Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I was tooling along at 90 in New Mexico nearing Roswell, NM and started to hear some noise about 6 miles north of town - slowed to side of the road and pulled clutch in and engine seized. Towed home to San Antonio in a Uhaul trailer.

I have a low mileage, 79 donor to swap the engine when I go on vacation in August, but have not tried to open the engine to diagnose in the interim.

I think Tod's guess that the timing chain slipped a cog or guide broke is likely and the valves locked up.

When I am done it will be better than ever with a 14k engine and very nice exhaust from my donor.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Do I get the dead body?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There won't be much left but if you come visit you could tow it home

I got rope. You just need someone willing to steer!

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            There won't be much left but if you come visit you could tow it home

I got rope. You just need someone willing to steer!

John
            John,
            If you remember, he carries his own tow strap.
            And that one time at 14,000 ' it was a good thing! Lol!

So funny... I'm 2 1/2 miles down the mountain where I finally can get cell reception to call for a wrecker, it's 32 degrees and has rained on us for the past 2 hours, and suddenly I get interrupted with AMA and it's Greg! I answer, and ask him how he got reception? He says, "We're headed your way down the mountain!! Be ready!"
            I asked him how? He said he was towing Tod with a ratcheting tie down strap he had, placed between his bike and Tod's!

Right before I hung up, I told him he was crazy! Lol !!

So, Greg don't need no stinkin' rope... He comes prepared.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Well hell, it was cold, getting dark and JW's damn lighter wouldn't work to make coffee. Desperate times deserve desperate measures.

Besides, with Tod a tow rope is pretty mandatory I've found out.
              Last edited by BA80; 07-15-2015, 07:09 PM.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Well hell, it was cold, getting dark and JW's damn lighter wouldn't work to make coffee. Desperate times deserve desperate measures.

Besides, with Tod a tow rope is pretty mandatory I've found out.
                LMAO!

When I sent those side by side pics of the 2 hub splines to Bohn, he said, "I never even heard of anybody being ABLE to do that!"

I'm just glad we're on THIS side of the mountain and can now laugh as we fondly remember this trip. It was definitely an adventure.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

just caught up with this thread...what a great trip...totally envious...I havent been out west in a very long time...quite an adventure y'all had...the trips where you breakdown or some strange mishaps that occur make for the best memories...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

love this shot...amongst many others ofc...

and this one too...Colorado is so diverse in topography...
                    Last edited by madmax-im; 07-17-2015, 06:06 AM.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      just caught up with this thread...what a great trip...totally envious...I havent been out west in a very long time...quite an adventure y'all had...the trips where you breakdown or some strange mishaps that occur make for the best memories...

I think that's EVERY trip. I'm just glad its not always me, just mostly.
                      But I am persistent!

John

Comment

I have the time but i would need to save some $$$ but I would love to ride out to Colorado and visit Brant and Anita...and then tour the rest of the SW...Utah...Nevada...Arizona..NM...I still have a few friends in Tucson...doing it on an XS1100 would be cool...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good reason to not hike. Flashfloods.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us/...#photo-8639239

John

Comment

I was tooling along at 90 in New Mexico nearing Roswell, NM and started to hear some noise about 6 miles north of town - slowed to side of the road and pulled clutch in and engine seized. Towed home to San Antonio in a Uhaul trailer.

I have a low mileage, 79 donor to swap the engine when I go on vacation in August, but have not tried to open the engine to diagnose in the interim.

I think Tod's guess that the timing chain slipped a cog or guide broke is likely and the valves locked up.

When I am done it will be better than ever with a 14k engine and very nice exhaust from my donor.

John
                            Having the stock final drive J.W, need to keep that motor at 5,000rpm for a cruisin' speed. 'it's called metal fatidue over the decades. and the harmonics of he motor speed the wear from internal harmonics
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

John
                              Having the stock final drive J.W, need to keep that motor at 5,000rpm for a cruisin' speed. 'it's called metal fatidue over the decades. and the harmonics of that motoer if running constantly above that motor speed, the wear from internal harmonics WILL shorten motors life
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X