Evapo-Rust (Rust Remover) - A 100% thumbs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
    I found that a 5 gallon pail of Metal Rescue is available from Summit Racing for $86.00. I have not seen a better price. Does the electrolysis method work any better than the rust chemicals?
    I don't believe the electrolysis method works better than Metal Rescue. It is a lot cheaper, but more labor intensive.

My tank had rust covering the entire inside of it. I knew I was going to replace the liner with the Caswell epoxy. I removed the rust with phosphoric acid. I filled the tank with water and add two cups of straight acid to it. Overnight, the rust was completely eliminated. I rinsed it with baking soda in solution, dried it and put the liner in it. Acid will take off metal. Metal Rescue will not.

Here is the pdf for doing a motorcycle tank with Metal Rescue.
    Metal Rescue™ Motorcycle Gas Tank De-Rusting Tips

BTW, some Home Depot stores carry Metal Rescue. Maybe you can pick it up close to home. Summit is all the way down in McDonough.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      I don't believe the electrolysis method works better than Metal Rescue. It is a lot cheaper, but more labor intensive.

My tank had rust covering the entire inside of it. I knew I was going to replace the liner with the Caswell epoxy. I removed the rust with phosphoric acid. I filled the tank with water and add two cups of straight acid to it. Overnight, the rust was completely eliminated. I rinsed it with baking soda in solution, dried it and put the liner in it. Acid will take off metal. Metal Rescue will not.

Here is the pdf for doing a motorcycle tank with Metal Rescue.
      Metal Rescueâ„¢ Motorcycle Gas Tank De-Rusting Tips

BTW, some Home Depot stores carry Metal Rescue. Maybe you can pick it up close to home. Summit is all the way down in McDonough.
      So, your saying that the Metal Rescue and the phosphoric acid remove rust equally, but the Metal Rescue is less intrusive?

Mike
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

So, your saying that the Metal Rescue and the phosphoric acid remove rust equally, but the Metal Rescue is less intrusive?

Mike
        Yes. If I were considering not lining the tank. Metal Rescue is the answer. If I'm sure I'm going to line it, phosphoric acid will save me some $$.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Tank Repair

Yes. If I were considering not lining the tank. Metal Rescue is the answer. If I'm sure I'm going to line it, phosphoric acid will save me some $$.
          Marty,

What was the deciding factor for you as to whether or not to use the epoxy liner? Also, for future reference, where did you get the phosphoric acid?

Thanks, Mike
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Marty,

What was the deciding factor for you as to whether or not to use the epoxy liner? Also, for future reference, where did you get the phosphoric acid?

Thanks, Mike
            What decided it for me was that the inside of the tank was completely rusted. I assumed it would come back in a hurry. I picked up the phosphoric acid at The Home Depot.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Metal Rescue has another product that you can spray on or coat with lik the inside of my tank I just poured some in and moved the tank around until I thought it was completely coated.

It's suppose to keep what you treat from rusting for a full year. So before use I will throw a little gas in the tank and swish it around and it will neutralize the product.

It's called DRY COAT RUST PREVENTATIVE.
              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Dry Coat

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
                Metal Rescue has another product that you can spray on or coat with lik the inside of my tank I just poured some in and moved the tank around until I thought it was completely coated.

It's suppose to keep what you treat from rusting for a full year. So before use I will throw a little gas in the tank and swish it around and it will neutralize the product.

It's called DRY COAT RUST PREVENTATIVE.
                Yes, I saw that advertised by Metal Rescue and will likely use it as well.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Progress Report

What decided it for me was that the inside of the tank was completely rusted. I assumed it would come back in a hurry. I picked up the phosphoric acid at The Home Depot.
                  I have completed a second Acetone treatment to my tank. It got out this time what I believe to be all that it is going to get. It does look much cleaner. I will use the abrasive media (stones) next. After that treatment, I will decide which rust removal method to use. Then it will be time to determine whether to install a liner or not.

Mike
                  Last edited by MPittma100; 12-18-2013, 05:05 PM.
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment