Colorado-Utah-Arizona May 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado-Utah-Arizona May 2015

May 15th, several of us met in Wichita at a buddy, Ivan’s place. Dinner and drinks were at the Wichita Brewing Company. A night of lying, drinking, and general debauchery (Fun) was had by all. The next morning after breakfast, Greg, Bob, and I headed out in the rain towards Walsenburg, Colorado.

It rained off and on… mostly on. Then we went through this.. chasing the tornadoes, dodging lightning, 70+ MPH crosswinds, and hail. Man this motorcycling stuff is fun, isn’t it?

We finally made it to Walsenburg, Colorado where John was waiting on us. Dinner, a couple drinks, and off to bed. Next morning, the weather looked MUCH more pleasant. We grabbed a bite to eat, fueled up, and headed out with Grand Junction, Colorado, and Brant’s (Motoman) house as our final destination.

But first, the Great Sand Dunes National park.

These sand dunes have been blowing across the plains and getting stopped by these mountains for eons. This picture doesn’t show the size of it. I’m still 8 miles from it here.

Just outside the park entrance, they had a small gas station so we decided to top off. This is when Greg realized that he’d left his debit card back in Walsenburg, 77 miles from where we were. So…. Bob and John waited in the next little town and Greg and I got to see the mountain pass between there and Walsenburg three times that day!

After we got Greg's card and we rode back and met up with Bob and John, we continued on…

I must have been doing really good leading because John kept telling me I was #1!

Brant and his 6 bike garage.

Brant (Or at least his wife) had us all dinner ready when we got there, which was a little later than planned. (Ahem, Greg) It was delicious and they were great to have a group of guys like us stay at their home!

To be continued...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

The next morning, Brant agreed to ride with us for a while. The original plan was to ride the Million Dollar Highway, then west at Durango and end in Blanding Utah. Plans change.. and we eventually made it to Durango.. for the next two nights. Lol.

It started out well…Nice scenery.

We parted ways with Brant at Ridgway, CO, and continued south through Ouray and the Million Dollar Highway.

Shortly after this picture, while decelerating down a grade, I felt something give in the driveline and I basically had a neutral in every gear. I coasted to a wide spot in the road and stopped. No cell service. Snow/sleet/rain/10k+ feet elevation… Bob went on a few miles until he found cell service. After fighting on the phone for 2 hrs. trying to get a wrecker arranged through AMA, we finally said the heck with it and Greg towed me the 6+ miles down the mountain to Silverton. Long story short and more hrs passed until just as it was getting dark, a wrecker showed up to take my bike to Durango. The others followed the tow truck, across Molas pass, at 11k feet and snowing like CRAZY. But.. I don’t know if those guys realized just how warm that wrecker had his heater going in there. I mean, I was getting downright hot until I got my jacket off!

That night and the next day were a bit frantic trying to track down the part we needed, but a buddy in Kansas City pulled through for us and overnighted a hub to us. Nothing $107 wouldn’t take care of! Lol. So while we waited.. might as well eat and drink, right? Greg was so happy we could hardly contain him.

The hotel had a really good breakfast and the attendant was the happiest, most positive guy I’ve ever met. “You have a WONDERFUL day because you are an awesome person!” “Oh thank you so much! Every new day is the best day of my life!” On and on. After 30 minutes, and still not enough coffee, I wanted to throat punch him.

At 9:40 the 2nd morning, the hub arrived. Stripped gears on left.

By 10:30 we were packed up and pulling out of the hotel. Our original route had to change due to time constraints and so we just took a direct route to Springdale, Utah.

We didn’t get too far and got stopped in construction.

But it was all good because even Mother Nature was telling us we were #1!

Onward towards Utah. The desert was in bloom.

I laughed at this. Apparently there really IS a black sheep in every family!

We finally made it to Springdale, Utah, just outside Zion National Park. A shot from the hotel parking lot.

To be continued...

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100

Comment

We had breakfast with Bohn Frazer, who was there with his wife and one of his daughters doing some hiking in the park. We had planned to stay 3 days, but the breakdown changed that. So, we packed back up after just one night and headed to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We had tried a couple other times to see this, but they don't open the road to the north rim until May 15th.

But first, Zion National Park. Spectacular scenery here.

And on to Grand Canyon.

A little video with the view from inside the lodge.

http://youtu.be/ZzXP6681oJ0

After the Grand Canyon, Bob and John split off and headed for home. Greg and I continued back north through The Grand Staircase, Escalante, and eventually stop for the night in Torrey, Utah.

We were going to go to Bryce Canyon, but it was raining.. as usual. Seems like every time I try to go here, that happens. This is a shot as we went by the back side of it.

Then onwards towards Escalante.

Greg took a shot of me…

…taking a shot of this.

My oily, road-grimed steed.

The last few miles before we got into Torrey, Utah, we went over a mountain pass. Every 2-3 turns, there were some kind of animals in the road. Mountain sheep, deer… and the ever-present elk.

To be continued...

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

The next morning, we headed out to do my favorite ride of anywhere I’ve been. From Torrey, UT, to Hanksville is @ 40 miles. Stop and fuel up again at Hanksville, because it’s 120+ miles to either Mexican Hat or Blanding from there, which is the next closest gas.

Greg rounding the bend…

We found a dirt road to pull off and get something to drink and stretch our legs.

Beautiful with a mean side.

Off in the distance, at the very end of this dirt road, we could see something. We didn’t know if it was an old house or what, but we decided we needed to go look! Turns out it was just an old corral.
        More horses sitting outside the corral that were ever in it at once!

Now all the corral gathered were tumbleweeds.

To be continued...

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Back on the road through Glenn Canyon. I like this area even better than the Grand Canyon.

We decided to turn and head towards Mexican Hat. There was a place called Moki Dugway, that is basically a dirt road cut into the face of a mesa.

On through open range…

But first, a man at the gas station at Hanksville had told us of a place called Muley Point that was right there as you get to Moki Dugway. He said, “It’s got the best views in the whole area!” So… since the area was already more than you can really take in, we thought we’d give it a try.

What the guy failed to mention, was that is was 3.5 miles down a dirt road that wasn’t packed very well in some spots. Lol.

But… the guy was right!

A view from the edge! Over a mile to the bottom.

http://youtu.be/RDFpd9ciV5M

Back to the highway and on to Moki Dugway.

And a shot from the ground, back up to the Dugway.

We continued on to Mexican Hat, fueled up, then north to Blanding, Utah, for the night. Good/bad choice. Cheap hotel, but dry county and very few restaurants. We had to ride a few miles out of town to get out of the county to get some “Refreshments” for the night.
          Next morning, we got a few miles down the road and stopped for breakfast at the Twin Towers.

From here, we rode to Albuqurque New Mexico and grabbed a hotel. We felt like we were on the set for Breaking Bad. Guys with shaved heads and neck tats leaned against cars, looking around suspiciously. Every now and then, a car would pull up, they’d lean in and talk to them a minute, then the car would drive off and they’d look all around some more. Nice place.
          Next morning, we made a bee-line for home. @ 625 miles for me and a few more for Greg. Great to go on rides, and great to come home and find the locks haven’t been changed and stuff not out in the front yard.

Sorry if it seems like a lot of pics, but I took a whole lot more. Lol.

Finished!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Excellent ride report and pics Tod! Guess when the wife said "ride the whole trip on west with them"........shoulda'/coulda'.....and even had all the necessary RedMontainPass ridin' gear already on board. Been many a decade since I've been thru all those areas.....long enough I'd forgotten what the scenery was like Aside from some of it turning into an unexpected 'adventure' for you and John, the best part is you all got to home-base safe......and the doors weren't locked.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tod always gets the best pics. He just snaps away while he's riding.

Mine never turn out as good.

Great stuff Tod.It was quite an adventure, glad I was along.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

BTW Mr. trbig, my forgetting my card only cost us a couple hours. Your little mishap cost us a day and a half.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

.....not to forget John's tire 'pit-stop' while here at me'casa. And Bob's Connie.....the far -between occassional interruption for a re-fill of corn squeezin's.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Guess when the wife said "ride the whole trip on west with them"........
                    You know.. I thought your wife was an intelligent woman, Brant. But giving you permission to ride around the country with the likes of us, I may just have to question that!

Thanks again for having us!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      BTW Mr. trbig, my forgetting my card only cost us a couple hours. Your little mishap cost us a day and a half.

Agreed. I'll need to grease my rear end more often apparently!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Great report Tod...thanks
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Guess when the wife said "ride the whole trip on west with them"........shoulda'/coulda'.....and even had all the necessary RedMontainPass ridin' gear already on board.
                          Bob Falter has figured out that when his wife says something like that it means " GET OUT, I'M TIRED OF LOOKIN' AT YOUR FACE! I NEED A BREAK!"
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Wow! Those are some excellent pictures! I liked the ones you took at Muley, I could almost hear the John Ford music playing somewhere in the background.

-- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Bob Falter has figured out that when his wife says something like that it means " GET OUT, I'M TIRED OF LOOKIN' AT YOUR FACE! I NEED A BREAK!"
                              I believe since that 'suggestion' came way before your arrival......you 'nailed' it.

Comment

Working...
                              X