Alternator is working, but idk how well its charging the battery. Guess we'll find out tonight/ tomorrow.
                          More to come when I get to savannah.

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
                            Day 3 in progress. Stuck in a gas station 50 miles outside of Savannah GA. Terrible thunderhead surrounded the city and is keeping me out.
                            Left in rain this morning and will arrive in rain tonight.

Bike report: wouldnt start at a gas station in SC. I was right next to Black Magic Harley Davidson so I walked it over. Bought a new battery after being harrassed by the staff. Wouldnt return even if I HAD a harley. I hope the battery was the problem and not a bad regulator. Alternator is working, but idk how well its charging the battery. Guess we'll find out tonight/ tomorrow.
                            More to come when I get to savannah.
                            Got a HF digital multi-meter in most of my vehicles just for that reason

Watch out for the crazies
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                              Got a HF digital multi-meter in most of my vehicles just for that reason

Watch out for the crazies
                              Yeah... probs should have packed my meter. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X