Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misunderstanding.....& A Cheap Hobby

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Running a 1990 tire and joking about having already replaced the 1985 tire is just not smart. Don’t want that near anyone on any kind a ride I’m a part of.
    Bonz,
    You misunderstood. Mike also recently acquired an older VMAX bike which came with the 34 year old tires. The "Joke" was that some other *&^$# P.O. was riding around on this crap. Just like every bike I pick-up, he and I both find that the previous owners ride their machines on garbage. We both ride extremely safe machines.

NOT SO FUNNY RELATED/SIMILAR STORY:
    A year or so back, I posted up here that I had replaced the brake lines on one of my bikes with new SS lines. It is absolutely done on EVERY bike I own before I start any real driving. Although I honestly have gone around the block on the old ones at couple times.

A person from this site sent me message after message after message begging me to send him my old set. My response was "What the *&&^^%$% are you wanting 37 year old brake lines for? These are DECADES beyond useful life!!"

"I only want them to test my bike and can't afford to buy new ones yet" was his response. Knowing full well that this person would likely be on the road with these I chopped them in pieces and tossed 'em in the trash..... They were obviously not mailed to the requester.

CHEAP HOBBY? NOT AT ALL!
    Another rant coming.....
    Somewhere somebody gave a bunch of folks the idea that motorcycling is an inexpensive hobby. These people buy a $300-500 bike and are upset they need to spend another $500+ just to replace the tires, brakes, hoses, etc. and they want to argue that what they have is good.
    This is NOT a cheap hobby. Sure you can pinch-a-penny on paint, decals, chrome, and even drive around on a torn up old seat. but the Tires, Brakes, Hoses, and PROPER routine maintenance is NOT CHEAP.

Rant over.....
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Counterpoint

Kurt: ...and I thought you were about to tell us about the time you rode a bike without any brakes at all.

I still think my motorcycle hobby is cheap.

If I add up all the cost in my 7 registered bikes and parts, it is still far less than the cost of one new Harley.

It's half the cost of one old muscle car.

Maybe about the same cost as a few ski trips, or heaven forbid, the cost to visit Disney World a few times.

For all the enjoyment I have had, I think it's cheap.

Rationalization over.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Lol, I totally misread that!
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Black or White?

XS Friends,
          OK. Need an opinion (or two or three).

Mirrors were junk and beat to death. No chance of rescue....

I purchased some EMGO replacements, decent quality but certainly not OEM. They are supposed to come in Black and White but NO ONE has the whites or is willing to order them so I took the black ones. I've seen these bikes with both but WHITE is OEM and SEEMS (?) to maybe look better on the bike?

But the black is beginning to grow on me....maybe just a little....

The intention here is to bring this back to life as a RESTORATION not a resto-mod like most of my other bikes..... I guess maybe they have to be white?

Painting these will be troublesome to say the least.....

THOUGHTS???

Kurt
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Black seems to be less obvious to the eye, if that's important. The white may be OEM, but the black looks better (IMHO).
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

Black

I think the black looks a lot better.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Ditto. Black looks a bunch better.

Pick up a set of white ones for when you take it to a bike show, when you can finally find them, run the black ones in the meantime.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I wear a white helmet for visibility so I will go against the grain and say white.
                  Steve R

'80 SG
                  "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                  1978 XS400E Red
                  1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

My first reaction was the black looks better. However I think white is a signature of the bike, and the black is the FJ1200 look.

So if you want the FZR recognition, go with the white.
                    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Thanks for the input!!!!

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                      I think white is a signature of the bike
                      All,
                      I appreciate all the feedback. I also agree the black looks better BUT as Brian stated, this is a signature of the bike.....and it certainly makes the bike more visible.

I will try to find someone that will order the white ones. Painting these would be nearly impossible as they can't be disassembled and there would always bee some problem with the paint in the jam area at the pivot.

For the moment, they are better and safer than what I had....

Thanks again,
                      KURT
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

You know you're going to need a backpack to look complete on that bike.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

FZR Update

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                          You know you're going to need a backpack to look complete on that bike.
                          LOL! I have one! This thing comes with mounting pins for a cargo net for over the rear seat section....

