Colorado-Utah-Arizona May 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    You know.. I thought your wife was an intelligent woman, Brant. But giving you permission to ride around the country with the likes of us, I may just have to question that!

Thanks again for having us!
    SWMBO told me to tell you all your most welcome ANYTIME, and for Tod,"sorry bout frezzin you out". (the other less intelligent half forgot to flip the thermostat switch on in 5th wheel).
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Great write up and pics, Tod.
      Beautiful pics!
      The first time I went out there when my C14 was new, I went with Cody, Bohn, and Miles. When we stopped at that very spot along the Escalante you got a pic of, we actually met a 20 yr. old girl that had just ridden UP that road on a bicycle! A loaded bike, at that! She told us she had ridden over 400 miles that week alone, and had 1200 more miles before she ended her trip!
      We also couldn't believe she was doing that trip ALONE.

I love all those places, and agree totally with you about the ride between Torrey and Hanksville. Awesome roads and scenery.

If you remember, 2 yrs. ago when we went out there and were headed back, we debated about checking out Mexican Hat and the Mogi Dugway. Brent was all about it. But Cody warned me, saying that area was not a place I wanted to take my Connie. So we went around that. Wow! That place looks cool! (Except for the dirt roads...)

Thanks for completing my favorite part of any trip I've taken with ya...
      The awesome ride report you always post!

One thing we can definitely say about this trip... it WAS an adventure!

Oh... and the pie alamode and coffee John and I had while we waited on you and Greg to get back from retrieving his card was pretty awesome!

Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Epic trip guys....cool write up!!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Quote:

"A motorcycle can’t sing on the streets of a city." Unknown

Comment

... a man at the gas station at Hanksville had told us of a place called Muley Point that was right there as you get to Moki Dugway. He said, “It’s got the best views in the whole area!”

Tod,

Thanks for taking the time to give us all that ride report and those fantastic pics!

Some remarkable scenery on your ride ... and these shots from Muley Point are just, well ... stupendous!! So beautiful ...
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Tod,

I will add a couple photos you may not have.

Here is Motoman's garage upon our arrival.

Brant's better half Anita and their giant 20 pound cat:

Over the shoulder:

You asked for me to find you a long sleeve shirt but they did not have your size:

A nice museum display in the Navajo Nation's Burger King on the Navajo Code Talkers of WWII.

John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Everything you need in a desert gas stop.

A short video of Greg rope-towing you down the mountain.

The French Harley rider tourgroup that caused Zion to come to a stop. Following them through the park was painful. At least the nice Ranger lady let us all in on one Park Pass for our patience.

Springdale motel view.

The Duke in the motel office!

A nice Zion stop.

My Grand Canyon photo.

I found this character in Roswell.

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

So, what went wrong with the Navy bike?
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I was about 6 miles north of Roswell, NM after splitting up with Bob at Clines Corners NM. I was doing about 90 the past hour and let of the gas as I thought I saw a cop ahead (wasn't) and started to hear a loud noise so I slowed to listen and planned to pull to the side at an intersecting county road to check it out.

As I slowed it got louder and when I pulled in the clutch to listen the engine seized. Could not free it with the starter at all. Waited for it to cool, but realzed it was not getting better with time.

AMA towed me to a Hampton Inn in Roswell where my wife brought a trailer to bring me the last 500 miles home.

I have not torn into it but I tend to agree with Tod's guess that the cam chain broke - it sounded like someone banging pots in the top of the engine. I think the sudden decel with some slack may have let it slip a cog too as an option, i had the ACT in there and enough oil so IDK until I open it up.

Maybe Sunday.

John
                  Last edited by jwhughes3; 06-05-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

That's my contented look. I'm smiling inside.

Greg was so happy we could hardly contain him.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Great Pics!

THAT photo is one of my favorites. Greg looks like he just came back from the men's room to discover somebody was eating his Rocky Mountain Oysters while he was gone...and judging by HIS grin, John looks like he could be the guy responsible.

This was disappointing ---
                      while decelerating down a grade, I felt something give in the driveline
                      ---- I was expecting to read that you had just pulled the front wheel up as you crossed the Continental Divide when suddenly .....

Seriously though, that looks like an epic adventure. The pics of the scenery take my breath away, I can't imagine being there in person. How did you guys settle on the route, had you been out that way before? How many miles did you cover over how many days? Real nice camera work and thanks for posting all the pics, very cool story!

And sorry about your break down John, hope you get it all sorted out soon, let us all know what you find.
                      Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Tod's the one!

That spread there was over $100 and we didn't even have a waitress!

I think I had just sat back down from getting up to get eating utensils and such for everyone and Bob sneaked a pic.

I don't know about the others for certain but Tod and I rode on for a couple more days because John and Bob had to get back home. I was almost right at 3500 miles when I pulled into my driveway after just under 10 days.

Like I told the others, I've been through most of those areas on business or moving trips but almost always in the dark. Some of the scenery is really surreal in person. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Could have spent another 10 days or more wandering around out there.

We had a plan when we started out but between dodging weather and breakdowns we had to make some time and route adjustments. Not at all disappointing except we would have liked to have stayed at Zion a lot longer.

This was the scenery in the hotel room in Durango waiting for the drive hub.....

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you've never had the opportunity to visit Springdale, Utah (Zion Nat'l Park) you need to add it to your bucket list. Great place to visit!

Here's a few pics I took from a past visit.
                          Me, after climbing to the top of Angel's Landing-

Springdale-

Zion Canyon-

Even the gas station's backdrop is majestic-

The Virgin River, in the canyon-

The view from the top of Angel's Landing... It's a long way down!

Love that place.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Here's a shot of Bohn climbing Angel's Landing with me...

Brent, carrying leftovers after dinner...

Downtown Springdale, (that's Cody aka Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

They have shuttle busses that will pick you up in many places in town, and take you out to the park. You can ride the shuttle from one end of Zion Nat'l Park to the other (over 10 stops). You can get off at any stop you choose, walk around for 15 minutes, or hike any of the trails you choose all day, then catch the shuttle back into town. Pretty cool.

This year, Bohn's wife Linda and his daughter Jennifer flew into Vegas, then rented a car and drove to Springdale to join Bohn, who rode his bike all the way out there from KC.

Bohn's in incredible shape. He climbed more than one trail this year, joined by Linda and Jennifer!

I gotta tell ya, Angel's Landing, alone, is a real butt kicker by itself! I can't imagine climbing it, then climbing another one that was even higher in the same day! Not bad for 67! His pace is pretty quick, too. He's in far better shape than I am, at 53! Way ta go, Bohn.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Lastly, here's one of me John took at the Lodge at the north slope of the Grand Canyon. This was my 3rd time to make this trip, but the first time in my life to see the Grand Canyon. Wasn't able to see it the past 2 trips.

Scratch another off my bucket list (finally!)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X