No announcement yet.

Colorado-Utah-Arizona May 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My total trip miles was slightly over 3000.
    Good thing I didn't hang with Tod and Greg and take a couple more days of the scenic tour on the way back... no way my back tire would have made it!

All good now, though! Fresh set of PR4GT's...

Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 06-10-2015, 11:37 PM.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
      THAT photo is one of my favorites. Greg looks like he just came back from the men's room to discover somebody was eating his Rocky Mountain Oysters while he was gone...and judging by HIS grin, John looks like he could be the guy responsible.

This was disappointing --- ---- I was expecting to read that you had just pulled the front wheel up as you crossed the Continental Divide.
      Hey Billy,
      I figure that's how Tod's hub wound up in this condition... too many wheelies!
      Lol...

I sent the side by side pic of the 2 hubs to Bohn...
      He said, "I never even heard of something like that even being possible!"

I replied, "Well, it is from TOD'S bike, ya know..."

Truth be told, Tod has been behaving himself pretty well the past few trips...
      (except maybe that one 2 mile straightaway he gunned it, then John gunned his, and I simply couldn't allow either one of them to think they had fast bikes...
      (Tod later admitted maybe his Maxim "might" be starting to show it's age...)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
        (Tod later admitted maybe his Maxim "might" be starting to show it's age...)

Yeah, even though pushing that bus front (Windjammer fairing) I think 114 was the highest I saw on the trip according to GPS. (Because to be truthful, with the XJ speedo, 85 is as fast as I can ever go! ) That's about 12mph less than it used to do, but.. I don't know the altitude we were at either. Even at that, I can feel it's not as strong as it once was, but it doesn't burn any oil to speak of (I added @ 1/2 qt on this 3500 mile trip... and that could be due to valve cover leaking pretty bad.. lol) and I've got somewhere @ 150k on it since the last rebuild. Much better than the 2-3 motors a year I had been going through.. lol. It does puff a bit of oil on startup though if left for a couple days.

Plus, as Bob said, I have slowed down a lot. I've come to realize that I'm allergic to guardrails and road rash. Both make me break out with red, sore spots, and it's finally starting to sink in that I'm not 18 any more (Or at least don't heal like one). Many may agree that I'm still waiting to get there mentally? lol.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

lol.....good thing there were no guardrails on Red Mountain.......hate to see a guy break-out in a rash and such while freezin' his cojones off at the same time.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            lol.....good thing there were no guardrails on Red Mountain.......hate to see a guy break-out in a rash and such while freezin' his cojones off at the same time.
            Tod wasn't freezing, he was so warm he had to take his jacket off in the WRECKER.

Would have gotten some pics of the queen XJ on the rollback (payback) but it was dark and snowing too hard.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Tod wasn't freezing, he was so warm he had to take his jacket off in the WRECKER.

Would have gotten some pics of the queen XJ on the rollback (payback) but it was dark and snowing too hard.
              Well, hopefully the heat rash wasn't too discomforting then.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tod,
                I'm still trying to figure out if the wrecker dude was either uber-cool, or it was your "persuasive charming skills and good looks" that got him to stop at that convenience store midway back to Durango for "refreshments"...

I could not figure out why we were stopping...

I thought..."Is the wrecker out of fuel??" Lol!!

Pretty funny when you rolled down the window to tell us why we stopped....

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

What happens in the back seat of the tow truck stays in the back seat of the tow truck......
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tod,
                    I'm still trying to figure out if the wrecker dude was either uber-cool, or it was your "persuasive charming skills and good looks" that got him to stop at that convenience store midway back to Durango for "refreshments"...

I thought..."Is the wrecker out of fuel??" Lol!!

Bob, around here they call those "Liquor stores". lol. I think it all started when instead of charging me however much AMA said it was going to be extra, he said he was only going to charge me $35 more for the additional mileage. I saw his wife and two kids in the back and told him I'd give him $40 and however he wanted to write up the receipt was up to him.. that I'd rather see the money going to them for having to be out in this crap. Then just general talking... laughing about the poor fools having to ride bikes in that weather and such. I asked if there was a liquor store on the way since I obviously couldn't ride to one later, and there we were.

So, it was either "persuasive charming skills and good looks", or cash money bribery... but probably the good looks. lol.

Pretty funny when you rolled down the window to tell us why we stopped....
                    Yeah, I hated to do that. Do you guys know how cold it was out there when you roll that window down?!
                    Last edited by trbig; 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Bob, around here they call those "Liquor stores". lol.

"Convenience = Liquor" - I get it now.

So, it was either "persuasive charming skills and good looks", or cash money bribery... but probably the good looks. lol.

Oh yeah, had to be. I think I agree with Greg on this one.

Yeah, I hated to do that. Do you guys know how cold it was out there when you roll that window down?!
                      Actually, yeah, I did! Somewhere along the way, when I glanced at my outside temp reading and it said "28" and the snow was over an inch thick on my windscreen, and about every 15 seconds I had to reach over the screen with my left hand to wipe the snow off so I could kinda see the wrecker's taillights so I'd know I was still on the road, and I had to keep my visor open because both it and my glasses kept fogging up, and the rain/snow was stinging my face, let me know it had turned into a frosty adventure.

Like Bohn always says, "If you go on a trip, and nothing memorable happens, do ya think you'll remember that trip later on? Probably not! But you can bet you'll remember the stuff that goes wrong! That's what makes it an adventure."

Yep... I classify this trip as an adventure!

Maybe we just need to avoid Colorado from now on? Lol

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

you coulda used one of these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motor...113086498.html
                        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

That would fit right along with that HUGE fairing you had on that F Harry.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Great photos, great write-up. I've been to many of these places and the photos brought back some good memories.

North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Zion are great places to visit. Zion has some impressive hikes, not always my cup of tea but worth the effort. Get a National Parks Pass if you plan to visit these and other parks, worth it if you visit more than 2 or 3 parks in a year.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Get a National Parks Pass if you plan to visit these and other parks, worth it if you visit more than 2 or 3 parks in a year.
                              Or if you have a group ride planned - I was the only one with a NP Pass but the Rangers let all 4 of us in on it each time at Zion both days and at Grand Canyon too

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I really like this pc. Looks like it would be a great postcard.....

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X