FZR Update: Parts, Parts, More Parts
                          Well I've got parts coming in from all over the place and the UPS & FedEx guys are going to be busy at my house.
                          • New Pirelli Diablos are on the way from California
                          • A new rear rotor is enroute from Taiwan ($50 vs. $250 Yamaha)
                          • The correct factory OEM ExUp Exhaust is coming from Minnesota.
                          • Still trying to find an OEM muffler/silencer (darn thing is WAY TOO LOUD)
                          • Fuel pump coming from Caltric....
                          • Proper Carb rebuild kits coming from China ($40 vs. >$200 here)
                          • Owners manual coming from somewhere in US.

What's been done:
                          • Petcock, Fuel sensor, all fuel lines and clamps & filter all replaced with OEM (Damaged with gas sitting over 5 years.... (See photo).
                          • OEM color added back to the gauges, supports, and grips.
                          • Front and rear brake pads replaced (needs a rotor thanks to metal on metal).
                          • Radiator hoses and OEM Yamaha temp sensor (OUCH! that one was pricey ). Hoses are long discontinued but Summit Racing had some 1" heater hose that has done the trick.
                          • Complete cooling flush too. Had some AUDI coolant handy....Yamaha doesn't seem to mind..... Might just replace the water pump haven't pulled it but being a little cautious can't hurt
                          • Oil & filter has been changed twice to assure all the muck is predominately gone.
                          • Replaced front badly damaged turn signals with re-pops
                          • Replaced rear tail lamp (badly melted by loose bulb) and installed LED bulbs.
                          • Replaced rear fender - MIA on purchase. Had been removed apparently to "Cool Up" the bike.....STUPID!
                          • New Battery - Maintenance Free Model
                          • Clutch Master & Slave completely rebuilt with new seal kits.
                          • Chain guard replaced (brackets found in Germany couldn't find here) was MIA on purchase.
                          • Tank completely cleaned, degreased, and liner installed.
                          • Repaired a couple fairing cracks and one decent size hole using 3M Structural Repair/Bond Kit.
                          • Cleaning, Cleaning, More Cleaning, and More Cleaning yet to do.

What I have even started on:
                          • Need some SS brake lines as these are all OEM 27 years old..... not so many options for these and it seems only folks in England sell them.
                          • Front calipers need a rebuild.
                          • Front forks need dust seals, a good cleaning and some new oil (hopefully that's it)
                          • Want to add the European style lamp they have on theirs. They refer to this as a "PARKING LAMP?" fits in the little hole above the main lamp. In the USA these just got a small filler panel. The European LEFT control also has a lamps off/on/PARK setting we don't have here.... Thought this would be cool to add an it is "OEM" (sort of).
                          • Gotta find control cables for the ExUp valve in the exhaust (once the header arrives from MN). I have the Servo motor it was left in the bike but the previous IDIOT removed the fancy OEM exhaust that helps produce more low end power in favor of a noisy a$$ D&D header... DUMB!
                          • Would like to buy the rear seat COWL? They offered in Europe for this model. Covers the rear seat section and looks pretty cool. I THINK this was an OEM option.
                          • Would like to figure out how the heck this fuel system is SUPPOSED to work (hence the purchase of the operators manual. Apparently, the switch on the left (On/Reserve) turns the fuel pump off after the sensor (see photo) says "None up here". Switch to reserve to suck the tank dry? I GUESS that is how it works. There is no fuel gauge. Guess this is why there guys are always popping the cap and sloshing the bike back & forth to look in and see. Come on Yamaha? Even my 40 year old XS11 special has a lamp to tell my dumb a$$ we're getting close to the bottom
                          • All the wheel bearings will need to be inspected (at least) lubricated and all the seals are going to need to be replaced as a safety measure.
                          • Gotta find a decal kit to replace all the damaged decals and repaint as needed.
                          • Chain and sprockets look good (for now) but the factory rubber guide for the swing arm is needing replacement as it is gone (OUCH! $$$ from Yamaha still available). That's the rattly noise heard in my videos. Gotta pull the swing arm to replace that so there are some more bearings that will need the once-over at least.

What is the cure for this disease of buying these old (and beautiful) machines only to spend countless hours and $$$$$$$ fixing some other idiots dumbness? Darn I LOVE this bike.... It does move like a scolded dog.

Before instruments have the KIDDY touch!

After instruments have the OEM look. New grips with just a touch of red rather than those big fuzzy red ones. Bar end weights and fairing support repainted the proper black rather than the KIDDY TOUCH red

Look at the damage gas did to the aluminum of this fuel sensor...
                          (old vs. NEW $$$$$)

Rear Brake Pads..... YEP! He ATE THE ROTOR!

This machine is REALLY COOL! Don't need to do more than pull a couple pins and replace the pads (front or rear) in like 5 minutes!!!! But instead, the previous "DUMMY" ground the brakes into the rotor!
                          This must be some sort of "Racing" set-up transferred to the street screamers as this quick change brake system is new to me. I'm GUESSING the racers change pads like they do their tires to meet road conditions and tracks etc.

That's it for now.... Any thoughts???
                          Last edited by kboehringer; 06-29-2019, 10:04 PM. Reason: I had spelling and grammar errors!
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Nice stuff! I think you are correct about the pad replacement and needing to do it fairly quickly for the type of bike it was back in the day.

Similarly, I replaced front pads on the ZRX last weekend, readying for the Colorado Rally in Durango next week. I am running GSXR front calipers, replaced the stock ZRX units a number of years ago. These are lighter and have more piston area for a bit more bite. There’s one slide pin held in place with a cotter pin, remove the slide pin, drop out the old shoes, drop in the new shoes, reinsert slide pin and cotter pin. I think it took me less than five minutes to do both sides. Makes sense since the calipers came from a GSXR they would be quick-change based on what you said.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

With a pad replacement on my list, I would say we all would appreciate a 5 minute change, so we can get back on the road!

Brian
                              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

FZR Update

XS11 Friends,
                                Have made some more progress on the FZR and got a chance to show the bike to Jeff yesterday as we replaced his fuse box on the Baltimore bike. We also got a chance to talk a little about a shirt for VYR 19 and the master has great ideas a usual.

Here's the update:
                                Front tire replaced with a Pirelli Diablo.

Obviously the old tire (19 years old) was not safe even for the short ride around the block. Rear tire was a back order so it will be here Monday per UPS.

Ya'll would not have liked to see the way I got that front tire off! Darn that was scary. These bikes have no center stand and I have yet to acquire a fork lifting pit bull for the front. With the help of some muscular neighbors, Nancy, a floor jack, and two jackstands, I was able to get it done.... Damn ugly process! Be thankful for a centerstand!!! I still need to perform a complete clean & refurbish of the forks so a motor hoist will be needed to pick up the bike and drop the forks.....not looking forward to that one!

I have a stand for the rear that needed to be heavily modified to work on this machine. My FZR is a little older and does not have a provision for "SPOOLS" frequently added to the newer machines where there is a provision for them. These engage the lifts. This machine is too old and does not have the provision.

Purchased a replacement OEM exhaust system with the ExUp (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve) to replace the aftermarket "NOISE MAKER" and return the bike to OEM form. The aftermarket "Noise Maker" would have DECREASED the performance of this machine which is designed for higher back pressure by use of the ExUp value at lower RPMs. Jeff an I discussed this during his visit...... Sure it SOUNDS "COOL" to the young kid and the performance difference is unlikely to be noticed by anyone during "STREET" use but what a waste of money to cause a DETRIMENTAL effect on the machine..... UGH!

Had to repair a few broken bolts but that work is now done and the header is ready. Still need a couple more missing brackets, a real QUIET muffler, and the actuator cables for the ExUp valve.

Purchased a stone guard for the radiator only to find it was too small! UGH and Yamaha apparently increased the radiator size and discontinued the guard for the '92 model. I may fabricate a bracket to keep it in use although the likelyhood of something hitting it is truly minimal as the fender is really good and should not permit any rock damage. Fortunately the radiator guard was pretty cheap (<$20) and I didn't spend much time painting it.... UGH

I'm hunting ENDLESSLY for a rear seat "COWL" like the one shown here. THIS IS NOT MY BIKE...... I WISH! This one has only 6500 miles and is the bike of a member from the FZR site I have joined...

I love the look of this as a single-seater. The seating configuration is questionable for anyone as a passenger and Nancy will certainly not "Fit" up there. So, the addition of the COWL is preferred....

That's it for today......
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky