1992 fzr 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 fzr 1000

A new project for the 2019 Vintage Yamaha Rally?

I am now the proud owner of a 1992 FZR 1000. At more the 25 years old this ole' girl would qualify as a Vintage Yamaha.

Although I own several XS & XJ bikes, none of these machines is a "Hot Rod" or a true "Sport Bike".

I found this one locally and everything seems to be there! It's been sitting for several years and is going to need all the usual items ($$$$$), Tires, Brakes, Carb Rebuilds, Battery, All the Fluids, and a TON OF WORK...….. but it MIGHT just make the Vintage Yamaha Rally.

I don't know too much about this new screamer but it will be an exciting change of pace from my XS11 Specials, XJ Maxim, and XJ SECA.😊 This FZR has the GENESIS 5-Valve per cylinders, water cooled, EXUP exhaust, and was apparently the test platform for the R1 series bikes?

Anyone else got one of these?
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
    Anyone else got one of these?
    Not yet, but reading the history and looking at the numbers, it is as amazing as it looks!!!

I'm afraid it might be your turn to schedule an appointment with Tennessee officer Randy Huckabee.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

That is one nice bike, it was the predecessor to the R1, which came in a lot lighter (440-ish lb vs 520-ish lb) and with more power... but... the FZR is said to have much better ergo’s. With a solid 125-ish hp and well over 70 ft/lbs at the rear wheel in stock form, you have a winner!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

One bike I fell in-love with, but never purchased was an FJR1300. Thinking about it now, I have no regrets not buying it. Older crotch rockets really don't appeal to me anymore. I have my dad's Seca Turbos sitting, and everytime I look at them, I say "boy those are ugly bikes", lol.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

How could you not stand to look at that Seca turbo? Man, wish I was in a position and I could talk to you about it...
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Fjr1300 & fzr1000

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            One bike I fell in-love with, but never purchased was an FJR1300. Thinking about it now, I have no regrets not buying it.
            Ian,
            I've got one of those and have no regrets about buying it! Mine is a never model (2016) but it is the most pleasure to ride of anything I have ever been on! I know some think you sit forward leaning like a "crotch rocket" but I find the posture perfect, I sit basically straight up.

My "Complaints" about the FJR are minimal. 1.) the most aggravating thing is it has all kinds of electronic gizmos but no self-cancelling signals like my 40 year old XS11 has. 2.) a general lack of visual interest/style. It's a "nice" looking bike but the XS, XJ, etc. all had some chrome/bling, flash, cool factor, etc. I find the FJR much less visually appealing than ANY of my vintage bikes.

RE: FZR 1000 Update
            • Got the bike to the house on Saturday.
            • Took carbs apart WHAT A MESS, 5 years sitting with fuel in them (photos later).
            • Cooling system - Another mess
            • Fuel supply - Another mess.
            • Goober & Gomer Pyle Handiwork here & there - Another Mess.
            • Spent more than 8 HOURS cleaning carbs, 4 hours flushing cooling system and fixing GOOBER's misc. handiwork.

End result....
            Running like a SCOLDED DOG at 3:00pm Sunday!
            (Video to follow)
            I'm gonna end up with some tickets from this one!

Now that I am sure it "RUNS", I can buy all the missing and *&$%^$#@^ pieces!
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Running..... 1st time in more than 5 years....

https://youtu.be/GoAfW772I3M

https://youtu.be/fUsfkfZMUOk
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Tell the truth, did you take it around the block too?
                78 E

Comment

I wish!!!

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
                  Tell the truth, did you take it around the block too?

I WISH!!!!!
                  Although the brakes work..... The clutch master is not working. If I had a working clutch yesterday you can be absolutely sure that thing would have been out for a ride even with my Briggs & Stratton tuning tank on the handle bars with zip ties!!!

Here's what the carbs looked like BEFORE I started working on them.... Be advised SOME of the crap had already fallen out when I removed the floats!

Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Wow Kurt......looks like a serious science project.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Someone once observed that most older bikes don't wear out, they die of neglect. Hope you can bring this one back to life!
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Great quote Jerry!

Kurt - that bike looks very cool. It is a time capsule of something we will never see again.

The carb mess over five years is amazing, but I've learened it can be cleaned, as you know. Before seeing stuff on forums from posters like you, I would have given up seeing that. Now I know better

You pics are so nice to see, and I hope we get to follow along and see the bike running at XSSE / Vintage Yamaha

Brian
                        Last edited by dbbrian; 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM.
                        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Kurt, what did you soak them in, sonic cleaner, etc? A bit of your methodology would be cool to hear about!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Am I missing something or is there a very different style/method of float post technology with these carburetors?
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Berryman's Chem-Dip - More work to do....

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              Kurt, what did you soak them in, sonic cleaner, etc? A bit of your methodology would be cool to hear about!
                              Bonz,
                              I've thought of buying a sonic cleaner several times but just never got around to it. I rely heavily on Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner to get carbs clean.

Honestly, I wish I had taken the time to shoot a couple post cleaning photos. But since they are not really done yet, I'll get my chance later.

I did not have ANY new parts (gaskets, jets or anything) for this first thorough cleaning. Also, these buggers are the most complicated carbs I've ever seen making the XS11 BS series carb a piece of cake by comparison.

My son had to hold the set still while I used a variety of tools including left drill bits, punches, chisels, screw drivers, small vice grips, easy outs, and everything else I could find just to get the bowls off. These were SOOOOOO bad I actually had to beat the emulsion tubes out of them with a punch and a small hammer after soaking hours in Kroil Oil (they survived).

YES. The floats on these are completely removable and made of two-piece PLASTIC. The NEEDLE is traditional style with the viton tip which seals shut into the plastic holder. The "holder" of the float is inserted in that round hole in the corner. The "POST" is part of the assy and has an O-ring on it to seal into the supply tunnel. The bowl actually presses the float assy into that corner spot and maintains the seal with the carb base.

I'll post a more detailed overview of the way I clean carbs as quickly as possible. Step one is to fork over ~$30 for a 1-gallon can of Berryman Chem-Dip which comes with a parts basket inside. A gallon lasts a very good while and can be found at most auto parts stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Prod...a-714363490952

Kurt
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky