No announcement yet.

1992 fzr 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool Kurt...Wheres the like button???
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Got to See & Hear the FZR a few days ago

Kurt sure is making excellent progress on getting this bike roadworthy and ready to ride at the Iron Horse.
      It really is a beautiful machine.

Exhaust note has a real nice GROWL, and has quite the BARK when you open up the throttle

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

FZR Update

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        Got to See & Hear the FZR a few days ago
        ........progress on getting this bike roadworthy and ready to ride at the Iron Horse.................................
        Jeff
        Thanks Ben & Jeff,
        When Jeff was over the other day the rear tire was still more than a bit suspect at 19 years old and we decided not to take her for a ride (although she had honestly been around the block once or twice).
        Made a bunch of progress toward an IH appearance since Jeff's Visit....
        • The Rear Rotor showed up from China ($40 vs. $200)
        • The new Pirelli Diablo II rear FINALLY showed up
        • I was able to get the rear rim cleaned and painted while I waited for the tire.

Overall Progress:
        • I had the bike out today and its idle was high and seemed to be running a little hot too. I acquired a spare water pump to be on the safe side but the cheapo mechanical seal was made different and didn't work correctly (couldn't get the thing closed) so I tossed the kit in the trash and purchased OEM Yamaha parts due this weekend.....
        • Need to replace the slide needles as they were damaged and still unreplaced. This is causing a real RICH studder at low end. Gonna have to dig deep for Titanium needles.
        • I've joined an FZR forum located in England/Europe and am getting several good pointers from those enthusiasts. They saw my video and refer to me as a "Hooligan" my collection of Vintage Yamaha's is referred to as a "Bike Shop" in England. I've extended an offer of a bike to ride (probably the FZR) and transportation from ATL airport to our rally..... Maybe we'll get an English taker???? That would be cool!
        • The FZR was incredibly popular overseas and I've been able to find a few "BITS" over there. Still searching for pieces to the OEM exhaust to eliminate that "BARK" Jeff refers to.... I need to remove the "Hooligan" title associated with loud pipes and spinning tires....
        • There are also a couple differences in the European model of these FZR's and a couple items will be incorporated into this machine....

We all love photos..... here are a couple more....

New rotor is slightly different drill pattern but worked just fine.... Close enough for this restoration. Still looking for SS brake lines to replace this old Junk rubber and make the bike 100% safe

This is the Servo that turns the ExUp valve. My British pals are helping me figure out all the missing stuff. Fortunately, this very hard to find servo was left in the machine by the PO.

I repaired all the broken bolts in the ExUp header and valve I acquired.

The aftermarket NOISY/Hooligan exhaust is 4-2-1 so I can't use the transition pipe to the can from my new header. Worthless......

As they say in Europe finding one of these OEM cans in NICE shape is like trying to find a Virgin on a Unicorn (their term).

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Sincerely,
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

That is looking real nice kurt..cant wait to see in person...a short ride would be cool...dont think those ergos would work very well for me for an all day ride...LOL
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

FZR Update

Vintage Yamaha Friends,
            After a large quantity of work today, I was to take a real ripping ride on the FZR. I AM IN LOVE! This machine still stumbles a little coming out of the low RPMS due to the bad needles (not yet replaced), but this thing is a monster. It's HOOLIGAN loud but that will hopefully be resolved soon.....

Today's Work:

Thanks to my British friends providing instructions, I was able to fairly quickly remove & replace the dust seals, oils seals, and the fork oil with minimal aggravation or pain! Thanks England FZR Club!

Against my better judgement, I did hoist the machine on the aftermarket exhaust. Without a center stand, removing the forks leaves few options.

The forks each came apart quite easily and I might even say this was easier than a conventional fork (i.e. XS11)

Adding some high quality fork oil is aided by a baby bottle I use just for this purpose (no my grand babies won't be drinking from this). I find the small size and CC markings make these a great tool for a bike shop.

While I had the wheel off I had to paint the crusty front rim. Took my time on the rear and did it days before the tire arrived. I should have done this earlier before the new tire was installed but I was in a rush to ride.....Tape-off of the new Pirelli was a task. Done far out in the front lawn to avoid over spray on the other toys.

I wish I would have been able to use a high-quality PPG or professional auto paint but i had no white in stock and there wasn't the ability to get to the auto paint store. I have all the tools and paint my own bikes and cars... Today I had to use the "RATTLE CAN" method. Hopefully, it will stand the test of time.

All put back together and test driven..... Darn I love this thing!!!!

If I can keep this pace of work going, this machine will have no problem making it to our VINTAGE YAMAHA RALLY at the end of September
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Your FZR looks very cool. I'll bet it is fun to ride. Nimble and quick are good.
              79 F
              Previously owned: (among others)
              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

FZR Update

XS11 Friends,

I've been working with a couple guys over in England on the FZR Board and they are helping me a great deal. In between, Jeff, Mike, Scott, Nancy and I made a run to the Iron Horse. We're all looking forward to seeing you there next month and hopefully with this new machine for me. Below, I "reprinted" some of my posts from the FZR Board to share with those I will be seeing next month.

Last weekend I also spent some extra time working on the FZR. As you can see, the OEM needles were severely damaged by sitting in fuel for several years (new FactoryPro needle on right).

The carbs also received new: Main Jets (127.5 & 130), Pilot/Idle Jets, Float Needles, all gaskets & o-rings. Much more tuning work is required as the 4000+rpm results were FANTASTIC.....BUT, the low RPM performance was total POOP. I'm certain it will take several attempts to get the machine performing properly....

Also, I found that the main jets previously installed were very likely drilled out by the PO. The 127.5/130 combination recommended by FactoryPro is a step larger than OEM. YET, the ports in the mains I removed were ENORMOUSLY larger (in terms of jet orifice) than those installed. I suspect strongly that the PO drilled them rather than re-jet with new Mikuni jets. So, re-tuning to proper components will take a bit.

There remain some questions of missing hoses/components for the carbs:

RED - I am aware these atmosphere vent hoses with filter are missing. I am trying to find them on evil bay. Seems when anyone strips/parts one of the machines (assuming the hoses are there) they toss them... The PO had these vents capped off with electrical tape....MY FRIENDS IN ENGLAND HAVE SENT THE PROPER PARTS
                BLUE - Obviously these carbs should have an overflow should a float stick or some other malfunction. Again, removed by the PO and capped off with tape and goo.... I'm trying to figure out where Yamaha routed these? MY FRIENDS IN ENGLAND SENT THE HOSES AND A ROUTING DIAGRAM
                YELLOW ARROWS- Today I noticed one of the formed protrusions on the bottom of one (only 1) of the carb 2->4 bowls was tapped/threaded for a bolt. I'm wondering what was supposed to be mounted on the bottom of a carb? The bowls may have been switched around so I am not sure which one of the 2,3,4 would have something mounted on the bottom of the bowl?
                MY FRIENDS IN ENGLAND SENT ME THE REMOTE IDLE ADJUSTER THE PO LOST

It really is a mess trying to turn one of these back to OEM when so much has been messed around with and or is missing thanks to a stupid PO....

FACTORY EXHAUST.
                I have removed the aftermarket exhaust and acquired ALMOST everything I need to put the ExUp Valve back in the machine. The ExUp valve closes (or modulates) at lower RPM to create more backpressure and increase performance. An aftermarket muffler that removed this device only DECREASED the machine's performance. It was louder, which most of the "KIDS" like but my English friends estimate a severe low end power loss.

NEWLY ACQUIRED FACTORY EXHAUST COMPONENTS:

The muffler (CAN as referred to in England) came from Plymouth England.

MY English friends informed me that Yamaha made this exhaust head pipes of Stainless Steel and I really should polish it.....here is the result of 5 hours work...

I'm missing a mount which is on the way from Manchester

The OEM Can is absolutely ENORMOUS compared to the aftermarket the bike came with. The OEM also has ExUp in the stainless.
                I expect the bike will be much quieter.
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

FZR Update ExUp Valve Repairs.....

Continuation......

The ExUp valve is a complicated little device and most of the components were missing when I purchased the bike. Again, my English friends are helping me acquire all the missing "Bits" and get the thing installed and working properly....

This is the cable interface with the valve. The pulley is damaged, and as you guessed it, another is on the way from England.

Cables come from the SERVO Motor under the right frame rail. The servo was in my bike when purchased. If removed, the ignition will not work so the PO had to leave it in there. Thankfully it was still working well. All I needed to do was buy the cables and get them routed properly.

I've also purchased a COMPLETE set of Stainless Steel brake lines (again from England) and that will complete the safety repairs and make me feel good about driving this beast fast.

One major project I have not even started on is adjusting the valves ALL 20 of them!!! This will be much more complicated than an XS11 as the cams have to come OUT to adjust the FIVE VALVES per CYLINDER!

That's it for now......

KURT
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Hi Kurt,
                    Looking forward to seeing you ride it at VYR. and seeing all the work you have done.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Looking forward also

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      Hi Kurt,
                      Looking forward to seeing you ride it at VYR. and seeing all the work you have done.
                      Phil
                      Phil,
                      I am also looking forward to seeing you and all the others again! Actually, Nancy and I are at the IronHorse RIGHT NOW!!!(again) Wish you were here NOW!

My British friends have been so great helping me I promised one major helper a Iron Horse shirt and then purchased the wrong one.... We're here to get another! And have some extra fun too....

Something Strange....
                      When working with my British friends they were AMAZED I own several XS1100's. "John" (aka Nuggitt) is a major motorcycle enthusiast and is extremely knowledgeable of many machines. He said he hadn't seen an XS1100 in at least 6 or 7 years at any event, ride, or whatever. He loves them and would like to have one of mine!

Here in the USA, I can't find anything that resembles a website, group, club, or anything for my FZR 1000. In England, this machine is some sort of "LEGEND". I'm assuming there is some sort of history or maybe they just sold better over there? They're sight is basically as active as ~XS11.com (not what it may have been at one time....) but England is about 57% the size of California.... Weird how this bike is so popular over there...

I know they have some sort of weird registration system over there based on CC, emissions, and some other weird characteristics. I'm also pretty sure they would be limited on the number of bikes they are allowed to register. They say I would have to register as a "Bike Shop" to own all that I have.

Kurt
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

FZR Update - 08/18/19

XS11 Friends,
                        I'm trying very hard to have this machine ready for the rally although I will certainly be running around most of the time on my "Ugly Ducking" XS11 (the green one). Some of this was reprinted from the site I use in England so some of the words may be a little off - LOL I try to use "Their" english - LOL

I continue to have problems with my FZR carbs, some of my own making, some related to insects.....

Carb Issues
                        I've been trying to "dial in the carbs" and there have been a number of issues. Most notably an overflowing of carb #1 & #2. The problems seemed intermittent and I thought I had Sorted it when debris was found in #1.

Unfortunately, that was not the case......

Creating a fountain of petrol from #1 & #2?

I discovered a very faulty float setting on #2 and corrected it. But, WHY WAS #1 doing this? I recently installed the long-missing overflow hoses which were provided by Nuggitt (my friend in England). I did bit of investigation and found the issue..

We have these creatures/insects in GEORGIA USA referred to as "Mud Daubbers" they are similar to a wasp or hornet and build small nests of mud to lay eggs in. While the bike sat for the previous 5 years one of them made a home here.

Since the newly added drain hose had no where to drain it pushed the petrol over into #1 causing BOTH to overflow because of the bad float setting in #2.

Working Like a Hooligan (embarrassed to say it):
                        While in close proximity to the plugs having removed the carbs again I decided to check the plugs. This should have been one of my first chores but working with excitement to get this machine returned to service I concentrated on all the biggie items and skipped the routine.

I'm embarrassed to have posted this.... STUPID HOOLIGAN!

The plugs have been replaced with new and the coils have been checked. They pass the primary and secondary OHM checks with flying colors (following a very THOROUGH cleaning (Tidy?).

Electrical Gremlins:
                        I've had a flikering high-beam lamp indicator and a bit of variation in headlamp intensity. Typically, bikes this old need a little attention to the connectors and this one is no exception. I've cleaned quite a few and even replaced a couple connectors that were melted.

Today, I found this one covered up with tape by the previous owner.

I have noticed several used generators for sale on Evil-Bay and most (if not all) have some damage to this connector. It APPEARS this is a typical trouble point for this machine?

I got it fixed this morning with some spare XS1100 connectors I swiped off an old spare harness.

No longer red.... but the connectors are tidy and everything seems to work

Hopefully, the fuel system is now tidy....
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

FZR Update - 08/18/19 - ExUp Installed and operational

XS11 Friends.....

Since I haven't posted a recent photo of the machine in a while here it is...

Proper Exhaust system installed!

Proper alignment of the ExUp valve is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to achieve top performance.

All buttoned up and ready for riding pleasure

She would need a little touch-up paint I would love to do before the Vintage Yamaha Rally but that would be impossible to do correctly. It's a PEARL white and rushing that would be a mistake..... Maybe next year.

The muffler came from England and is apparently a little different than the one that would have been used in the USA. There is a certification sticker of some sort that indicates it's approved for use in England. This one is a year older than my machine and includes " ExUp" in the stainless which was discontinued. Personally, I think it's great and is really very quiet....UNTIL ABOUT 7000rpm...Then it's HOLD THE HECK ON TIME!

Just for comparison this is the POS the bike came with (purchase day):

This aftermarket exhaust went out in the trash can last week. Aside from being "Stupid Loud", it was actually rubbing on the swingarm. Good bye P.O.S. Muffer & Header Pipes, you will not be missed!

I had her out today and I've made great progress.....Fastest I have EVER been on two wheels!
                          0 to Stupid Fast in just a few seconds!!

Just got to sort out the midrange as it's a little sluggish 3-4k. Gonna try dropping the floats 1mm and leaning out the mixture 1/2 turn.... Let's see what that will do for her.
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Looking good!
                            79 F
                            Previously owned: (among others)
                            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                            1973 Suzuki TM 125
                            1979 XS1100 F
                            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                            1991 BMW K75

Comment

Outstanding !
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Safety Safety Safety Safety Safety REPLACE THE LINES!

Finally, like everything else, my new brake lines arrived from England. Seems no one in the USA is making a brake kit with SS lines for the FZR.

Obviously these brake lines are FAR BEYOND recommended service life as these are OEM equipment from 12/91 (The bike is a '92). I've seen folks riding bikes with date coded lines from their much older bikes showing as OEM originals. That may be fine for a trailer queen that never ever gets ridden. I get the originality factor for some, and the lack of funds issues for others, but this is just plain UNSAFE running on this old garbage.

The entire set for this high performance machine was less than $150. U.S. DOT and European Approved..... High much out-of-pocket is a hospital stay anyway?

KURT
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky