No announcement yet.

Quakertown PA - Key West FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, safely in Savannah GA in an econolodge. I never thought id dislike how a city smelled until i crossed into Savannah. Not sure what smell it is, but its not pleasant. As for my bike, i havent had any other troubles. Im assuming the problem was just the battery. It was a pretty old battery anyway.

No exciting pictures yet. I passed a beautiful vista but there was no shoulder for a photo op on the road...

Heres Roxy from my room window.
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
      ...I was right next to Black Magic Harley Davidson so I walked it over. Bought a new battery after being harrassed by the staff. Wouldnt return even if I HAD a harley...
      Correction: Black Jack Harley Davidson. Don't wanna give a bad rap to the wrong dealership.
      1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Sorry to hear you had a glitch. Hope it's ok now.

Im not sure what Savannah Econo you are at but likely you are at the one near the tidal Marsh. Tide Marsh at low tide has different smell. Plus it has been a Tropical air flow off the Atlantic for the past week plus. Our daily rain blast in Atlanta. If you are at Pooler it's tide Marsh and there is a paper mill hidden back there somewhere.

Hope it's zoom-zoom in the morning with a nice ride into Florida.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Sorry to hear you had a glitch. Hope it's ok now.

Im not sure what Savannah Econo you are at but likely you are at the one near the tidal Marsh. Tide Marsh at low tide has different smell. Plus it has been a Tropical air flow off the Atlantic for the past week plus. Our daily rain blast in Atlanta. If you are at Pooler it's tide Marsh and there is a paper mill hidden back there somewhere.

Hope it's zoom-zoom in the morning with a nice ride into Florida.

Jeff
          I'm in Savannah Econo Lodge Midtown. Right next to Hunter Army Airfield.

Comment

This is my oil loss after about 300 miles or so. Not too bad.

This is where im seeing oil leaking. Nothing too serious. Im very pleased with it actually. When i get home, new gaskets are in order, but she'll survive the trip no problem.

Comment

Any oil on your left boot? If so that left seal behind the advancer might be weeping.
              If so, it might fix itself. Mine did. Leaked badly (PO had gas in crankcase) but after numerous oil changes and frequent riding it sealed up fine. Ridden it 20,000 miles with no leaks. Bought the seal but never used it.

You are keeping the oil topped up so with that you should be good. Let us know how today went. Quite the fun isn't it.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Holding our breath to know if you made it to KeyWest for your Monday night appointment which I trust includes a celebratory beer and watching the sunset from Mallory square.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

KEY WEST IS A GO!

I haven't had internet for the last 2 days. No cell signal or wifi in Palm Bay where I was with my uncle. However, after spending far too long behind SLOWW Florida drivers, I did make it to key west on time. I pulled up just as my friend was getting out of work. Spent the day kayaking and fishing right off summerland key with my friend. Not sure what tomorrow will be, but I'm sure it'll be a blast.

The bike still seems to be running fine. most of my oil leaks are very small and haven't been seeping much. Down to 1 quart every 400-500 miles. I have developed a slight valve tick, but I think that's a worn cam lobe and just needs a shim. No performance loss or noticeable adverse effects, so it looks like I'm going to be doing a valve adjustment when I get home.

Pictures to come when I have enough internet to upload.

Comment

Comment

Bike looks better in the Florida sun, You look a little older since XS East

Glad ya made it unscathed, how many miles about was it to the Keys ?
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                        Bike looks better in the Florida sun, You look a little older since XS East

Glad ya made it unscathed, how many miles about was it to the Keys ?
                        About 1600 miles give or take. And YES Florida sun makes everything look better

Comment

Looking Good!!

Safe Travels Seth

Bike looks Fantastic

Looks a lot warmer than our days changing out bent valves!

You are a great inspiration

Eastcoaster
                          82 XJ1100J
                          81 Venturer
                          Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Nice ride reporing Seth!

Following along and enjoying the posts.

Brian
                            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

On my way back home! Staying with my uncle Scott again tonight. Got some good sunsets last night. Saw some jets taking off from Key West air base this morning. Also some nice landscapes in Palm Bay. Bike's still running well. Still a slight valve tick. Good power, no other issues.

Tomorrow is back to Savannah GA. Probably going to take a detour past Cape Canaveral tomorrow morning.

Comment

Hi sethhope,
                                Nice pictures and report. Can you spare the time for a ride out to the Everglades? stop at the entrance for the 20 minute movie. Flat as a pancake but interesting and camping available at the end of the road.

Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X